- December 20, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Overview of position
- Our clients mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments & other partners to manage projects, infrastructure & procurement in a sustainable & efficient manner. Within these 3 core areas of expertise, our client provides their partners with advisory, implementation & transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools & hospitals to procuring goods & services & training local personnel. They work closely with governments & communities to ensure increased economic, social & environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, their vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian & peace building contexts, always satisfying or surpassing their partner expectations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our client offers its partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
- The ongoing conflict in Yemen has caused significant disruptions to the supply chain & to the overall availability of services. In light of the reduced or even absent provision of public services, communities have adopted various coping strategies, including using alternate water & energy sources, relying on alternate service providers & community based service delivery initiatives to address the shortfall. Physical damage to infrastructure & the lack of functionality in one sector often spills over into other sectors with significant consequences on both the access to & quality of services, which are often interrelated.
Yemen Emergency Lifeline Connectivity Project (YELCP):
The main objective of this project is to provide climate resilient road access & employment & entrepreneurship opportunities to the food insecure rural population of Yemen. The project is funded by the World Bank & implemented through our client. The project activities are expected to complete by the end of November 2024. The project has 4 components:
- Component 1: Rural & village access roads improvement & maintenance, sub component 1.A: Rehabilitation of lifeline rural access roads, sub component 1.B: Employment intensive road maintenance.
- Component 2: Strengthening management capacity of transport sector public institutions.
- Component 3: Project implementation & monitoring support, studies & preparatory activities for future projects.
- Component 4: Contingent emergency response.
We are currently looking for young Yemeni national assistant engineers with a strong sense of professional & social commitment to join YELCP as a Construction Engineering Technician – Assistant on CTG contracts. This is an opportunity for young engineers to get some training & work experience in their chosen field of work so that they will be better prepared to be employed in the future. The appointments are for a period of 6 months. In the implementation of the project, our client is working with a number of other government agencies who are essential partners of the project. The Construction Engineering Technician – Assistant to be employed will work in the partner’s offices, outside of our clients office. The Construction Engineering Technician – Assistant will work with the Senior Engineers attached to the partner offices & contribute to the project management, design, construction supervision, contracts administration & maintenance of public infrastructure. They will support the experienced professionals by assisting them in various design & construction related tasks while developing their practical engineering skills to help them in future career development.
The Construction Engineering Technician – Assistant will work with the Senior Engineers attached to the partner offices & contribute to the project management, design, construction supervision, contracts administration & maintenance of public infrastructure. S / he will be engaged in activities such as (but not limited to) the following:
- Assist the Project Manager & other project staff in the management of projects to ensure timely completion of projects within budget, achieving the quality expectations.
- Assist in carrying out project administration tasks such as in procurement, finance & human resources management.
- Assist in the planning & design of new projects including assist in preparation of project proposals & other documents.
- Assist in preparing design documentation for public infrastructure construction, rehabilitation & maintenance works.
- Assist in reviewing designs prepared by other personnel & assist in providing comments for improvement.
- Assist in preparing design reports, progress reports & other technical reports where necessary under the supervision of senior professionals.
- Where possible, participate in site visits with Senior Engineers to assist in monitoring construction works.
- Assist in contract management including taking site measurements, contract variations, QA / QC inspections, keeping site records & health, safety, social & environmental inspections.
- Assist in project procurement matters such as preparing tender documents, tendering, contract negotiations & awards.
- Assist in the implementation of our client & World Banks environmental & social management systems including maintaining a high level of health & safety standards on construction sites.
- The Construction Engineering Technician – Assistant will work with the Senior Engineers attached to the partner offices.
- Must be a recent graduate from a recognized university in civil engineering or a related field or a high school diploma with an additional 4 years of relevant experience would be accepted or with a bachelor’s degree the candidate will qualify for the position, but otherwise, relevant experience is considered, experience with construction, project management & / or engineering.
- Basic ability to use contemporary computer applications is required.
- Fluency in English & Arabic is required.
- Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms.
- Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of one’s own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our clients impact on their beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts its own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions.
- Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner.
- Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: