- August 4, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs founded in Denmark in 1956. DRC has provided humanitarian assistance to people in need in Myanmar since 2009. DRC is currently engaged in humanitarian response in Rakhine, Kachin, and Northern Shan. In 2012, waves of inter-communal violence swept through Rakhine, forcing approximately 140,000 persons to flee their homes and take refuge in IDP camps spread across the state. DRC activities target these IDPs, as well as other local vulnerable populations such as host villages and isolated villages. DRC implements a multi-sector response, including Camp Management, GBV, Child Protection, General Protection, Economic Recovery, and WASH activities.
DRC Myanmar in Rakhine State is funded by ECHO, SDC, DANIDA, DFAT, USAID, SIDA and UN agencies, including UNHCR, UNICEF, UNOPS and UNFPA.
To strengthen DRC’s Programme in Rakhine State, DRC is looking for a highly motivated and capable candidate to fill the position of
Finance Manager (1 Post)
Duty Station : Sittwe Office, Rakhine State
Reports to : Support Services Manager
Direct report for : Sittwe Finance Team. Technical support to Finance staff in Mrauk Oo and Maungdaw field Based.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of Support Services Manager (SSS) the Finance Manager will ensure that all financial functions within Rakhine state, including moderate planning, analysis, accounting, payments & payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, grant financial management, and day-to-day tasks, and ensure compliance are done effectively and in a timely manner in adherence to DRC’s Internal Controls and support.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- People Management
- Lead and manage the finance team (including people planning, performance mapping, structure review, succession planning, well-being, and development)
- Support the development and implementation of financial management capacity building of staff and.
Financial Accounting, Management and Reporting:
- Establish and maintain internal financial procedures compatible with the country’s law, DRC’s Operations Handbook, and donor requirements.
- Ensure that proper financial procedures are adhered to and maintained at field offices, in coordination with the Area/ Based Managers & Support Services Manager in compliance with DRC rules and regulations.
- Lead over month end accounting cycle in Dynamics including bank & cash reconciliations.
- Maintain timely and accurate accounting records in compliance with DRC policies and procedures for Rakhine state.
- Manage day-to-day accounting functions, including regular cash verification, cash/bank reconciliation, monthly cashbooks closing, advances’ reconciliation, timely submission of accounts to HQ finance desk
- Ensure payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures are made in a timely manner and authorization done as per Area IDRA
- Ensure adherence to donor rules and regulations as regards financial transactions in Aden Area Office
- Ensure all financial documents are filed and archived systematically and safely stored.
- Ensure cash flow of field offices are maintained; Coordinate with program managers to get bi-weekly projections and supervise CTRs and send to CO.
- Ensure a controlled and smooth cash flow management process for the Rakhine Area Office & field offices – promptly advising the Country Finance Manager when replenishment of bank accounts is necessary.
- Work with and support Rakhine Budget Holders in budget preparations, revisions, monitoring and follow ups; also, to prepare expenditure forecasts and ensure that adequate funds are available for program activities.
- Track accounts payables, advances & liquidations, prepayments and cross charging to respective grants and reconciliation of Dynamics records with DRC Cash books on monthly basis.
B) Grant Management
- Focal person for budget development (new + revised proposals) includes defining FO envelope at concept note and proposal stage in line with DRC budget development tool.
- Coordination with grant unit team to define budget template and set criteria and timeline.
- Assist SSM in conducting budget follow ups and monitor grant spending plan; Liaise with Program Managers for regular budget monitoring.
- Focal person for FO donor reporting including internal reporting to CO.
- Assist SSM in reviewing monthly BFUs/ FFU before submitting the final version to CO
- Focal person for developing and updating Master budget. Identify gaps in the Master budget at activity level.
- Support supply chain team in developing and monitoring their budgets.
- Support CO in development and implementation of shared cost allocation tools.
- Ensure compliance with relevant country statutory laws, DRC operational handbook, SoPs developed at CO/ FO level and donor specific guidelines.
- Train support services and program teams over donor compliance rules and monitor compliance.
- Focal person for financial reviews to ensure compliance with DRC standards and practices.
- Coordination with CO over audit findings, develop and execute post audit improvement plan.
- Audit focal person for internal and external audits, conducted in the assigned field offices, this includes coordination with CO and field PMs in gathering the required info for the auditors.
- Developing audit register and track audit findings through program managers’ orientation over common issues.
E) Team Management & Capacity Building
- Works closely with the Support Services Manager to implement, improve, and maintain financial management policies, systems, structures, and procedures within Rakhine Operation
- Provide technical support to the field offices-based finance staff as well as providing leadership to the finance staff in Rakhine Offices
- Proactively identify and act upon deficiencies and areas for improvement for Rakhine Area finance team, providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that finance staff capacity is continuously developing.
- Conduct on job training Budget Holders in Rakhine Offices, guiding them through Budgeting, donor compliance and compliance to DRC handbook.
- Create a sustainable work environment of mutual respect that attracts motivated, skilled, and effective team members and enables them individually and collectively to strive to achieve excellence.
- Rakhine Area office Heavy user for the DRC Dynamics (ERP) System and responsible for training other finance staff in Rakhine, Myanmar on the use of the system.
- Periodically organize or coordinate specific workshops/trainings for program team as well as Operations Support Team on finance matters.
- Develop work plan for finance team within Area and sub offices.
- Review and revise Job descriptions of finance team and perform performance reviews.
- Review current finance structure, recommend, and implement changes in light of country nationalization strategy.
- Build capacity of key team members for effective succession planning.
- Support finance staff in all assigned field offices in maintaining accurate and complete accounting database and filing.
F) DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure proper training and application of DRC Dynamics finance processes in the area/field offices.
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics finance system to improve finance performance.
- Ensure ERP finance functionalities are properly used by concerned staff and team has proper knowledge and access to information to use DRC Dynamics.
- Focal person for area finance teams in relation to Dynamics.
- Assist with any other reasonable task as directed by the Support Services / Area Manage/ CO
G) Technical Support to Sub-Partners
- Work closely with partnership manager and team for assessment, review, and selection.
- Provide technical support on budget development, review, and finalization.
- Review and validation of partners’ financial report
- Provide capacity building on financial aspects, reporting, etc to Sub partners.
As a Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
*Any other duties relating to the nature of the job as requested by the Area Manager
Experience and technical competencies:
- Master’s degree in finance/Accounting or Business Administration or professional certification in accounting.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a senior financial management position i.e., manager or coordinator.
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Proven experience in managing large budgets.
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Competence in providing technical guidance and training.
- Proven experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities.
- Working experience with relevant donors (e.g., UNHCR, ECHO, OFDA, UNFPA, UNOPS, GIZ, MHF)
- Advanced proficiency in Excel as well as experience working in a financial management system.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. “
- Starting date of employment: As Soon As Possible.
- Contract length: Regular DRC staff contract including a probation period of 3 months with possible extension based on performance and project funding.
- Salary: Competitive salary according to DRC Myanmar salary scale.
This position is open for Myanmar National only. DRC strongly advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment. Therefore, qualified candidates of ethnic minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Closing date for applications: 25th August 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.