The Water Trust empowers poor rural communities to provide their children safe water and a healthy, clean environment to develop to their potential. Since 2008, The Water Trust has partnered with more than 600 communities in Masindi and Kiryandongo, benefitting more than 300,000 people. The Water Trust has developed an innovative savings group-based approach to increase the sustainability of rural water and the impact of hygiene and sanitation promotion. Over the next three years, The Water Trust aims to scale up its programs through direct implementation and technical assistance partnerships, while continuing to partner with researchers to find new ways to raise the bar for impact and sustainability. Learn more at watertrust.org.
The Water Trusts seeks a mid-career human resources professional with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. This role will provide human resources support to The Water Trust’s team of 25 staff members across three locations, advise the Senior Management Team, and do a variety of finance and administration tasks for the Kampala office. This position reports to the Country Director with a dotted line to the Finance and Operations Manager for administration tasks and with a dotted line to the The Water Trust’s headquarters human resource function which is performed by the Executive Director.
This is an excellent opportunity for a professional with three to five years’ experience in NGO human resource management, who is keen to learn, highly reliable, and passionate about helping people in poverty gain access to water and sanitation. The ideal candidate will enjoy mastering the details of organizational policies, helping staff understand them, and helping build accountable, enjoyable work cultures by supporting staff and managers. At the same time, given the organization’s small size, the ideal candidate will have a “no task too small” mentality and strong attention to detail in the administrative support components of this position.
Lead human resources (40%)
- Coordinate hiring, volunteer recruitment, onboarding, separation, HR record keeping in BambooHR software, and coordination of organization-wide performance management processes.
- Lead HR-related training, compliance checks, monthly reporting, and provide employee support to ensure strong human resource management and promote staff welfare.
- Lead annual training process on all organizational policies and procedures to ensure employees are trained and proficient in policies that govern their work.
- Support managers with reviewing staff workload assignments, effectively planning and reviewing staff performance, and resolving staff compliance or performance issues
- Effectively respond to staff enquiries and elevate staff issues as needed to the management team for review and response.
- Advise management on HR issues, including job design, workload assessments, staff training development, and staff planning.
- Preparation of the staff payroll and approval of monthly time sheets in collaboration with the finance department.
- Administer and provide advice on salary and related benefits, travel and other entitlements for staff, consultants, and interns.
- Contributes to the development of the human resources strategy and supports cultural change and organisational development initiatives.
Coordinate and support finance and administration (60%)
- Support the Finance and Operations Manager in ensuring all department staff have work plans and monthly reports that ensure departmental policies will be implemented and
- Coordinate Kampala procurement by visiting suppliers and receiving goods.
- Run administrative errands for the organization in Kampala.
- Manage petty cash box in Kampala office.
- Support Senior Management Team with clerical work, including copyediting documents, filing and reviewing expense reports, and keeping meeting minutes for Senior Management Team internal and external meetings.
- Maintain a database of online donations in coordination with the US office and generate electronic gift acknowledgements.
- Coordination of annual returns and filing of documentation with NGO board, URSB, UWASNET and other structures.
- Performs other duties as requested by the supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- University degree relating to human resource management.
- Three to five years of human resources experience working ideally within an NGO.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Experience helping managers to develop, coach and motivate a high performance team.
- Service-oriented, customer focused approach.
- Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work and ability to work within tight deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt, positive attitude towards change, and a constructive and creative approach to problem solving.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Strong basic information technology skills (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, internet research.)
- Willingness to travel up to 30% of time to Kiryandongo, Masindi, and potentially other rural areas.
- Advanced Information Technology knowledge.
- Ability to speak local languages in the project area (Swahili, Runyoro, Luo, Iteso, Lugbara, Lugisu).
How to apply
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Please submit your application online here by December 10, 2020. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Water Trust does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process nor request any information related to bank accounts.