- August 28, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Department for Mine Action and Disarmament’s (DMAD) vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has 20 DMAD Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians?
NPA is looking for a new Finance Manager for our programme in Bosnia & Herzegovina. The programme is in an important phase, being close to the final stages of completing its mission of removing the landmines threat from the country. The position is responsible for the NPA BiH programme, which includes the BiH Mine Action programme, Arms Management and Destruction Programme and also NPA’s global resources, including the Global Training Centre (GTC) and the Global Hub of special advisors. The programme is in the process of moving its office, and significant monitoring will be required in ensuring financial and cost compliance.
Location: Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- An interesting opportunity to manage the finances of one of NPA’s flagship programmes, working in a stable security environment
- Comprehensive salary package including country specific allowances and insurance scheme.
- Five weeks’ annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats.
Please note that we offer a two-year contract* with the possibility of renewal. The salary and allowances are subject to income tax according to NPA’s Tax Policy. The working conditions, including annual leave, follow the Norwegian Working Environment Act.
- Relevant higher education.
- Minimum 5 years of experience within finance in a humanitarian organization and preferably a mine action organization.
- Minimum 2 years of international experience in a financial management capacity.
- Working knowledge of accounting system(s).
- Good understanding of ICT-systems and experience with MS Office applications, including advanced user level in Excel.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English and preferably a local language (Bosnian, Serbian, or Croatian).
- Experience with capacity development and day-to-day management of staff.
- Proficiency in Agresso is highly preferred.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Culturally sensitive with good communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Good stress management and ability to cope under pressure.
- Strong integrity and work ethics.
What you will do
- Responsible for quality assurance of accounting and financial control as per NPA- and donor policies, rules and regulations and relevant national legislation.
- Responsible for forecasting processes and associated monitoring and reporting.
- Prepare monthly budget against actual reports for dissemination to budget holders on a timely basis for prudent budget follow up.
- Ensure compliance with national tax, labour and other relevant legislation in BiH.
- Review and advise on internal procedures to ensure compliance with local procurement, tendering and construction regulations.
- Line Manager for all finance and accounting staff in the NPA BiH Programme.
- In collaboration with the Logistic Department ensure funds are spent in accordance with the budget.
- Facilitate and coordinate internal and external audits in country and follow up on recommendations.
- Responsible for monthly and annual reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer at NPA Head Office.
- Develop the finance-related skills and capacity of finance and programme staff.
- Liaise closely on technical and compliance issues with the Head Office Financial Controller, BiH Country Director and with the programme’s logistics and administrative officers.
- Undertake financial analyses and provide practical recommendations to the Country Director to improve internal controls and to reduce weaknesses and inefficiencies.
- Strengthen financial planning and oversight including through the development and introduction of relevant new systems and procedure.
*Validity of the offer and contract depends on satisfactory medical certificate, full vaccination, valid travel visa and necessary permits for service and residency in the country of service. The offer and contract also depend on donor funding and might be subject to donor approval.
How to apply
Please apply online by the 13 September 2023.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. When you apply for a job in Norwegian People’s Aid, you will be treated objectively. We focus on diversity and inclusion and strive to minimize any potential biases throughout our recruitment processes. You will hear from us within two weeks after the application deadline.
We kindly ask you to carefully read NPA’s Code of Conduct, Safeguarding Policy, and Anti-Corruption Policy before you submit your application. If you are the selected candidate for this position, you will be asked to complete and sign a Safeguarding self-declaration as well as our Code of Conduct.