- December 24, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Job Title: Senior Staff Anesthesiologist / Chief of Anesthesia
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
Location: Kigutu, Burundi
Village Health Works (VHW) is a joint American-Burundian NGO based in Kigutu, Bururi Province whose mission is to provide quality, compassionate health care in a dignified environment while treating the root causes of illness, poverty, violence, and neglect in collaboration with those we serve. VHW’s approach integrates clinical services with education, food security, economic development, environmental protection, music and the arts.
Currently VHW operates a comprehensive health clinic with a 60-bed inpatient hospital, which provides prenatal care, family planning, and performs uncomplicated obstetrical deliveries. These services are administered by our staff of generalist physicians under the supervision of our Medical Director and Chief Medical Officer.
Village Health Works has embarked on an ambitious project to build a state of the art 150-Bed Hospital with 4 operating rooms that will be a foundation for educational, training and research programs. The facility will provide comprehensive medical care focusing on establishing surgical and obstetrical services in the region and developing the capacity to provide specialty clinical services not available in Burundi. Projected clinical opening for this facility is the summer of 2022.
Integral to the success of this project is the high-quality functioning of our Anesthesia Department whose services allow us to provide safe obstetrical and surgical services. At the outset we will focus on providing Emergency Obstetrical Care and Essential and Emergency Surgery to adults and children. Therefore, the candidate must have a high degree of skill and comfort with Obstetrical, Emergency and Pediatric Anesthesia.
For more information, please visit www.villagehealthworks.org
As the leader of Village Health Works Anesthesia services, the Chief of Anesthesia (Senior Staff
Anesthesiologist) will be engaged in work spanning clinical, educational, and administrative domains. They will be responsible for enthusiastically serving our community through the delivery of high quality of clinical care, providing training and education focused on excellence and maintaining efficient and cost-effective surgical and anesthesia services.
Liaises with: Chief Medical Officer, Chiefs of Services (Including: Obstetrics and Gynecology,
Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and Surgery), Ancillary Service Chiefs (Including: Pharmacy, Laboratory, Radiology, Biomedical Engineering, Sterilization), Chief Financial Officer, Head of Information Technologies, Head of Procurement.
• 5 years clinical experience in Anesthesia including obstetrics and pediatrics
• Critical Care experience preferred
• Experience with quality assurance and monitoring and evaluation frameworks
• Experience in resource poor settings
• Demonstrated Leadership qualities
• Fluency in English is required and fluency in French is preferred
Duties and Responsibilities
Domain 1 – Clinical Care
- Ensure that all patients in need of anesthesia are evaluated and treated promptly.
- Ensure that clinical plans are effectively and clearly communicated to care team and patient.
- Facilitate engagement with surgeons and clinicians when appropriate and necessary.
- Oversight of pre- and post-operative anesthesia care.
- Engage in continual and ongoing maintenance of skills and certifications.
Domain 2 – Clinical Staff Management
- Coordinate the continual coverage of all patients requiring anesthesia or being considered for anesthesia at all times, which includes the creation of on call systems and schedules.
- Regular review and evaluation of anesthesia staff including written evaluations and feedback sessions.
- Recruit and hire anesthesia staff, as necessary.
- Develop and execute strategic plan for delivering and expanding anesthesia services.
Domain 3 – Documentation
- Ensure daily clinical documentation of care for all patients under department care and review for quality.
- Ensure the documentation of patient consent for anesthesia and all related procedures.
- Work with IT and EMR team to facilitate accurate and timely documentation.
Domain 4 – Quality
- Ensure regular morbidity and mortality review for anesthesia services.
- Monitor indicators of quality for anesthesia services on a regular basis.
- Provide appropriate educational experience for core clinical team.
- Execute a curriculum (created or adapted) covering topics in anesthesia which includes basic science and the evaluation and application of up-to-date guidelines and research for staff and medical students.
- Provide additional skills training to peri-operative ancillary staff including Operating Room and Emergency Room staff and Central Sterilization staff.
- Engage with medical education for rotating medical students and trainees.
- Develop and execute strategic plan to create a post-graduate anesthesia training program based at VHW.
- Work with clinical leadership to achieve strategic goals.
- Engage with Financial team to create annual budget requests for financial resources needed for anesthesia services.
- Engage with finance and procurement for all anesthesia related capital purchases.
- Engage with finance and procurement to ensure consistent and reliable supply of essential consumable items.
- Engage with Sterilization and Environmental Services to provide high quality sterilization and infection control standards.
- Engage with Biomedical Engineering team to ensure functionality of necessary equipment.
- Engage with Development team to aid in fund raising when necessary.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Village Health Works considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.
How to apply
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a CV and a thoughtful cover letter describing your experience and how it applies to this position along with 3 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please include “Senior Staff Anesthesiologist / Chief of Anesthesia” in the subject line of your email. Submissions should be in English.