Job description – Finance Officer
Type of Appointment: Part-time (80%) employment contract (30 months, project-funded)
Place of assignment: ICMC Europe, Brussels, Belgium
Job Title: Finance Officer
Closing date for applications: December 04, 2020
Start date: As soon as possible – no later than January 15, 2021
Duration: 30 months, with possibilities of extension.
COVID-19: The ICMC Europe office is currently at minimal office presence, in order to ensure social distancing and hygienic standards for all staff members. As of December, policies will be re-assessed – maintaining possibilities for working remotely and physical office presence.
The International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC) is an international non-governmental organization whose mission is to protect and serve uprooted people, including refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced people, victims of human trafficking, and migrants – regardless of faith, race, ethnicity or nationality. In collaboration with governmental and non-governmental partners, and through a worldwide network of members, ICMC implements and advocates for right-based policies and sustainable solutions to address global migration challenges. ICMC’s operations are aimed to respond to the needs of vulnerable individuals and communities, and focus on protection, humanitarian assistance, resettlement, and migration and development. ICMC headquarters are in Geneva with a liaison office in Brussels.
In 2020 and early 2021, ICMC Europe is beginning four new projects, focused on refugee and migrant integration and inclusion in rural areas and on private sponsorship. All of the projects will be implemented in the framework of the SHARE Network, an EU-wide initiative led by ICMC Europe since 2012. The projects are implemented in collaboration with civil society and institutional partners across the EU, with a particular focus on France for refugee and migrant integration and inclusion in rural areas, and also include a substantial programme of advocacy, communications and knowledge development events and activities at EU level (taking place in Brussels or virtually).
ICMC EUROPE is looking for a dedicated and experienced Finance Officer to be part of a small and dynamic oversight team, comprised of ICMC Europe’s Director, an external Accounting Consultant (providing financial oversight) and ICMC’s Grants Manager, to ensure ICMC office budgeting, regular bookkeeping, human resources, monthly updates of ICMC financial activities, all partner financial reporting, and financial compliance with Belgian law.
Specific activities include:
1. OFFICE & PROJECT FINANCE MANAGEMENT (60%): ensure the sound financial management of the organisation in line with Belgian legal requirements, specifically:
- Responsible for the daily financial management of ICMC Europe office, including: payments and expenditures, reimbursements, invoices, suppliers, financial statements and cash flow;
- Monthly accounting software entries and reconciliations;
- Planning and monitoring of ICMC’s project financial activities, including: payments and expenditures, reimbursements, and partner payments;
- Financial reporting on ICMC Europe projects and office costs, including monthly production of financial progress reports for ICMC Europe’s Director, Grants Manager, and ICMC Headquarters’ Finance Department;
- Coordination with the Grants Manager on interim and final project financial reporting to European Commission (EC) and other donors on project financial activities;
- Lead financial accountability processes and development of financial policies in compliance to Belgian laws to ensure compliance with finance procedures by staff, members, and governing bodies;
2. HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATION (20%): support the Director in the administration of the organisation’s human resources in order to make sound decisions in line with the Belgian legal requirements, specifically to:
- Salary Administration and liaison with the Social Secretariat, Monitoring Holidays and Sick Leave, General HR Management (Contracts, Règlement de Travail, …), in coordination with Grants Manager
- Develop and implement HR policies, as well as keeping up to date information on social legislation, internal rules and work regulations in compliance with Belgian Authorities;
- Manage the payroll in close contact with social secretariat (delivery of official documents and answers to requests), including the management of extra-legal benefit and insurances, and when appropriate ensure dissemination and follow-up of administrative documents to staff and the handling of staff requests;
- Prepare and update employment and internship contracts, in coordination with Grants Manager
- Work with external Human Resources consultant in the development and implementation of Human Resources policies
We are looking for an experienced Finance Officer, with the following specific qualifications:
- Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in one of the following or related areas – accountancy, finance, and administration
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in finance and accounts management of international projects
- Proficiency with accounting software systems (ideally Navision Accounting Software) and experience in single-entry accounting
- Financial management in a previous or present role: finance management cycle and experience with EU financed programmes.
- Analytical skills to work with multiple donors and projects require
- Experience in budgeting is a strong asset
- Payroll management capabilities
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Good team player and ability to work in a small yet diverse work environment, with colleagues and partners from around the world.
- Have permission to work in Belgium (
ICMC Europe is not in a position to obtain a work permit for applicants).
Languages: Proficient English and French language skills required
In addition, we hope that our future colleague can demonstrate the ability to:
Work independently and positively within a small finance/grant management team to ensure effective, efficient and timely delivery of work priorities and commitments;
Develop and roll out improved processes for finance and administration, alongside the Grants Manager;
Have strategic financial thinking and strong attention to detail in order to uphold a culture of accountability and fiscal controls across the organisation;
Think ahead to identify and manage risks associated with finance and administration; and
Work well under pressure, is resilient, and can manage changing demands and priorities when required by internal/external events or strategic opportunities.
- 80% of a full-time position
- 30-month contract
- Salary offered in line with salary scale of other international NGO’s in Belgium
- A challenging position, with the possibility of limited international travel
- A dynamic, international, and compassionate work environment, warmly welcoming creative initiative and ideas
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a detailed CV (maximum 2 pages) and a cover letter via email, to email@example.com.
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis. Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted. Selected candidates will have to undertake an additional selection test and undergo a personal interview.
ICMC Europe is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity.
Kindly include the job title and the applicant’s full name in the email subject line.
The closing date for receipt of applications is end of business on Friday, December 4th, 2020.