- December 24, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Reports to: Finance & Administration Officer
Duration of contract: One year, with possibility of renewal
Farm Radio International (FRI) is a Canadian non-profit organization at the forefront of ICT-enabled extension and communication for scale. FRI’s interactive rural radio approach addresses the information, communication and extension needs of millions of women and men small-scale farmers, rural entrepreneurs and citizens. FRI’s core expertise is participatory, collaborative, results-based program development combining radio and mobile phones, other ICTs and face-to-face interaction. FRI has developed a series of interactive radio-based approaches tailored to achieve different outcomes: awareness, knowledge; market linkages; application and adoption of good agriculture and health practices; and changes in attitude and behaviour. FRI is executing projects in thirteen countries in sub-Saharan Africa, including Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Malawi (with Farm Radio Trust), Mali, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania and Uganda.
Starting in January 2022, FRI will start implementing an initiative known as “**Dialogue and Knowledge Sharing Platform project in Uganda”** to provide leadership to the development of radio-based e-extension platforms that offer farmers and rural communities sustained, high quality e-extension services. Centered on a regular weekly or bi-weekly radio magazine offered by 12 Ugandan radio stations, the e-extension platforms will be supported and sustained by a wide range of stakeholders, including public policy makers, knowledge partners, extension service providers (public and private sector), civil society organizations, development project proponents, sponsors and advertisers, as well as radio station management. **
We are looking for a Finance and Administration Assistant to join the team in working on this project.
Under the direct oversight of the Finance & Administration Officer, the Finance & Administration Assistant is expected to provide professional expertise in the conduct of financial & administration affairs related to the projects in Uganda.
Roles and Responsibilities include the following.
- Properly file all documents in accordance with FRI set policies and procedures and/or donor requirements. This includes maintaining financial files (both physical and soft copies)
- Implement financial policies and procedures of FRI and donors
- Carry out weekly cash counts and reconciliations
- Ensure that full accountabilities (documentation) are obtained for all expenditures in order to verify and validate all financial claims
- Prepare weekly cashbooks with complete documentation for review by the Finance Officer
- Accurately prepare necessary documents, compile source documents and daily postings of all cash transactions in the cash book
- Support the Finance and Administration Officer to adequately prepare for both internal and external audits
- Scan vouchers and supporting documents for filing on the FRI Google drive on a monthly basis
- Ensure safe guarding of the available funds
- Prepare payment vouchers and review order requests in accordance with approved authority matrix and running budgets
- Assist Finance Officer in petty cash management and cashbook management including processing of payments.
- Assist Finance Officer in monitoring and forecasting cash requirements to meet administrative and program expenditures
- Assist Finance Officer in implementation of contracts of procurement of goods and services as required by Project activities, plan and budget
- Provide support in the restocking and proper storage of office supplies and inventory
- Assist Finance Officer to ensure that contracts are respected and paid for in accordance to agreed terms and conditions of payment
- Assist in maintenance of personnel files including administration of timesheet, leave records and payment schedules of salaries and benefits.**
- Assist Finance Officer in compliance with local laws including legal registrations, tax administration, statutory remittances and reporting and liaison with local authorities**
- Assist Finance Officer in ensuring office administration activities are performed with efficiency and are in compliance with policies and best practices.**
- Assist Finance Officer and collaborate as necessary with in-house technology specialist for improving information and record management for personnel and office administrative management**
- Respond orally and in writing to inquiries concerning the project
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Finance, or equivalent
- Proven track record in sound decision making, confidentiality, integrity and working independently
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in working in accounts/finance office is desirable.
- Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheet, accounting packages (QuickBooks is desirable); emails and online communications and MS Word, Excel
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills is necessary along with capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in concise and clear manner
- Experience with Payment by Result mechanism is a strong asset
- Experience in working with non-governmental organization (INGOs) and donors is an asset.
- Experience working with ethnically diverse communities and with projects implementing gender-mainstreaming strategies
- Demonstrated high-level written and verbal communication skills in English
How to apply
Farm Radio is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of colour and members of equity-seeking communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
FRI is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To submit your application, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com and reference the position (Finance and Administration Assistant) in the subject line. Please note that we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview. No phone calls please.