- August 1, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
IsraAID is a non-governmental and apolitical humanitarian aid agency founded in 2001. Since its inception, IsraAID has worked in emergency and long-term development settings in over 55 countries. IsraAID’s mission is to support and increase the resilience of people affected by humanitarian crises by partnering with local communities around the world to provide urgent aid, assist in their recovery, reduce the risk of future disasters, as well as build their long terms capacity and resilience.
IsraAID is looking for a Country Director to lead the Vanuatu Country Office projects and operations towards sustainability and growth; implementing an integrated and multisectoral long-term strategy with a focus on WASH, Protection (GBV and MHPSS) and Health and Nutrition combining contextually appropriate and innovative solutions sustained by community ownership.
The Country Director will lead the organization’s representation and programming in Vanuatu providing oversight to all IsraAID operations in the country, playing a leading role in planning, designing, implementation, development, and administration of all programs, supervision, and capacity development of staff, and ensuring effective and efficient financial management, donor and legal compliance. The ideal candidate will combine experience in humanitarian aid and management/administration and have a passion for working with Vanuatu’s population.
In March 2015, after Category 5 TC Pam swept through Vanuatu causing mass devastation in its wake, IsraAID’s team established the operation and has been working in both WASH and MHPSS support to the community. Since then, the Country Office has responded to several crises including category 5 TC, Harold, which made landfall in April 2020, twin TC Judy and Kevin in 2023 and the Double Emergency caused by the global COVID 19 pandemic.
IsraAID Vanuatu’s approach is to strengthen the resilience and promote the wellbeing of vulnerable communities in Penama, Melampa, and Sanma.
We partner with government, civil society, and communities to achieve these goals reinforcing social support structures and building the capacities of individuals, communities and institutions to address locally identified priorities. All programs align with the SDG national strategic priorities as laid out in “Vanuatu 2030: People’s Plan”.
Vanuatu Office Vision and Strategy
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of IsraAID’s programming in line with the Country’s strategic plan
- Provide on-going support, monitoring, and evaluation of IsraAID in-country programs, coordinate program reviews, evaluations, and follow up on the implementation of evaluation findings.
- Coordinate the production of timely quality program reports in line with IsraAID’s established policy.
- Identify, reach out and create collaboration with partners in line with the Country Office vision as academies, international platforms,
- Oversee the dissemination of IsraAID’s mission and core values and principles at the national level and lead, coordinate and mentor the Country Office program and its staff according to IsraAid strategy and philosophy.
- Represent the organization at all levels, collaborate with local and national authorities.
- Stay up to date on socio-economic and political changes related to IsraAID mandate and undertake a timely strategic review of the IsraAID program’s strategy to respond to a rapidly changing environment.
Human Resource Management and Staff Development
- Maintain effective and appropriate staff recruitment, orientation, appraisal, remuneration, and development practice at all levels to ensure the optimum utilization and development of IsraAID’s human resources.
- Provide coaching and mentoring advice to staff when necessary and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
- Team and HR process management, as well as HR compliance per country labour law
Funding and Grants Management
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in the country and promote collaboration and funding.
- Spearhead a funding strategy that maximizes and increases the external funding base, staying up to date on donor trends, and ensures adherence to funding and donor requirements.
- Oversee the production of quality proposals and respond to call for proposals.
- Facilitate and coordinate donor visits, donor meetings, discussions, and evaluations as necessary.
- Promote and encourage a culture of compliance throughout IsraAID. Maintains a clear understanding of donor compliance and adheres to those standards.
Financial and Administrative Management
- Ensure that all financial and administrative procedures are by IsraAID’s established policies and maintain the organization’s financial and legal integrity.
- Prepare and implement and review the annual budget.
- Provide progress and financial reports as required by the government and IsraAID HQ and adhere to accountability procedures as appropriate.
- Ensure the preparation, accuracy, and timely submission of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements.
- Conduct inventory spot-checks and promote efficient and effective management of organizational assets.
Security and Risk Management
- Develop, implement and maintain appropriate security plans and contingency plans according to IsraAID Global policies, keeping abreast of all relevant developments in country, and maintain regular communication with national and international security institutions.
- Ensure staff are continuously engaged and aligned with IsraAID’s global vision, mission, values, strategic direction, and Theory of Change.
- Actively contribute to IsraAID’s reputation and role as a national, international, and regional organization.
- Maintain regular communication with the IsraAID Vanuatu Board of Directors, IsraAID-Global, and other IsraAID Country Offices, as appropriate.
- Promote IsraAID’s organizational identity, culture, and capacity to all stakeholders and partners and ensure IsraAID remains relevant to Vanuatu’s changing humanitarian and development needs.
Compliance & Ethics
- Understanding of and commitment to the following principles: cultural sensitivity, local ownership, sustainability, inclusiveness, local partnership, non-discriminatory, do-no-harm, and apolitical approach; codes of conduct against sexual exploitation and abuse; and against child exploitation and modern slavery.
- Alignment with IsraAID’s values: Resilience, Transparency, Flexibility and Adaptability, Collaboration, Professionalism and Humanity.
- Commitment to abide by IsraAID’s codes of conduct and principles.
- Any other tasks as guided by direct manager
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND COMPETENCIES
- A level of academic background in international development, social sciences, or other relevant fields
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of working in senior programmatic management humanitarian or development settings, and/or 3 as a CD
- An excellent understanding of and practical experience with program design, program management cycle, MEAL framework, programmatic cost effectiveness, and quality programming
- Substantial experience in the financial management of significant budgets
- Significant experience with institutional donors, including UN donors, familiarity with international coordination structures
- Proven expertise in leading in country fundraising efforts, seeking and securing new grants, successful project proposal writing, management of grants
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing complex and multinational teams
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Able to consistently meet tight deadlines
Based in Port Vila, Vanuatu, with frequent travel between the islands
Paid full-time position on a two-year contract, extendable
IsraAID has a zero-tolerance policy towards any acts of misconduct and Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. The recruitment process will include all candidates’ declaration and reference checks focused on misconduct and SEA.