- February 7, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust (MESPT) was established in 2002 by the Government of Kenya and European Union. EU later relinquished their position to the Royal Danish Embassy in Kenya, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (DANIDA) through a Trust Deed of 2013.
The Trust is a development organization with a purpose to grow small holder farmers and Agri SMEs to increase productivity, incomes and enhance competitiveness for job creation especially for youth and women. This is achieved through capacity building which includes skills development, technical support, business advisory, financial and market linkages.
Our focus is to facilitate support and provision of integrated financial and business development services for small holder farmers and Agri SMEs in Kenya. This is aimed at enabling beneficiaries to access finance, increase agricultural productivity, agro-processing, and access markets/ trade opportunities. For over a decade, MESPT has partnered with development agencies, donors, and investors to build the capacity of the business services sector and the agricultural sector in Kenya through a unique tripartite business model that links Farmers, Agri- SMEs, and Financial Institutions – creating linkages along value chains.
We pride ourselves for successfully implementing 12 agriculture-based Programmes that have seen us facilitate creation of 70,000 decent jobs at various levels of the agriculture market systems. We have also cumulatively disbursed KES 6.4 billion to financial institutions and over 250,000 end users have accessed finance. **
ABOUT DANIDA MARKET DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP PROGRAMME
The Danida Market Development Partnership (DMDP) Programme is designed to give an opportunity to enterprises that are keen on delivering towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The programme brings commercial and non-commercial actors together in partnerships to promote sustainable business, development and employment opportunities contributing to SDGs 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth) and 17 (Partnerships for Sustainable Development) among others.
The overall objective of the DMDP programme is to contribute to sustainable economic growth in developing countries within the framework of the SDGs. Through broad partnerships, the facility contributes to the motivation and mobilization of private sector investments. **
The Market Development Partnership Project will contribute to increased and sustainable incomes and decent jobs within the banana subsector in Taita Taveta County with emphasis on women and youth. This will by extension contribute to poverty alleviation.
The project will roll out interventions geared to enhancing the competitiveness of the banana value chain and hence improved market access for the targeted farmers. Production capacities of small holder farmers and service providers will be developed, and vertical and horizontal linkages facilitated thereby sustainably creating value and business efficiencies. There will be emphasis on greening with climate smart and regenerative agricultural practices and Agri circularity solutions promoted amongst smallholder farmers and other key actors and stakeholders.
For further information kindly visit our website www.mespt.org**
As part of its development programme, MESPT is seeking to engage a highly committed, results-oriented, self-driven professional with excellent project management skills to ensure the successful delivery of the programme towards achieving its objectives and targets.
Project Officer (Green Transformation)**Department**
Position Reports to:
DMDP Programme Manager Salary
25 days annual leave, Medical Insurance, 20% Gratuity and 7.5% leave allowance
3 Month probation period, 3 years fixed contract and 1-month notice period
The Project Officer will be responsible for the design and implementation of the greening agenda integral to achieving the objectives of the DMDP Programme in the Banana Value Chain. This position requires a highly committed and results-orientated person with good coordination and communication skills.
- Take the lead in spearheading the roll out of greening initiatives proposed by the DMDP programme and continuously research on new and innovative approaches.
- Organizing stakeholder forums for sensitization of key implementing partners on climate change mitigation and adaptation and natural resources management approaches.
- Carry out surveys to establish natural resources requirement for smallholder farmers.
- Give technical input and build capacities of implementation team(s), partners, and key stakeholders in adopting green growth and Agri – circular solutions as well as responsible business conduct.
- Coordination and implementation of greening projects in the banana value chain.
- Verification of green technology installations carried out by contracted service providers.
- Identification and development of strategies to minimize environmental impacts of installations related to agricultural production.
- Identifying suitable institutions for collaboration in implementation of appropriate clean and climate friendly technologies and possible opportunities for youth and women MSMEs.
- Formulating and implementing workplans and budgets for programme greening activities.
- Make complete and accurate periodic reports on green interventions.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Participate in programme planning & review and programme co-ordination meetings
- Contribute to analytical work, advisory services and knowledge products related to the value chain, including studies and action plans, benchmarks, and indicators to monitor progress, training, and dissemination activities.
- Support development of the green initiatives data base. This will require working with other departments to compile reliable and comparable data.
- Facilitate documentation and sharing of information and lessons learnt with partners and other programme staff.
- Participate in preparation of activity, monthly, quarterly, biannual, and annual programmatic and financial reports and share with key stakeholders as appropriate
- Share information and lessons learnt with partners and other programme staff
Programme Strategy & Team Support
- Contribute to the formulation and review of DMDP programme strategies and implementation models.
- Support project officers in the development of essential local capacity for greening service provision at the grassroot level.
- Support other project officers in undertaking sensitization programmes on climate smart technologies in the county.
- Participate in proposal & concept note writing for projects in line with Natural Resources Management
- Work with other MESPT staff to identify and develop new ideas and strategic opportunities that contribute to the growth of the organization.
Facilitate access to credit for farmers
- Sensitize and disseminate information to farmers on available credit products from the financial service providers
- Coordinate trainings of Farm estates on financial literacy, savings, and credit
Partnerships & Networking
- In liaison with the Programme Manager represent the programme at county and national government levels, donors, partners, and other relevant events
- Coordinate day to day activities with consortium partners, sub grantees, local government, and other implementers, as well as with other MESPT programmes
Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor from time to time
- Head of Programmes
- MEAL Manager
- Programme Officers
- Programme Accountant
- ICT Officers
- Communication Officer
- Partner organizations & County Government Officials.
- Stakeholders including farmer groups, co-operatives, donors, and private companies.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- A minimum of 5 years relevant working experience, with at least 3 years’ experience gained in the field of climate change adaptation and mitigation related activities.
- Previous working experience in donor-funded programmes is desirable.
- An understanding of project cycle management approaches and tools – including participatory capacity assessment and planning, project appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and partners’ capacity building,
- Experience in community-based programming
- Experience in waste management, water utilization and conservation projects
- Experience in networking among development partners and government departments
- Ability and resilience to cope with multiple internal and external demands.
- High level skills and experience in training & capacity building
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Highly organized individual in planning activities and tracking activity implementation.
- Willingness to travel and interact effectively with stakeholders.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Environmental Conservation and Natural Resource Management, Environmental Sciences, Agricultural Engineering, or Related Field
- Certification in Project Management will be an added advantage.
- Excellent computer skills especially with MS Word and Excel and presentation related packages
- Holds self-accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Develops new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Has integrity.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, external partners, and stakeholders.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and MESPT reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters indicating their current/last remuneration, detailed CV with email address, daytime telephone contacts, names, and email contacts of 3 professional referees, 2 must have supervised you at some point, with one being your most recent supervisor to email@example.com quoting Job Reference and Job Title in the subject line.
The candidate must legally be eligible to work full time in Kenya.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Deadline for applications 18th February 2022 at 4.00 pm EAT.
MESPT is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and committed to Gender Equity and Diversity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.