- August 28, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Organizational Scope & Context:
IOM, as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane
and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to
governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the direct
supervision of the MHD Emergency Team Leader the successful candidate will be responsible
for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assistance for
Crisis-Affected Populations and Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Cairo, Egypt.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity
and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Page 2 / 6
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the coordination of daily nursing activities in the field and Migration Health
Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of Assisted Voluntary
Return/Voluntary Humanitarian Return, the resettlement countries as well as Health
assistance to crisis affected population in the areas of:
a. Medical examinations
c. Laboratory testing;
e. TB management;
f. Treatment and referrals;
g. Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
h. Documentation, certification, and information transmission; and,
i. Other technical areas as may be required.
- Provide health education and counselling to the migrants and/or refugee in relation to:
• Treatments and referrals.
• Pre and/or post counselling on TB or HIV education, prevention, and management as
• The migration health assessment process; and,
• Pre-departure evaluation
- Assist MHD Emergency Team Leader and CMHO, in the development of information, health
Page 3 / 6
- Ensure implementation of a proper identification procedure for all migrants and/or refugees
in relation to health assessment/medical checks process
- Ensure implementation of AVRR/VHR check lists and SOP’s, assist MHD Emergency Team
Leader and CMHO, to monitor standard universal precautions within MHAC or field level
- Participate in quality improvement and quality assurance procedures for nursing activities,
contribute to review and update SOPs.
- Verify the Health Assistance to Crisis affected population affiliated activities pharmacy stock,
analyze the data, and follow up on preparation of medical kits and emergency kits within the
MHAC and for medical escorts followed the guideline if applicable.
- Facilitate administrative reports preparation and program updates as necessary.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of mobile medical missions if applicable.
- Verify the pre-departure documents and assist in the preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care
throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the destination).
- Collect statistical information and share with the MHD Emergency Team Leader and
CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in nursing from an accredited academic institution with three years of
professional experience or Secondary School Education with a minimum of five years of
professional working experience.
• Master’s degree or higher from an accredited academic institution is advantageous.
• A valid license to practice nursing in Egypt and membership of nurse syndicate.
Page 4 / 6
• Minimum of two years of relevant clinical experience with at least two years in a
• Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
• Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass
immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an
• Knowledge of and experience in clinical nursing.
• Knowledge of principles of preventive care and disease control.
• Knowledge of and experience in implementation of patient safety and infection prevention
• Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
• Leadership skills
• Organizational skills
• Communication skills
English and Arabic (Fluent)
Fluency in French
Page 5 / 6
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and
committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to
achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produce and deliver quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication;
explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are expected to submit their applications before August 31, 2023- Cairo
time through the following links.
For External Candidates: External Job Posting- IOM Careers
Note: Late submissions will not be considered.
In addition, please note that only the applications which would have been duly done, and which
would have been submitted and received through IOM website within the announced time
frame would be valid and considered for the announced vacancy.
Kindly note that for efficiency reasons, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.