- November 12, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The Business Development Initiative (BDI) is a services business providing accounting and administrative support to organisations working in Sierra Leone.
Welbodi Partnership is a UK-registered charity working to reduce maternal and child mortality and morbidity in Sierra Leone. Since 2008, Welbodi Partnership has worked in partnership with hospital management, health facility staff, and the Ministry of Health and Sanitation to improve maternal and child health outcomes in the Western Area of Sierra Leone. We do this through a range of health system strengthening activities, staff training, hospital improvement projects, and community engagement.
Our vision is that all women and children in Sierra Leone will have access to effective essential healthcare services characterised by respect and dignity for all, including patients, communities and staff. Our mission is to build the capacity of the health system in Sierra Leone to reduce the number of women and children who are sick, suffer, or die unnecessarily.
For further information about our work, please see: www.welbodipartnership.org
BDI is looking to recruit a Finance Manager to provide direct support to the Welbodi Partnership. The Finance Manager will report to Welbodi’s Programmes Director on financial management and will be responsible for accounts management for Welbodi Partnership. They will be based in Freetown and will be supported by a Finance Officer. They will also be responsible for capacity building of junior staff in financial management and accounting.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
Reporting to, and supported by, the Welbodi Programmes Director, the Finance Manager will be responsible for the finances of the organisation.
Specific responsibilities are listed below but the role may include other duties necessary for the success of the financial management by Welbodi Partnership.
CASH AND BANK TRANSACTIONS
- Act as the main liaison between the organisation and the bank in Sierra Leone and responsible for the cash flow between the bank and the office cashflow.
- Responsible for supporting WP staff in the preparation of request payments.
- Under the guidance of the Strategy and Grants Manager, responsible for the processing of all cash requests and payments, including writing cheques following the WP Finance Policy
- Weekly and monthly cash closure.
- Responsible forthe monthly preparation of cash/bank reconciliations.
- Prepare the monthly organisation management accounts.
- Ensuring the proper use of the chart of the accounts of programmes and organisational costs.
- Responsible for Registration of bank expenses (bankbook) ensuring balance between bank statements and bankbook. S/he should be able to find and resolve the possible differences between balances.
- Working with the Strategy and Grants Manager on financial projections to plan for transfers between the UK and SL bank accounts.
- Responsible for ensuring the supporting expenses documents submitted by WP staff or providersare valid for donor requirement.
- S/he should ensure accurate and timely internal control procedures are in place, especially for expenses validation documents. S/he should be able to accept or refute any expenses validation to any staff in case the procedures are not correct.
- Lead in transferring transactions from the main accounting system to individual project trackers, with support from the Strategy and Grants Manager.
- Responsible for managing the designated Finance Officers, ensuring they have appropriate objectives, appraisals, support and training, and with the Human Resources lead, dealing with grievances and disciplinary issues where necessary.
- Responsible for the capacity building of the designated Finance Officers.
- To support the Strategy and Grants and Programmes Managers in preparing monthly financial reports, quarterly financial reports for Board of Director Meetings and financial reports of grants following the donors and WPstandard reporting procedures.
- Preparation of documentation for internal and project Audits.
- Responsible for filing the documentation for projects / donors in an organised and accurate fashion.
- To adhere and enforce the financial safeguards and financial policies; ensurequality, transparency and efficiency in all aspects of the Finance department.
- To ensure compliance with all local laws and regulations.
- Preparation of the monthly payroll, stipends and any payslips related to payments to national / international staff. 1
- Preparation of the monthly withholding tax sheets according the monthly payments per donors.
- Responsible for preparing and paying NASSIT / PAYE taxes on a monthly basis for national staff.
- Support the Operations Manager with processing and tracking of visas, permits, and licenses for international staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from a recognised University.
- Diploma, degree or equivalent in accountancy
- Excellent accountancy software skills, including Excel and accounting software
- Experience working in a low-income setting
- Experience working in an NGO
- Experience working with multiple currencies
- Experience in donor reporting
- Knowledge of financial procedures at an organisational level.
- Knowledge of procurement and tendering procedures.
- Demonstrated management and organisational skills, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft programmes, especially Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to self-motivate, prioritise, multitask and work autonomously within the scope of the role.
- Ability to identify issues or challenges and identify solutions.
- Ability to learn and apply new skills and techniques on the job.
- Ability to work effectively with others, as a leader, in a cross-cultural environment.
- Motivated and hardworking.
- Strong ability to manage time well and work to multiple and strict deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to relate to others.
- Reliable and conscientious approach to duties.
- Absolute commitment to teaching and learning and skills improvement of others.
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Willingness to accept basic living and working conditions.
- Commitment to the goals and principles of Welbodi Partnership.
- Master’s degree in related field from a recognised University.
- Experience working with Quickbooks accounting software
- Knowledge of the financial regulations of Sierra Leone.
- A keen grasp of the role played by an organisation like Welbodi Partnership in the context of global health and development.
- Fluency in Krio and/or other local languages desirable.
GENERAL POLICIES PROCEDURES AND PRACTICES
In addition to the key job responsibilities detailed in this job description all employees and volunteers at Welbodi Partnership are expected to comply with the general duties outlined below and detailed in full in our policies.
Welbodi Partnership is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All staff and volunteers are therefore expected to behave in such a way that supports this commitment. Applicants for this position should be aware that if successful, they will be requested to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, or equivalent in countries other than the UK. The Welbodi Partnership complies fully with the DBS Code of Practice.
Welbodi Partnership complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
Welbodi Partnership is committed to a comprehensive policy of Equal Opportunities in volunteering and employment in which individuals are selected and treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities and are given equal opportunities within the organisation. It is the Welbodi Partnership’s policy as an employer to treat all people equally irrespective of race, ethnic origin, nationality, sex, marital or parental status, gender, sexual orientation, creed, disability, age or political belief.
Welbodi Partnership operates in tertiary and primary healthcare facilities in one of the world’s poorest countries. Consequently, working conditions can be challenging, including many things we take for granted in other working environments, such as running water, power, communications, staff competency and regular supplies of essential medicines and equipment – many of these things are not a given in the environments where we work. Whilst every reasonable effort is made to ensure a safe working environment, this is a challenging context, much of which is out of our control. Welbodi Partnership places a strong emphasis on staff health and well-being and strives to ensure staff comfort at all times.
This job description should be viewed as a guide to the duties required and is not definitive or restrictive in any way. The duties of the post may be varied from time to time in response to changing circumstances.
Based on job competency alignment to internal pay scales. The full remuneration package will be discussed with shortlisted candidates.
How to apply
The closing date for applications is the 25th November 2021– we encourage potential applicants to submit as soon as possible.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter, CV and contact details of 3 referees in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following subject title: Application – Finance Manager.
Please include the following in your cover letter (2 pages maximum):
a. Reasons for applying to this position
b. Overview of key experience related to this post
c. Your country of residence and nationality
d. Date you are able to commence and duration of availability.
Please note: CVs should be no more than 4 pages long. Please do not send any additional documentation at this stage. For any queries relating to the position, please email email@example.com.