- February 14, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Save the Children is currently accepting applications for a Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID-funded Integrated Health Activity in Sierra Leone. The program will be focusing on the improvement of maternal, newborn, and child health as well as family planning in the Western Urban, Western Rural, Kaliahun, and Pujehun regions.
This senior leadership position will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation, and overall quality assurance of the project. This role will also provide technical assistance on family planning and sexual and reproductive health, and will be Save the Children’s primary point of contact with USAID and all relevant stakeholders. This position will collaborate with the Ministry of Health and other critical partners to provide high-level support for effective capacity building at the local level and sustainability of the project interventions. The COP will also oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and Save the Children’s regulations. The project must be designed to align closely with the current objectives of the Government of Sierra Leone so that activities are complementary and create sustainability.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve project objectives;
- Ensure high quality technical leadership and oversight is in place for the program;
- Lead team to provide proper coordination and guidance among local government, country-wide initiatives, community partners, NGOs and other key stakeholders;
- Support the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation;
- Establish compliance with USG regulations, procedures and Save the Children guidelines;
- Represent Save the Children with partners and key stakeholders, maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the country office team;
- Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities;
- Actively participate as a member of the Country Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT), contributing to country strategic plans;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where the project team strives to achieve excellence;
- Incorporate SC’s vision and values and full adherence to Code of Conduct principles;
- Closely monitor security dynamics in the project areas and report to the Country Director on significant changes in the security context.
- Master’s Degree in global health, public health or international development or Medical Degree is ideal; Bachelor’s Degree is required;
- Minimum 7-10 years’ of professional experience designing, managing and implementing large and complex programs in this technical area;
- At least five years of senior program experience working and living in a developing country; ideally within Sierra Leone or West Africa;
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations;
- Creative problem solving skills with the ability to work effectively in resource-constrained environments is important;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Prior experience as Chief of Party or Deputy COP
Why you should join the Save the Children Team
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About Save the Children
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
*Our work for children and their families requires that we commit—at every opportunity—to work together to identify and dismantle persistent systemic and structural racism, inequality, and any other forms of discrimination in this country and beyond. As an anti-racist organization, Save the Children will not tolerate discrimination in any form—in our employment practices, amongst our staff, in our leadership or toward the people we serve. We stand in solidarity with all people to fight for equal rights, justice, inclusion, and belonging.*
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom we are in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children is committed to minimizing safety and security risks for our valued employees, ensuring all are given training, support and information to reduce their risk exposure while maximizing the impact of our programs for children and families. Our shared duty, both agency and individual, is to seek and maintain safe working conditions for all.
How to apply
Qualified applicants should kindly use this link to apply: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/SAV1002STCF/JobBoard/7d92e82b-af74-464d-859b-c5b8cba6e92e/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=9bebdf69-b06e-46fe-9778-b85e051f9c5c