- May 18, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
About the role: This is a 24 month, replacement role, with accompanied terms based in Niamey with 30% of the time in programme areas (Tahoua, Diffa, etc.) and a salary of Grade 5 €48,648- €54,053.
You will report to the Country Director and will line manage the Multi country Health and Nutrition Advisor (Derwal Programme), the Livelihoods Coordinator, the Education Coordinator, the Grants and Communication Officer, the MEAL Coordinator, the Equality and Protection Specialist and the Infrastructure Manager.
We would like you to start in June 2023.
Concern has been operating in Niger since 2003, and currently works in the sectors of food security, education, health (including nutrition and WASH), and livelihoods and resilience, with an expanding portfolio of projects in Tahoua, Diffa and Tillaberi regions. Concern is the lead organisation of the CMAM/Health Surge Approach in Niger and at Regional level in the Sahel and is involved in operational research on the treatment of malnutrition. Concern’s programming in Education in Emergencies has been recognised for its quality and innovation, and continues to expand with different donors.
Concern Niger has long-term funding to implement an Integrated Resilience Programme to address the problem of the link between climate change, conflict and extreme poverty/vulnerability in Niger, 5-year funding for “Food Systems for Food Security” programming and is embarking on a new project with the Sahel Regional Fund. Across all programmes, Concern engages closely with key Ministries at the national level, as well as with their respective departments at the regional, departmental and communal level, for greater impact in transforming the lives of the extreme poor.
As a member of Concern Niger’s Senior Management Team, the Programme Director (PD) will manage and guide the development of Concern’s programme activities in Niger in line with the Country Strategic Plan 2022-2026 and Concern Worldwide policies and strategies, ensuring quality, strategic purpose, participation and accountability.
- Lead the development and high-quality implementation of programmes through continuously improving programming methodologies, techniques, programme tools and approaches.
- Oversee the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems in Concern Niger’s programme activities, in line with the Concern Worldwide Programme Quality Guide and strategies.
- Ensure the effective and professional management of donor grants and support fundraising including the development of new high quality proposals.
You will be responsible for:
Programme Development and Implementation
- Ensuring programmes are designed and implemented in line with Concern Worldwide policies using a results-based management approach.
- Identifying new programme interventions and opportunities in accordance with the Country Strategic Plan 22-26, based on thorough contextual analysis and using How Concern Understand Extreme Poverty guidelines.
- Supervise the development and/or revision of sectorial strategies (livelihoods, health and nutrition, education) and of cross-cutting strategies (equality, protection).
- Lead high quality programme development processes through project concept notes, proposals etc., and by ensuring adherence to Concern Worldwide PQ guide.
- Ensuring programmes meet Core Humanitarian Standards of accountability and quality
- Ensuring that Concern Niger retains and develops its capacity to respond to emergencies within its programme areas and other parts of the country as necessary, in line with the revised PEER ( Preparing for Effective Emergency Response) plan.
- Frequently visiting programme areas and providing feedback to managers and staff
- Developing effective linkages with Government, donors, strategic networks and partners,
- Assisting Grants and Communication Officer, Advisor, Coordinators, Manager to produce reports in line with donor, government and Concern Requirements
- Line manage staff (Advisors, Coordinators, Officers), contributing to their capacity building and career development, by providing relevant feedback and evaluations. Support career development initiatives of staff in programmes (especially national staff) to develop their skills and widen their international perspectives.
- Provide technical support and on-going on-the-job training and coaching to staff, including in particular a thorough induction at the start of their contract.
- Ensure that all positions have accurate job descriptions and that each member of the team fully understands outcomes which are expected of them, by setting SMART objectives, and that they are aware of the success criteria relating to their work.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of and comply with Concern’s policies and procedures.
- Work with the Country Director and the Desk Officer to develop and implement a funding strategy.
- Work with the Country Finance Controller and the programme budget-holders to ensure close monitoring and appropriate management of relevant budgets & expenditure.
- Ensure that annual programme budgets (and budget revisions) are complete, realistic and comply with relevant Concern and donor requirements.
- Ensure that project proposal budgets are complete, realistic and comply with relevant Concern and donor requirements.
- Reporting any suspected or actual financial irregularities to the Country Director
Networking and Representation
- Representing Concern at relevant technical inter-agency, UN, Government and coordination meetings when requested by the Country Director
- Engage with and support national level networks relevant to increasing Concern’s learning.
- Lead the development and revision of a partnership strategy and advocacy strategy for Concern Niger, in line with CSP priorities.
- Serve as the national level focal point for contact with National Partners.
- Produce monthly, quarterly and annual programme progress reports timely and to a high standard. Participate and provide input to the SMT and CMT reporting.
- Reviews are documented and evaluations reports are in line with the organisation’s and donors’ requirements.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Appraisal and Learning:
- Ensuring Monitoring & Evaluation plans and mechanisms are developed and rolled out
- Ensuring Programme Managers coordinate the monitoring and evaluation of all programmes (including partner programmes) within the agreed plans, budgets, time frames and donor guidelines
- Leading learning processes inside the organisation and developing capitalisation and learning plans in collaboration with key Programme staff.
- Monitoring and reporting on security issues to the Security Focal Person when necessary
- Ensuring programme staff awareness and adherence to Country Security Management Plan and identifying security training needs where appropriate
- Take active measures to address equality issues, particularly relating to gender, in programme as well as in operational (e.g. HR, logistics, etc.) activities.
- Ensure the highest standards of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the programme and enabling staff, beneficiary and other stakeholders’ participation at all stages of the project cycle.
- Be aware of, understand, comply with and be a model of Concern’s HR policies like Concern’s Code of Conduct and Associated Policies.
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director (the line manager for this role).
Your skills and experience will include:
- 3rd level qualification in relevant field humanitarian assistance, development, social sciences or other related professional fields
- Fluent French and English (written and spoken)
- At least 5 years overseas experience with an NGO with an emphasis on programming. At least 2 of these years should be in managing a complex and insecure emergency context.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to the promotion of equality.
- Knowledge and experience of Disaster Risk Reduction Strategies and emergency preparedness.
- Previous experience of managing a diverse team of senior staff including international staff. Proven strong management ability, including the ability to lead and motivate others; Strong training and mentoring skills.
- Experience of mainstreaming accountability, protection and DRR; ensuring accountability to beneficiaries, staff, partners and other stakeholders; monitoring & evaluation processes, ensuring programme quality.
- Knowledge of rights based approaches, equality issues and advocacy skills.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills. Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Willingness to travel frequently to rural field locations and spend periods of time away from the capital in which the PD position is based and experience fairly basic conditions.
We would also like:
- Masters in Development or a related field
- Work experience in Niger or any Francophone or Sahelian country in Africa.
- Previous experience with Concern and Knowledge of Concern Policies and Programming Approaches.
- Experience working in the education, sustainable livelihood, health and emergency sectors.
- Experience in advocacy and/or influencing change at national level
- Experience of working in an insecure environment
How to apply
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.netby closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.
Concern Worldwide is an Irish-based non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.