- May 26, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGO’s is recruiting for a highly qualified Head of Support Services to support DRC’s support services across the large and diverse humanitarian operation in South Sudan.
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is operational in South Sudan since 2005, working with the overall aim of achieving durable solutions for displaced populations. The Humanitarian and Disarmament activities started in 2006.
Danish Refugee Council main programme objectives (2020-2025) in South Sudan are:
- To save lives and alleviate suffering among displaced people and their hosts
- To reduce displacement related risks and support and facilitate solutions
- To promote peaceful, inclusive and resilient societies and address root causes to displacement
DRC primarily operates across Upper Nile and Unity states and other parts of the country, both of which are heavily affected by conflict and experience high numbers of internally displaced populations as well as refugees in need of humanitarian assistance. DRC has operational bases in Maban, Malakal, Kodok in Upper Nile, in Bentiu, Mayom, Kodok, Central Equatoria (Magwi and Ngulere), Ajuong Thok in Unity state, and the Mobile Response Team and all are supported by a country-office in Juba.
DRC recently developed important multi-sectorial mobile response teams based in Juba able to rapidly respond to new and urgent humanitarian situations countrywide at short notice to conduct assessments and responses
Overall Purpose of the role
The Head of Support Services will ensure an effective and efficient support services in areas of Finance, Human Resources & Administration, Supply Chain & IT, Risk & Compliance
The Head of Support Services is expected to have senior level management experience and a demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and resource mobilization, be able to conceptualize and articulate DRC’s vision, and have the strong oral and written communication skills required to translate vision into action. You will play a key role in developing and implementing country-specific strategies as well as improving operational systems, processes, and policies in support of DRC’s mission.
The HoSS is a member of the Senior Management Team, with overall responsibility of program support and timely completion of annual performance indicators under support functions. S/he also plays a significant part in qualifying and implementing initiatives coming from the global and regional DRC organizational development and financial accountability initiatives. Furthermore, s/he will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Area Managers, Sector Coordinators and Project Managers regarding all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks.
The Head of Support Services main duties and responsibilities are:
- Lead and manage the support managers (recruiting, performance, well-being, and development)
- Manage, deliver, and report on current operations program support in geographic scope
- Establish high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance, and systems, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management, and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Program operates in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines
Support Services Management
- Provide strategic guidance to the HR/Admin department to develop and implement DRCs HR policy in South Sudan.
- Provide strategic guidance for national staff management, career & development.
- Provide strategic guidance for expatriates’ recruitment and induction process.
- Provide strategic guidance to ensure appropriate stress management and care for Expatriates and National Staff.
- Lead on DRC South Sudan annual master budgets and ensuring that monthly monitoring of expenditure informs management decision making.
- Lead on the effective implementation and adherence of organization and stakeholder financial regulations.
- Overseeing the operationalization of the contextual/localized finance handbook.
- Ensure the timely implementation of DRC’s internal audit and compliance specialist’s recommendations and contextualize HQ understanding of local challenges.
- Ensure the implementation of sustainable and robust supply chain and financial system for an efficient and effective support to all DRC South Sudan programs and support services.
- Ensure an efficient ICT Operating environment is in place to meet operational needs.
- Participate as a member of the SMT in the development of the mission, the Country Policies, and the Annual Plan in accordance with the DRC relevant Global Policies and guidelines.
- Responsible for maintaining and improving resource management in the mission, together with SMT.
- Identifying both short term and long-term resource needs and translate these into objectives and priorities for future DRC projects in South Sudan.
- Advise and inform the CD regarding the development, monitoring and assessment of the ongoing programs in terms of resource management.
- Participate as a member of the SMT in drafting project proposals, and on the use of resources according to budgets and policies.
- Together with the Head of Programs, lead the mainstreaming of Project Cycle Management throughout the organization.
- Leading the development and improvement of resource management component of the annual results contract between DRC HQ and the country office in Juba. Ensuring timely quarterly reporting against results and follow- up action.
- Ensure that South Sudan Operation complies to DRC Risk Management Framework, and operational Compliance Tools and processes are duly implemented.
- Substitute the Country Director when is requested as such (leaves, field visits, long meetings etc)
Policies and procedures
- Establish or improve resource management procedures according to DRC standards and guidelines.
- Ensure the overall planning of the resources, including the reviewing and updating of the Country Polices, the Annual Plan in consultation and collaboration with the SMT.
- Ensure cross department preparation of Project Proposals, Budgets and Evaluations, in consultation and collaboration with the SMT.
- Regular review and improvements to Country SOPs to ensure the internal control environment strengthened as well as develop policies as required where gaps are noted.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure DRC ERP functionalities are properly rolled out and used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Ensure DRC ERP functionalities are properly rolled out and used by relevant staff
Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverable.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Experience and technical competencies:
To be successful in this role we expect you to have at least 7 years of experience in relevant fields: Finance, Administration, Human Resources, IT, Supply chain. Process oriented, organized, and able to develop policies, you also have strong managerial skills and are a good team player.
Other experiences and technical competencies:
- A Master’s Degree or advanced professional qualification in Finance or Business Administration.
- At least 4 years’ experience in a similar role in an international NGO
- Proven leadership skills and competences in people management
- Proven operational management experiences and capability, including in conflict areas
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Notable experience in project proposals and resource planning. Knowledge of institutional fundraising and of donor guidelines and procedures
- Experience working in an ERP system, including Supply Chain, Finance and HR systems
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Ability to collaborate, network and negotiate with local partners, Governments, UN, donors and other NGOs, including proven experience in developing fundraising strategies.
- Experience in supervising/managing, training and coaching others
Desired skills and competencies
You have the ability to motivate and guide staff and thrive on the capacity building side of your job. You are known to be a strong, confident and active leader; who on the one hand is inclusive, approachable and good at delegating, while on the other hand is not afraid to stand alone and take tough decisions.
You have a natural talent for working analytically and find that you excel in tasks concerning development of systems and procedures, ensuring compliance, and interpersonal communication. You have strong problem solving ability. Last, but not least, you thrive by working in complex emergency operations within a changing and at times insecure environment and as a result have a natural ability to work well under pressure reflecting your solid personal stamina.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Head of Programs
- Program staff
- Area Managers
- Regional HoSS
- HQ FRISC Team
- HQ Operational Team
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. This position will be placed at Employment Band – E1 ( Management).
Duration: 1 year
Start Date: 1st July 2023
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on this link:
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact www. drc.ngo/jobsupport
- Applications close on 9th June, 2023.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In the light of this, women are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap*.***
Equal opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employee. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
Female candidates and those from minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo