The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1300 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 120 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
- Prepares monthly accounting, including but not limited to: preparing accounting lists, monthly spending overviews for departments, checking bankstatements;
- Processes reimbursement and payment requests and supports team to ensure all requests are submitted accurately, on time, that the team’s thorough understanding of all requirements is ensured on a continuousbasis and works with the team to resolve issues surrounding reimbursement and payment process;
- Diligently checks invoices to be paid and supporting documentation to be aligned with internal policies and procedures, best financial management and accounting practices, and department budgets;
- Assists in project financial management including financial reporting and allocation of expenses to funders;
- Supports various project, organizational and annual accounts auditing processes;
- Maintains both electronic and physical filingsystems; including expenses tracking, maintaining financial records, filing and archiving of receipts, invoices, managing accountsreceivableetc.;
- Maintains, configures and updates internal CAN databases and online tools as needed;
- Assists team members and consultants with finance and administration questions, develops and delivers trainings to ensure new and existing staff are properly informed of all requirements;
- Actively contributes to reporting, knowledge-management and monitoring, evaluation, innovating and learning efforts ofCAN;
- Assists the Operations Coordinator in the organization of events, on the financial side;
- Completes other duties as assigned.
The job holder must possess the following requirements with or without a reasonable accommodation:
Education and Professional Qualifications:
· University degree or equivalent professional experience in a relevant field;
Job-Related Experience & Knowledge:
· Previous professional experience working with Excel, electronic filing, and electronic systems development;
· Previous experience in financial management in an international organization or a non-governmental association, previous experience with tax-exempt non-profits a plus;
· Experience managing finances and accounting
· Experience working with European and German donors is an asset;
· Job-Related Skills/Abilities:
· Ability to work independently and in a remote office environment;
· Comfortable communicating over email, Slack and using other online management tools;
· Extremely detail-oriented;
· Knowledge of technologies, their functions, and how to implement them within an NGO or non-profit space;
· Outstanding organizational and time management skills;
· Ability to meet competing deadlines and work in a fast-paced high-pressure environment;
· Strong interpersonal skills, and trustworthy;
· Ability to coordinate and administer meetings using digital communication platform applications, such as Slack and Zoom and Project Management Software such as Monday.com
· Highly experienced in Excel, electronic filing, and electronic systems development
· Excellent computer skills, including word-processing, accounting software -preferably experience with DATEV
· Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English. Fluency in German a strong asset.
· Ability to travel internationally up to 10% of the time.
How to apply
● Send a motivation letter and CV as one PDF file to email@example.com, with subject line: Finance Officer
● The deadline for applications is 4 September 2020 COB.
● Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
● CAN is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to make positions accessible to all regardless of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, disability, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, marital or parental status, etc.