- July 14, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Background Information – Job-specific
**THIS VACANCY IS OPEN TO INTERNAL UNOPS CANDIDATES ONLY.**
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS is composed of seven teams – one team for each of the six practice areas, and the surge team that was recently established to provide ad hoc support to country offices. IPAS has three main roles:
- Support to operations in the country offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
- Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the country offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
- Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
You can meet our team and get a sneak peek of our working environment in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8CyuSqczvI&feature=youtu.be
1. Leadership role
The Finance Senior Manager leads IPAS Finance Team and reports to the Head of IPAS. He/she works closely with the other IPAS team leads to ensure an integrated and harmonised approach in the three roles of IPAS. Team leads in IPAS are responsible for building and maintaining effective relationships with country offices, and stakeholders at HQ. Each team lead is expected to cultivate and strive for an inclusive and high-performing team for IPAS overall, that enables UNOPS to deliver its mission to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
The role of the IPAS Finance team lead requires good understanding of the operational context UNOPS works in e.g. field experience is a key asset for this position. The IPAS Team Lead is a good communicator, open to challenges and complex situations. He/she will have the analytical and strategic skills to propose and implement plans to address operational matters, remove blockages and follow through with opportunities. He / she is driven by the six “success factors” that define the IPAS way of working – quality orientation, being a trusted advisor, striving for efficiency, having a team centred approach, client focus and being equal partners. The team leads are expected to travel regularly.
2. Core functions:
The IPAS Finance team works under the leadership of the Senior Finance Manager in the three areas of IPAS’ mandate, e.g. supporting operations, business efficiency and knowledge management. It is composed of around twenty colleagues in three teams. In this regard, the Senior Finance Manager will lead the following functions under the three teams:
A. Project Finance
- Lead the IPAS Finance team to undertake reviews and provide advisory to country offices on new projects (engagements) in regards to financial viability, risk exposure, and set-up of financial management and controls;
- Highlight high risk engagements and provide advice to senior management on potential mitigation strategies;
- Ensure an integrated and coordinated approach with other IPAS reviewers.
- Lead the IPAS Finance team in providing operational support to offices in the area of project finance;
- Continuously strive to improve project finance in regards to compliance, oversight and risk management at local level.
B. Corporate Financial Reporting
- Lead all aspects of the monthly, quarterly and year-end closures of accounts that fall under IPAS Finance;
- Support the accuracy, integrity, quality and timeliness of financial reporting and transactions;
- Support IPSAS compliance initiatives – policies, regulations, rules, procedures;
- Initiate or support initiative for system or tool improvements ;
- Lead the implementation of audit recommendations that are related to IPAS Finance and coordinate the collection of audit samples and requirements during internal/external audit exercises.
C. Treasury and Banking – middle office
- In collaboration with the Front Office, support the establishment, management and maintenance of arrangements with commercial banks and multilateral institutions to effect cost-effective and secure payments;
- Ensure adequate control and oversight are in place for all banking operations (e.g., payments, reconciliations, deposits, etc.)
- Oversee the monthly reconciliations of UNOPS bank accounts to ensure compliance with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Support the establishment, management and maintenance of arrangements with commercial banks and multilateral institutions to effect cost-effective and secure payments;
- Maintain and update SoPs on cash accounting, financial transactions and accounting, cash management and forecasting, and GL reconciliation;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of corporate systems and tools.
D. Business Efficiency
- Ensure a systematic approach to collect and address issues, feedback and suggestions from operations in regards to improvements of policies, processes and systems related to finance.
- Work closely with Finance Group and other HQ units to address business critical issues and find solutions that are fit for purpose and contribute with specialist and practical knowledge to policy development to be responsive to UNOPS strategy; to improve efficiencies and strengthen internal controls.
- Ensure data analytics of IPAS Finance related data to identify risks, opportunities and trends;
- Contribute to cross-functional initiatives to ensure that internal policies, processes and systems and tools are aligned with the overall regulatory framework, practical, relevant and add value to organisational operations.
3. Team management
- Supervise and lead the IPAS Finance team, to ensure that team members are motivated in a trusting and supporting environment that fosters ownership, innovation and learning.
- Facilitate and encourage interaction and collaboration between the IPAS Finance team and the other IPAS teams and other stakeholders such as policy groups, implementing units and external parties.
- Work with data analytics and evolve the risk approach to keep track of workload and trends of IPAS Finance activities and tasks, in order to efficiently manage the team and workload.
4. Knowledge management and capacity building
- Ensure knowledge and information on financial matters is maintained and shared actively within the team, and packaged in appropriate formats that can be easily communicated with the country offices.
- Keep abreast of external developments and best practices and provide recommendations to relevant stakeholders
- Provide regular feedback to internal clients on challenges, gaps and possible areas of improvement
- Develop a strategy to ensure knowledge transfer and capacity building related to project finance, and work closely with other IPAS teams to provide integrated trainings where relevant.
**THIS VACANCY IS OPEN TO INTERNAL UNOPS CANDIDATES ONLY.**
- Master’s Degree in Finance Accounting or related fields is required.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- An internationally recognized professional finance or accounting certification (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CPA, etc.) is an advantage.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of experience in financial management or accounting positions at multinational organisations, with a minimum of 4 years in supervisory roles.
- Demonstrated experience in financial accounting and reporting in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards or International Financial Reporting Standards,
- Experience in implementing new or improve existing digital systems, including developing requirements, is desirable
- In depth understanding of financial management and operations processes in the United Nations is an advantage.
- Experience working in field offices is required;
- Strong knowledge of operational processes is essential.
- Fluency in English required.
- Fluency in French or Spanish is a significant advantage.
- Working knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: FTA Contract level: P4 Contract duration: One year, renewable
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link*:* https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 5,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,400 personnel recruited on behalf of our partners, spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse labour force — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs. We continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage the recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
How to apply
UNOPS Website: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=24224#1