- May 23, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Desired start date: 01/08/2022
Duration of the mission: 6 months
Location: Juba, South Sudan + regular visit to the field bases
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI has been operating in South Sudan since 2006, and developed activities in emergency and post emergency context, particularly in rural and semi-urban areas.
Today, SI is based in Upper Nile county and Western Bahr El Ghazal county.
Activities take place in several hard-to-reach area, and focus mostly on:
- Access to water
- Wash activities (distribution, sanitation improvement….)
In addition to these established bases, SI deploys an emergency team across the country to face emergency needs of population related to displacement, conflict or natural hazard (flooding…).
In 2022, the mission’s estimated budget is of USD 2,5+ million, and there are approx. 50 employees.
To learn more about the South Sudan mission, please click here.
ABOUT THE JOB
The logistics coordinator steers a mission’s logistical activities in order to ensure that SI in-country programs run smoothly. As such:
- He/she implements SI mission procedures and logistical tools, and ensures that they are properly used and adhered to.
- He/she participates in defining SI’s mission strategy, in drawing up projects and in assessing the resources needed for SI’s activities.
- He/she supports the Country Director in operational security management.
- He/she is the point of reference for the mission and serves as the link between headquarters and the mission for all matters relating to logistics.
- Supply management
- Vehicle fleet management
- Equipment park / telecommunications management
- Computer equipment management and monitoring
- Stock management
- Reporting / capitalization
Management and collaboration
Direct manager: Country Director.
Direct reports: Deputy Logistics Coordinator + Juba supply unit team + coordination technicians.
Functional/operational management: Base Log Managers.
+ Strong / daily coordination with other departments.
- Be the main focal point and coordinate on all logistics issues between SI permanent and temporary bases, Juba and the SI headquarters in Paris.
- Support and improve the logistics structure all over the mission.
- Design the structure of the team
- Design the governance of Si logistic in South Sudan
- Address with his team in a coordinated manner the needs of the base at juba level (procurement planning, cargo consolidation….)
- Involvement in security analysis and follow-up of risk mitigation measures.
- Strong involvement in sizing and budgeting logistic response to program needs for base and coordination.
- Strong component of internal coordination with other department within the mission (program team, finance/HR team).
- Strong component of external coordination with external partners within the country (Log cluster, other cluster through core pipeline, UNHAS, the NGO forum, other NGOs, Inso….).
Specific stakes and challenges
Volatile security context (ex: presence of multiple armed actors in the different parts of the country; criminality)
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Develop a consolidated approach of logistics for the bases (multi project focused on transportation cost optimization)
- Design additional humanitarian response through proposal (logistic approach as core of the program), size and budget logistics needs
- Support installation of new bases
- Insure and optimized and suitable asset management all over the mission to cover our needs.
- The Log Co position in SI Mission in South Sudan is a hands-on position, where the Log Co will be the main technical advisor of the log teams at base and coordination level.
- The Log Co must have a strong appetite for programmatic activities as the mission highly depends on his/her level of understanding of program needs.
- The position requires regular movement to the remote bases and strong capacity of designing HR and operational setup to address logistics challenges linked with South Sudanese context.
A university degree in a related field is recommended.
- 5 years in technical areas of logistics operations (including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing and stock management, fleet management, asset management, communications, and security) within internationally recognized non-governmental organization, commercial company or similar entity
- At least 3 years as logistics manager with INGO or UN agency
- Substantial experience in Humanitarian supply chain management in remote area (minimum 2 years )
- Substantial experience in team management both national staff and expatriates (minimum 2 years)
- Substantial experience in managing transportation aspects of operations, e.g. truck, barges, airplane charters (minimum 1 years)
- Experience in emergency and / or protracted crisis context
- Experience in insecure and complex access environment
- Knowledge of FSL and/or WASH programs
- Proven experience as an organized team and people manager
Experience with SI is an asset.
Experience as logistic coordinator is an asset
Experience in remote management is an asset.
Previous experience in South Sudan is an asset.
- Capacity to provide clear and well documented strategies
- Excellent networking capacities, including with key national and international stakeholders
- Very good analytical, critical, and synthesis skills
- Great communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills
- Management of a multi-technical and multi-ethnic team.
- Capacity-building and training, coaching abilities and experience
- Collect, manage and filter extensive amounts of information in real time
- Organization, planning, focus on objectives and ability to meet deadlines
- Proactive, solution oriented approach to work
- Capacity and willingness to provide hands-on support to the team
- Excellent team player
- Ability to work under high pressure and without constant supervision
- Important flexibility; capacity to adapt to quick context/strategy changes
- Pack MS Office – excellent mastery of Excel included
- Cloud computing, operating system, mailing software
- Basic knowledge in IT network and It connectivity setup (Vsat, radio wave internet…)
- Bilingual in English.
+ Arabic is an asset.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position According to experience, starting from EUR 2 640 gross per month (base salary EUR 2400 + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) + a monthly Per Diem of USD 700.
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
The Log Coordinator will live in a shared guesthouse with other international colleagues.
During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every 3 months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with a USD 850 allowance allocated by SI). In addition to these, SI adds 1 additional rest day per month of work, i.e. 12 additional days off for a one-year contract.
Insurance package Expatriates benefit from an insurance package, which covers all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system, including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- Individual, comfortable room in the guesthouse, with electricity 24/7
- Internet and Phone network available
- Restaurants and international food available in Juba
- Malaria prophylaxis is strongly recommended during the rainy season
NB: During field visits, living conditions are much more basic.
To apply, you need to be OK to work in a fast paced, volatile, complex political and security environment.
Please note that the COVID 19 pandemic can impact the movements (flights and visa issuance).
Safety and security rules are regularly reviewed and adapted to the situation, to minimize the exposure to the COVID 19, in constant monitoring and adaptation to the context evolution. This include social distancing, teleworking and strict hygienic rules, such as regular handwashing etc.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines.
How to apply
Please send us your CV and cover letter in English through the following link : https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=72238
If you have already been technically validated by SI on the position, please mention it.
NB: the vacancy may close before the deadline.
To learn more about SI, please visit our website