HI 008: CERTIFICATE COURSE IN INTRODUCTION TO HUMANITARIAN AND RELIEF WORK
This course aims to introduce the underlying principles of the humanitarian sector and the realities of working in emergencies. This course helps to appreciate the background, evolution and nature of humanitarian work. At the end of the course, the learner should have reasonable knowledge of the humanitarian relief system and have an understanding of the roles and relationships of organizations in the Netherlands relief system and management; understand the characteristics of natural disasters and complex emergencies; understand key issues in cultural, political and organizational environment of relief assistance; appreciate the legal and emotional issues impinging on those affected by disasters; assess their personal skills and identify areas of development, recognize teamwork skills required in relief work and practice some essentials of effective teamwork; and apply techniques and approaches that increase individual responsibility in humanitarian work.
The topics to be covered include;
- General context of the complexity and diversity of relief situations; develop an understanding of the Netherlands context of emergency relief work, explaining the distinctions between natural disasters and conflict induced emergencies and provide an introduction to the Netherlands humanitarian system
- Monitoring and evaluation of emergencies, indicators and tools, including good practices
- Disaster risk reduction
- Programme management-log frame, project cycle, principles of programme management in emergencies
- Information management-information and communication technology in disaster risk reduction
- Shelter and settlement-emergency shelter options, sheltering as an approach, displacement and transitional settlement planning
- Supply chain management- Relief logistics, essentials of managing and distributing relief supplies.
- Assessment of the disaster cycle- why, when and standards for assessment, concepts of Disaster management.
- Humanitarian principles, standards and codes of conduct
- Disaster coordination- using the cluster approach
- Water sanitation and hygiene-basic essentials of Hygiene, and the framework of improving hygiene
Course Begins on 1st of every month for 3 months.
Course Level: Certificate Course
Cost: Amount €400 ( Inclusive of 21% VAT)
To register for this course, kindly contact
Zuiderbrink 63, Gravenhage