- January 29, 2024
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The Syria Development Centre is an enterprise founded and run by Syrians, for Syria. As refugees, migrants, and dual nationals in world-leading academic centres and corporations we founded this centre to take an active role in development, as it happens in Syria. Our dedication to the country brought us together to provide our services as Syria transitions along the humanitarian-development-peace nexus. Non-governmental actors, public decision makers, and business leaders, continuously need to be well informed of the reality of the risks facing their interventions, through the stages of planning, design, implementation, and assessment. In one of the most challenging contexts in the world, limited access, quality, and availability of data impedes development initiatives of all scales. We provide our services to change this reality.
About the role:
The Operations Senior Officer holds the responsibility of overseeing SyriaDev Finances and providing support to field offices. This involves supervising and aiding the program team to ensure accurate accounting and documentation of all financial transactions related to the project. The role includes assisting the Operation and Compliance Lead in ensuring adherence to SyriaDev’s accounting procedures and budgets, meeting donor and E reporting requirements and deadlines, and maintaining control and accountability for cash in accordance with SyriaDev’s donor and audit requirements. The Operations Senior Officer is anticipated to contribute to the seamless implementation of projects while upholding the organisation’s protocols and operating procedures.
- Financial operations:
- Oversee finance operations to guarantee sufficient support for field teams and ensure the presence of an adequate structure and capacity in field offices to effectively support programs.
- Collaborate with the operational team to facilitate the tracking and monitoring of procurements and expenditures, manage office purchasing, and oversee the inventory and requisition system.
2. Financial Management:
- Review and authorize transactional data entry in the QB financial system.
- Prepare, scrutinize, and validate monthly financial accounts (Financial report, monthly BVA report, monthly Bank Reconciliation, Petty cash, etc.) for the country office.
- Manage relationships with banks to ensure positive engagement and service delivery.
3. Budgeting and Grant management:
- Collaborate with the Operation and Compliance Lead to ensure SyriaDev grants are executed in accordance with donor regulations.
- Participate in Grant Opening and Closing meetings, as well as regular monthly grant review meetings.
- Monitor SyriaDev grants and provide guidance to the program team to prevent over/under-spending on the project.
- Review budget revisions in close coordination with the Program Director & Finance Manager when necessary.
- Support the Finance Manager in maintaining accurate records of all budgets.
- Assist in realignment exercises as required.
- Monitor program budgets and expenditures in the BVA.
- Conduct a thorough review of budgeting and actual expenditures and develop an analysis tool for enhanced tracking of grant over/under-spending.
4. Donor Reports and Proposals:
- Contribute to the preparation of budget proposals.
- Assist in the timely preparation of donor reports in accordance with donor agreements and contracts.
5. Donor Compliance:
- Ensure the implementation of grants aligns with SyriaDev and pertinent donor regulations.
- Provide training and assistance to program staff regarding donor compliance, budget monitoring, and grants management.
- Possess the capability to visit field sites for documentation checks to ensure compliance with both donor and SyriaDev regulations.
- Support Finance and Program staff in matters related to donor compliance, budget monitoring, and grants management.
6. Policy and Procedures:
- Verify adherence to SyriaDev policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with the management team to facilitate the review and update of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), ensuring alignment with SyriaDev policies, procedures, and accounting standards while maintaining compliance with donor regulations and standards.
- Scrutinize and reconcile monthly payroll records with financial records.
- Assist and coordinate in the timely processing of monthly payroll.
- Oversee the reconciliation of payroll supporting documents to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Conduct monthly reconciliation of accrued payroll accounts.
- Comprehend and adhere to SyriaDev and EU policies and procedures concerning administration, finance, procurement, Code of Conduct, PSEAH, and security management.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to support the team as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This role requires a dynamic individual with a proven ability to deliver results in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, business management, or a similar first-level degree is essential. An advanced university degree in Finance, Accounting, or certification from a professional accounting body is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a finance supervisor/lead position within a non-profit organization.
- Previous experience and a profound understanding of the roles of Supply Chain and HR departments in the NGO sector.
- Exceptional financial and analytical skills.
- Outstanding communication and drafting skills for effective reporting on program financial performance.
- Advanced proficiency in the English language, both in writing and speaking.
- Ability to operate effectively in a cross-cultural environment that demands flexibility.
- Familiarity with the NGO system and a comprehension of donor and Turkish governmental requirements.
- Experience in managing consortium grants will be advantageous.
- Strong computing skills, particularly in word processing and Excel.
- The candidate must be detail-oriented and capable of working independently.
Terms and Conditions:
- SyriaDev staff must adhere to the Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These include Integrity, Service, Accountability, and Equality. In accordance with these values, SyriaDev operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding.
- SyriaDev provides equal opportunities to candidates regardless of their origin, nationality, race, gender, regional, physical, or mental ability, ethnicity, and nationality, validating them to be a better organisation. This vision aims to integrate equal treatment and opportunities among females and men in all HR processes and policies within the organisation.
- SyriaDev is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability, and Equality, SyriaDev strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. SyriaDev expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of SyriaDev Persons in any work setting. All SyriaDev staff, wherever they are located, are accountable for creating an environment free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation.
- SyriaDev Personnel is expected to respect the local culture and SyriaDev policies, procedures, and values at all times. SyriaDev has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse, and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct. SyriaDev is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.
- SyriaDev has the right to check the background of the candidates to ensure their commitment to our values, and policies.
How to apply
Prospective candidates are invited to submit their applications via the link by the end of the day on 02-02-2024, no later than 20:00 according to Istanbul time.
Please note that SyriaDev exclusively considers complete applications submitted through the application form following the provided instructions.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive further communication.