- May 12, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Bodhi Global Analysis is a UK based international development research consultancy firm, with a subsidiary in Nairobi. At Bodhi we are committed to producing high-quality research, through academic rigour and objective analysis. We enable international development stakeholders to develop responsive interventions and effective outcomes through evidence-based strategy recommendations. Our clients range from intergovernmental organisations including the UN, (i)NGOs and non-profit organisations.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Conflict Researcher to join our highly dynamic and growing team. The ideal candidate will be proactive and committed to producing sound, objective research and analysis.
In the role, you will conduct research on some of the most current and complex conflict and peacebuilding issues. You will be involved in undertaking research across a range of other thematic issues in fragile and conflict affected settings (FCAS), such as gender, food security and livelihoods, climate change, and migration, and how they intersect with conflict. You will also lead and support evaluations and reviews of conflict/peacebuilding and other thematic programmes. You will be expected to occasionally travel to FCAS to deliver research activities, working closely with other researchers and national consultants.
You will be based in the UK or Kenya, working remotely. Candidates must have the right to work in the UK or Kenya.
The position is a full-time contract with a 3-month probationary period
Position is ideal for you if you:
- Have an interest in developing experience conducting research on conflict and in FCAS
- Are committed to producing sound, objective research and analysis
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Are proactive and organised – you anticipate problems and tasks, communicate them to the team, and propose solutions
Working with Bodhi, you will:
- Have ample opportunity to build diverse experience across thematic and geographic contexts
- Have the opportunity to develop research ideas, with the flexibility to pursue your own research interests
- Improve your research and organisational skills
- Conduct substantial fieldwork, with the opportunity to improve your foreign language skills, or learn a new one
- Have the flexibility to schedule and manage your work as tailored to your needs
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Leading different stages of conflict-related research and evaluation projects, including design, data collection, analysis, and reporting and dissemination phases.
- Conduct in-depth literature and desk reviews using a variety of secondary sources, in line with Bodhi’s guidelines and quality standards.
- Conduct data cleaning and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data and interpret findings, in line with best practice and Bodhi’s quality standards
- Undertake the design of research instruments, and conduct remote and in-person data collection by participating in, leading, and/or supporting surveys, interviews, and focus group discussions.
- Contribute to the critical review, analysis and publication of reports, articles and data.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as directed by line management.
- Project Development
- Support the development of new projects, including developing concepts and contributing to drafting proposals.
- Qualification and experience
- Masters degree in Development Studies, International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies, or a related discipline
- Thematic interest and experience in conflict, peacebuilding, stabilisation and security, and their intersection with other themes such as climate change, food security, governance, economic development, and youth and gender
- 4-7 years experience conducting relevant research
- Fluency in English, with other languages (especially Arabic and French) highly desirable
- Ability to cope well under pressure, and to occasionally work irregular hours to meet tight deadlines
- Core competencies
- Research skills: Ability to think critically and analytically to distill information for relevance and context, strong report drafting skills and ability to write in a lucid accessible style.
- Proficiency in both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies is desirable, though experience will be provided through the role
- Interest or experience in drafting guides for key informant interviews and focus groups is an advantage.
- Proven knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Understanding and application of statistical analysis software (e.g. SPSS and/or STATA) is an added advantage.
- Key values and principles
- Attention to detail: A commitment to high quality deliverables and reports, meticulous in approach to research and report writing.
- Initiative and flexibility: Competency in independent working, show initiative towards completing goals and objectives, but also have the flexibility to adapt and answer to different demands necessary to fulfil assigned tasks
- Teamwork: Openness to ideas and input from others on team, ability to work collaboratively, have strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Organisation: A systematic approach to work, with the ability to multitask and manage time efficiently, meeting deadlines under pressure
- Integrity: Must have a strong sense of research and professional ethics, be conscientious in approach to work and be committed to Bodhi’s research standards
- Communication: Ability to communicate (verbal and written) confidently in English and to adapt to different audiences and cultural contexts
How to apply
How to Apply:
- Covering letter
- Three references
By email to email@example.com with the subject “Conflict Researcher”.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to remote interview, and asked to conduct some written tests prior to a hiring decision being made. Any questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Bodhi is committed to diversity in its workforce. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religious beliefs, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, socioeconomic background or disability.