- January 20, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The Belgian bilateral cooperation has been active in Uganda for more than 20 years, supporting the Government of Uganda in its development agenda in various (sub)sectors: health, teacher education, skills and employment, environment, climate-smart infrastructure, etc.
Enabel has formulated a 5-year portfolio on Social Protection and Decent Work with the aim of ensuring a sustainable improvement of the living conditions of the most vulnerable populations in Uganda, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. This will be achieved through investing in social protection systems and decent work in order to promote sustainable, inclusive and socioeconomic development.
The project focuses on the labour component of social protection, with a particular focus on four strategic areas: (a) creation of decent work and productive employment, (b) social protection, (c) rights at work and (d) social dialogue. Special attention will further be given to the formalisation of informal work and gender. In Uganda, the target sectors will majorly be agriculture, tourism and hospitality in the Rwenzori/Albertine region.
Enabel is therefore looking for an Expert in order to support in the implementation of this task.
Joining Enabel as an Expert in Decent Work and Social Protection you will be directly reporting to the Project Manager for Decent Work and Social Protection.
You will be responsible to work closely with a team of experts (3 people) in charge of the 4 Results of the project:
- Decent employment is created and enhanced for youth and women in agriculture, tourism and the green economy;
- Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work for formal and informal workers are better respected, protected and fulfilled;
- Workers and their families have increased access to existing social protection mechanisms covering health and maternity risks;
- Tripartite representative actors engage in effective Social Dialogue for advancing the Decent Work Agenda.
- You contribute to the implementation of the project in the area of decent work & social protection by taking part in the planning, execution, coordination, and monitoring and evaluation of activities;
- You advise on the basis of your technical expertise, in order to achieve performance in the areas of decent work, social protection, workers’ rights and social dialogue (in accordance with national and international norms and standards);
- You organise knowledge building and knowledge management in order to document best practices and lessons learned throughout the project life cycle You contribute to capacity development of partner organisations.
· Master’s degree in Law, Economics, Education, Development or a comparable field of studies**.**
Required experience **
· At least 5 years of relevant experience in decent work;
· A minimum of 4 years of demonstrated experience in Africa in the area of (youth) skills development, youth entrepreneurship promotion, social dialogue and workers’ rights;
· Proved experience with international exposure;
· An experience in working with officials of government ministries, private sector, Civil Society Organizations (CSO), employers’ and workers’ organizations is an asset;
· An experience in setting social protection mechanisms is an asset;
· An experience in Gender Responsiveness at the workplace is an asset;
· An experience in digitalization in the sector (matching platform) is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
· Good knowledge of aspects of international development (context, challenges, application, partners, functioning…);
· Ability to implement a change process;
· Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team;
· Knowledge management and knowledge building;
· Results-based management;
· Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes;
· Ability to use new technologies used in the area of expertise;
· You are fluent in spoken and written French or Dutch. Considering the working language of Uganda and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of English is required.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
· A fascinating job in an international environment.
· A contract of 48 months. You are based in Kampala with frequent travels Rwenzori and Albertine regions in the first year. In the remaining years of implementation, you will be based in Fort Portal.
· A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
· In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The various amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this recruitment procedure a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
How to apply
Are you interested?
Apply here at the latest by 09/02/2022 and include your application letter and updated CV.**
Only applications submitted via the above link will be considered.