- March 21, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) is an international non-governmental organisation (NGO) composed of 192 national human rights organisations from 117 countries. Since 1922, FIDH has been defending all human rights – civil, political, economic, social and cultural – as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
You can find us on our social networks :
One of FIDH priorities is to fight against the impunity of perpetrators of serious human rights violations, including crimes of international law, and support victims’ access to truth, justice and reparation.
FIDH’s headquarters are in Paris (45 employees in Paris and 14 employees in several offices abroad). Stichting FIDH in The Hague is FIDH’s permanent representation to the International Criminal Court (ICC) since 2004.
We are recruiting for the Programme department :
FIDH Representative to the International Criminal Court (M/F) based in The Hague, the Netherlands
Your main responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the International Justice Desk, based in Paris, you will be part of FIDH’s International Justice Desk.
A – Contribution to the International Justice Desk strategy and fundraising :
- Participate in the drafting of the FIDH multi-year strategic plan concerning the International Criminal Court ;
- Contribute to the drafting of specific action plans and programmes, notably concerning the ICC ;
- Contribute to the communication strategy of the International Justice Desk in coordination with the Communication department ;
- Contribute to the identification of potential donors, the drafting and review of project proposals to donors.
B – Implementation of the International Justice Desk’s programmes and activities on the International Criminal Court :
1) Ensure FIDH representation with ICC representatives, States representatives, media, donors and other NGOs working on the ICC. Develop and strengthen partnerships with these stakeholders.
2) Supervise, implement / participate in :
- Advocacy and training activities in The Hague (« interface »), in support of national member, partner NGOs and victims’ organisations, on the ICC (virtual, or in-person depending on the travel restrictions and the health situation) ;
- Drafting of FIDH position papers and implementation of advocacy activities towards the ICC and States Parties ;
- Elaboration, supervision of translation and dissemination of FIDH external publications (i.e. mission reports, position papers, activities reports) ;
- Drafting and/or reviewing of Article 15 Communications to submit to the ICC Office of the Prosecutor, as well as amicus curiae briefs in the context of ongoing ICC proceedings ;
- Coordination and close participation in the work and activities of the Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC) and other NGO fora ;
- Documentation, training, or advocacy missions as well as seminars on the ICC and international justice, outside of The Hague (in-person or virtual depending on the travel restrictions and the health situation).
3) Monitor and evaluate ICC related projects of the International Justice Desk, including budgetary follow-up.
C – Management of the FIDH The Hague Permanent Representation
- Ensure the effective functioning of FIDH’s office in The Hague, including on an administrative and finance level, and the smooth liaison with FIDH headquarters in Paris ;
- Supervise the work of a programme officer on the ICC and interns, based in The Hague, as well as the work of consultants.
D – Reporting and evaluation of the International Justice Desk activities
- Participate in the reporting and evaluation of the International Justice Desk’s activities ;
- Elaborate narrative reports for donors ;
- Participate in the drafting of the FIDH annual report concerning international justice and in particular the ICC.
- At least 6 years of professional experience in a similar position.
- Master’s Degree in Law, with specialisation in international criminal or human rights or humanitarian law.
- Very good advocacy skills, and in particular ability to interact with NGOs, government officials and intergovernmental organisations from around the world with tact, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity.
- Very good knowledge of the International Criminal Court.
- Proven experience in project management, including the monitoring and evaluation of multi-annual programmes.
- Very good drafting skills, with experience drafting advocacy papers, legal documents and
funding requests and reports to donors.
- Ability to work efficiently under time pressure, skilled at prioritising and completing multiple tasks with autonomy.
- Fluency in written and spoken English (level C1/C2) and good knowledge of French is required (level B2/C1). Language skills in Spanish or Arabic would be an asset.
- Experience working on issues related to victims’ rights at the ICC and sexual and gender based violence would be an asset.
- Experience working closely with NGOs and victims’ organisations around the world would
be an asset.
- Ability to travel internationally, as soon as the health situation permits.
You are in total agreement with the values at work in the FIDH International Secretariat (professionalism, respect, commitment, equality, integrity, participation, audacity), as well as with the struggles led by the FIDH for the defence of the human rights of everyone, everywhere in the world, as explained in its statutes and through its publications accessible from its website : www.fidh.org
FIDH seeks diversity and is committed to equality by not discriminating in its hiring practices on the basis of race, religion, age, disability, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, health status or any other situation protected by French and international human rights law.
For people with disabilities, we ask you to indicate in your cover letter any adaptations that would be useful to enable you to participate in the recruitment process in an optimal way.
- Location : He/She will work from FIDH’s office in The Hague, The Netherlands
- Long term contract, governed by Dutch law, with a two months trial period. Full time position.
- Gross salary : between € 47 000 and € 48 000 per year, based on experience.
- Coverage of health insurance up to € 6,000 gross per year.
- 25 days of paid vacation per full year worked.
- 39 hours worked per week. 23 compensation days per full year worked.
Starting date : July 2022 the latest.
How to apply
Do you fit the profile we are looking for ?
Send your CV and a cover letter in english (describing why you are interested in FIDH and summarising your suitability for the position) to email@example.com indicating the reference REP ICC 03 22** in the subject line of the email by 18 April 2022 at the latest, for the attention of Delphine CARLENS, Head of the International Justice Desk.
Interviews will take place as applications are received.
FIDH reserves the right to close the recruitment before the deadline for applications.
Only those candidates whose applications are accepted will be contacted.