- April 26, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Damascus, with field visits to other field bases
Starting date: 01/06/2022
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 1 Programme Manager, 2 Project Managers, 1 Grants & Reporting Officer
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The CPC is a key position in the mission that follows up on the development, implementation and alignment of the projects with the country strategy. The experience and the role of this resource are essential to follow up on the ongoing projects, to supervise the work of the Programme/Project Managers, to lead the development of concept notes and project proposal, in collaboration with the technical referents (coordinators and advisors).
The Syria Mission is currently operating in Rural Damascus, Hama and Rural Hama, Southern Idleb, with Protection, Health and Education in Emergencies projects. The activities are implemented through a semi-static approach in coordination with SARC and line Ministries.
The main donors are OCHA-SHF, AICS, ECHO, SV.
General purpose of the position
The Country Programme Coordinator will be responsible to support Syria Mission in the development, implementation and monitoring of the country programme in line with INTERSOS Country Strategy, plans and policies, and in strong coordination with the Head of Mission and Deputy Regional Director. Furthermore, the Programme Coordinator will be in charge for supervision of national and international PMs, including supervision of work plans and budget expenditures, and will keep the relations with relevant donors, in coordination with the Head of Mission. When the HoM is on leave, the CPC is acting HoM.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The key responsibilities are:
- Play a key role in the development and definition of the Country Strategy of the mission under the supervision and coordination of the HoM
- Under the functional supervision of the HoM and the technical one of the Deputy Regional Director, lead the development of new concept notes and project proposals (design of the project rationale, logframe, narrative and budget in cooperation with finance department) in collaboration with technical referents
- Supervise, coordinate and provide quality support to INTERSOS Programme/Project Managers in the country
- Ensuring supervision and control on projects work plans, indicators and budgets.
- Ensuring a quality implementation of INTERSOS country programme in coordination with INTERSOS Technical Referents and Deputy Regional Director
- Coordinate and supervise the timely and quality submission of reports to donors
- Coordinate and maintain relations and supervision of activities with the Consortium members
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings
Project implementation, reporting and quality control
- In coordination with the programme manager, supervise, support in the preparation and keep up to date work plans and related financial plans of projects with the contribution of Project Managers and relevant team member, ensuring timely and quality implementation
- Final Responsible for preparation work plans and related financial plans of projects
- Guarantee the application of INTERSOS procedures and donor’s rules for reporting and implementation, in collaboration with the HoM
- With the support of Country Finance Coordinator, supervise the management of budgets in line with donor and INTERSOS guidelines, supporting budget and program revisions when needed
- Provide a support and supervision to the Project Managers through regular field visits, meeting with the staff and the line managers; in coordination with the programme manager prepare and supervise the planning of the activities and programmes
- Supervise the Programme/Project Managers and ensure a regular evaluation through the Internal Review Process (IRP) tools
- In line with the INTERSOS Policies and in collaboration with HR department, support the HoM in recruit, train, supervise and evaluation of the PMs, including identification of capacity building gaps and implementation of related training sessions
- Together with the HoM, ensure that PMs and activity coordinators respect INTERSOS rules and regulations and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics
Strategy Development and Fundraising
- Support the Head of Mission in the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and program, providing updated information, inputs and recommendation for new and on-going interventions in the country
- In cooperation with the HoM, national staff and HQ departments, contribute to the design of a Country Strategy for Syria Mission, in line with INTERSOS Global Strategy
- Lead the design and drafting of potential funding opportunities and the new project proposals in coordination with Technical referents and the Deputy Regional Director
Monitor, Evaluation and Supervision
- Provide guidance and support to Programme and Project Managers on the work planning, budgets, and spending
- Under the supervision of the HoM and with support, monitor the level of progress achieved by each project and ensure targets are met
- Support Programme and Project Managers in planning and monitoring the implementation of activities and achievement of results
- Provide supervision, ensure compilation, follow up and feedback on the monthly Project Appraisal Tool (PAT), both at a technical and financial level
- Ensure high-quality donor reporting standards through the revision of reports prepared by the PMs
- Guarantee regular update of projects IMP sections
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- In coordination with the HoM, establish and maintain collaborative relations with donors, project stakeholders and other organisations working in the project areas
- Together with the HoM and INTERSOS Technical referents, participate in meetings with relevant donor’s program and finance officers at central or field level.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national and subnational level
- Other objectives and duties: upon request of the Head of Mission and based on needs of the mission for the effective implementation and quality of the strategy and programmes
Required profile and experience
Advanced university degree in humanitarian related field (international relation, social studies, IHL, IHRL)
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience at a similar position in humanitarian context.
- Previous experience in Middle East is considered an asset
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context
- Strong knowledge of institutional donors’ procedures
- Very strong skills in computer (excel) and admin/finance procedures
- Proven experience in the management of EU, UN and ECHO funds
- Proven experience in writing proposals
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Arabic is considered an asset
- Proactiveness and strong problem-solving approach
- Flexibility to adapt to a dynamic context and to the volume of work
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- High reactivity to unexpected demands
- Capacity to work under stress and meets the deadlines
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/6239c3d43e9a69001e91f984/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-53-2442-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.