- March 17, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
According to the Constitution of Nepal 2015 (2072), it is expedient to make legal provisions on the implementation of fundamental rights relating to the right to food, food security and food sovereignty of its citizens. In response to this the “Right to Food and Food and Sovereignty Act, 2075” was promulgated in 2075 (2018). In order to ensure every citizen’s access to food becomes reality, the Law delegates, the government authorities have to develop Bylaws—rules and regulations, which govern the implementation, including the detailed guidance to the responsible Government agencies on their legal obligations under the Act.
In coordination with the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development (MoALD) will be conducting multi-sectoral orientations and consultations at national and sub-national levels to ensure that the Bylaws are consistently understood and owned to ensure effective implementation. WFP will provide technical support to the MoALD and the Province Ministry of Land Management, Agriculture and Cooperative (MoLMAC) to formulate their own legal measures (i.e. Bylaws, procedural guideline, directives, etc) and pilot the implementation of the Act/Bylaws at the local levels. This will include activities like orientation/trainings, workshops and meetings and preparation of guidelines and policy papers bringing in the international best practices and referring to the governments’ prevailing laws/policies in order to guide and facilitate the development of coherent food security and nutrition policies and programmes.
Review relevant legal/policy documents and interact/coordinate with government agencies to get an insight on the policy gaps; bring in the international best practices on the Right to Food (RtF)/zero hunger programmes and draft guidelines and policy papers in close collaboration with RtF Coordinator, Legal Expert and relevant EPI staff.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
JOB TITLE: Consultant, Right to Food and Food Sovereignty Act
TYPE OF CONTRACT: International Consultancy/CST LII/Regular
UNIT/DIVISION: Evidence Policy and Innovations (EPI) Unit
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Kathmandu, Nepal
DURATION: 2 months/effective ASAP until June 2022
Note: This position is for Internationals or non-Nepali nationals.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall management and direction of Head of Unit, EPI and in coordination with the Deputy Head, EPI the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Closely work with RtF Coordinator conducting policy reviews of the existing legal/policy documents, strategies, plans and programmes related to right to food, food security and right to food;
- Identify policy gaps for the implementation of RtF Act/Bylaws from the perspective of international practices, and come up with options to address them through the preparation of guidelines and policy papers to guide governments and development partners at all spheres to develop coherent policies and programmes;
- Draft guidelines and policy papers, that:
- guide and facilitate (means and ways) the governments and development partners to develop coherent policies and programmes in line with the RtF Act/Bylaws;
- recommend process for developing Food Plans in all sectors and level of Government;
- show clear and complementary linkages to the social protection systems, targeting mechanism and other sectoral policies and programmes (nutrition, emergency preparedness, agriculture, health, education, forestry, etc);
- clearly indicate what technical level institutional mechanisms will require to support the highest policy level institutional architecture (as provided by the RtF Act) at all spheres of the government;
- elaborate how evidence-based plans and programmes can be developed coherently complementing to the governments planning process;
- Develop M&E Framework advising on integration of food security, nutrition and agriculture related policy frameworks (Food Systems, ADS, MSNP, National Agriculture Policy, DRRM Act, Land Use Act, etc);
- Draft training manual on RtF Act/Bylaws incorporating international best practices;
- Closely work with RtF Act Coordinator and Legal Expert to develop training resource materials on RtF/Act with session plan
- Guidelines for development of coherent policies, programmes and plans aligned with the Right to Food and Food Sovereignty Act and other components highlighted in point 3 above;
- Policy papers that identify current state of policy coherence, key gaps and opportunities; and align with all aspects mentioned in point 3 above;
- M&E Framework (point 4 above);
- Training manual and resources materials for RtF Act/Bylaws incorporating international best practices
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University (Masters) degree in Agriculture, Food Security or other field relevant. PhD in relevant field is preferred.
Language: Fluency in both written and spoken English language
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- At least 6 years of extensive experience working in a field related to agriculture, food security, or rights-based approaches
- Had taken lead role in agriculture and food security policy, planning and implementation.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills. Excellent command of English language. Knowledge of Nepali language is a strong advantage.
How to apply
The interested candidates are requested to apply online.
*To Apply, you may visit http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
The candidates are requested to Create an account or update your profile and CV in WFP e-Recruitment system before applying.