- May 11, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The MHPSS field Consultant will be part of a team who works closely with the Well-U project team and will be trained in specific MHPSS interventions, according to their experience and curriculum.
Migrants are exposed to an increased risk in terms of mental health, due to adverse experiences they may have faced before, during or after their migration process. The situation of refugees displaced by the Ukrainian conflict confirms this trend. However, public health systems are too often ill-equipped, both in terms of capacity and resources, to meet these needs.
Therefore, the Well-U project proposes universal and proven preventive mental health and psychosocial measures that can be implemented by teachers, educators, cultural mediators, health and social workers, staff working in reception centers, refugees themselves, working with Ukrainian migrant minors.
Such an approach involves interventions that are more accessible, less costly and more integrated into the current life circumstances of individuals, while reducing the burden on mental health institutions.
These methodologies include ReachNow and TeamUp to support Ukrainian refugees, as a particularly vulnerable population, in Italy, Greece, Hungary and Romania.
This will form the basis for collecting and sharing the most promising practices, knowledge and training materials through an online community of practice, with the aim of connecting and supporting professionals across Europe dealing with migrants and refugees, especially those displaced by the Ukrainian conflict.
• Provide MHPSS interventions for Ukrainian children, young people and adults affected by difficulties.
• Implement in full autonomy MHPSS techniques which can help people who suffer from common mental health and behavioral problems (depression, anxiety, stress).
• Learn to detect mental health and behavioral problems in a preventative way.
• Refer who might need further and specific mental health support to specialized services.
• Develop ad-hoc training content based on teams’ capacity building needs, in coordination with SOS CV MHPSS Technical Advisors and focal points.
• Deliver trainings for interventions across the second and third levels of the MHPSS pyramid.
• Provide ongoing on-the-job clinical supervision and mentoring to trained staff, utilizing group and individual supervision models.
• Guarantee the quality delivery of MHPSS activities ensuring that interventions are culturally appropriate, matching the needs and performed with regular follow-up.
Availability: short-term, medium-term or long-term assignments are possible, based on programme needs.
Working Location: Italy, Europe.
Knowledge and experience we value the most
• Degree in mental health, social work, counselling or related field.
• Experience in working with (Ukrainian) migrants: children, young people and adults.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within different cultural environments.
• Strong written and communication skills.
• Ability to work within the project team.
• Ability to work in English is mandatory; ability to work in Italian, or other languages is a valued asset.
How to apply
Please send your CV and motivational letter with three references in PDF format at
Sara Sommaruga – Information Officer
with the subject “MHPSS FIELD CONSULTANT” and authorizing the processing of data, as established by Legislative Decree No. 196/2003 on privacy no later than 29 May 2023.
The announcement is addressed to candidates of both sexes in accordance with current legislation.