- May 24, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of Position
Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of their partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Their mission is to help people build better lives & countries achieve sustainable development. Their areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management & human resources. Our client also offers short & long term work opportunities in diverse & challenging environments across the globe. They are looking for creative, results focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines. With over 4,000 personnel & approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of our client’s partners spread across 80 countries, their workforce represents a wide range of nationalities & cultures. They promote a balanced, diverse workforce, a strength that helps us better understand & address their partners needs & continually strive to improve their gender balance through initiatives & policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates. Our client values its people & recognizes the importance of balancing professional & personal demands. The 2nd phase of the Yemen Emergency Electricity Access Project (YEEAP) seeks to improve access to electricity for households & provide electricity to critical service facilities in rural & peri urban areas within the Republic of Yemen. The project is financed by the World Bank (WB) (grant from IDA) & implemented by our client. To achieve the project’s objectives, our client will engage solar Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs), solar installers & suppliers, technical service providers & other stakeholders. Our client is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce. The project will finance distributed solar solutions to provide urgently needed access to electricity in Yemen. The project consist of three components:
- Component 1: Electricity in rural & peri urban areas (electricity for households, electricity for critical services facilities & support to COVID-19 isolation units & vaccine cold chain).
- Component 2: Implementation support, market development & technical assistance for power sector sustainability.
- Component 3: Contingent Emergency Response Component (CERC).
Coordination, delivery & performance:
- Assist the Renewable Energy Specialist to manage, plan & coordinate monthly, weekly & daily construction activities, including monitoring site safety & construction quality.
- Participate in construction approval & inspection activities, liaising closely with engineering & Quality Assurance (QA) personnel & ensuring Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) measures are implemented within construction activities.
- Support the Renewable Energy Specialist to ensure the overall & timely delivery of the project activities.
- Coordinate with contractors & suppliers in inspecting all materials delivered to the sits, ensuring they meet the specification requirements & take corrective action where the quality of materials delivered does not meet these specification requirements, prepare detailed reports on deliveries made to sites.
- Work with contractors on ensuring HSSE protocols & measures are implemented & standards are met.
- Work with Quality Assurance / Quality Control (QA/QC) Engineers in ensuring site works are delivered to & complying with our clients quality standards.
- Manage & certify contractor payments for approval.
Monitoring & reporting:
- Assist to monitor our clients Quality, Health, Safety & Environmental (QHS & E) management systems.
- Check drawings, specifications & other construction design documents to ensure accuracy & soundness of design.
- Monitor all sub projects activities in relation to the respective project work plans & propose corrective action, when necessary, to ensure the timely & cost effective delivery of project outputs.
- Monitor contractors’ onsite work to ensure delivery is maintained at the required level to meet project quality, time & cost targets.
- Maintain accurate measurement of the completed works for payments, keep appropriate records for all contracts.
- Organize regular site meetings with the field staff & contractors & prepare progress reports.
- Collect & document site information in relation to contractor’s work including information on the contractor’s workforce, labor, weather, progress of work & any other related information.
- Prepare project progress reports & project briefs.
- Prepare & manage project documentation systematically, especially assuring the tidiness of the contractors’ site registers.
- Assist in the hand over & closing of the project & sub projects.
- Hold ownership to our clients asset at the construction sites.
- Work in collaboration with the Field Engineers, Design Engineers for the sub projects quality & progress monitoring & assurance.
- Support on the regular project reports.
- Support the Community Liaison Officers & contractors to mobilize laborers in line with project requirements, manage labor works, keep the record of the number of laborers employed under each specific contract.
- Knowledge building & sharing:
- Contribute to the dissemination & sharing of best practices & lessons learned for development planning & knowledge building.
- Actively interact with other Engineers & the engineering community to share case studies, lessons learned & best practice on the knowledge system.
- Collaborate with technical team members including but not limited to Designers, Engineers, Project Management & Field Engineers.
- This role reports to the Project Manager.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering or a relevant field is required.
- A professional certificate in Civil Engineering or a relevant field & / or a Masters Degree will be an advantage.
- A minimum of 2 years of field work experience in the field of construction & proven experience in the supervision of multiple construction sites is required.
- 5 years experience in Civil engineering is highly desirable.
- Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with government (govt.) authorities & community organizations is an asset.
- Working knowledge of cloud based office software packages (Google Suite), MS Office programs, MS Project, AutoCAD & engineering systems is highly valued.
- Fluency in English & Arabic is required.
- Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply