- January 7, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
About United Nations University
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals’ full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
About Office of Communications
The UNU Office of Communications is currently leading a project to collaboratively redevelop UNU’s brand and online presence. Underpinned by a recent rebranding exercise, the UNU Web Platform Development Project aims to combine all UNU institutes’ primary websites (30+) together onto the same platform, redevelop shared databases, and create a cohesive UNU web experience.
Terms of Reference
Working under the general supervision of the Head of Communications and the direct supervision of the Visual Communications Associate, the Visual Communications Assistant will enhance the visibility and profile of UNU by contributing to the creation of impactful communications products.
In 2022, UNU will undergo an organisational rebranding; the Visual Communications Assistant will play an important role in the creation of products that align with the new visual identity guidelines. The Visual Communications Assistant will:
- Design templates and ready-to-use products for UNU staff, such as report covers, PowerPoint templates, infographics, and social media examples
- Contribute to the evolution of UNU’s visual identity and brand guidelines; develop visual assets for new guideline areas
- Ensure consistent visual branding across UNU communications products; develop prototypes and example designs to inspire and inform users of the visual identity system
- Evolve skills and expertise in areas of interest (motion graphics, experimental typography, etc)
- Conduct other design-related duties as assigned
- Inclusion — take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and collaborate — build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and plan — seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver results with positive impact — hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and develop — pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and innovate — demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
- A bachelor’s degree or vocational degree in graphic design or visual arts; fresh graduates are encouraged to apply
- A portfolio with print design and digital design examples is required (student and conceptual work is acceptable); demonstrated fluency in basic areas of visual design, with excellent skills in typography, layout and grids, colour theory, and information design
- Proven experience in producing graphics for print and/or digital communications; motion graphics and video experience helpful
- Expert proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite; some experience with Microsoft Office.
- Exceptional attention to detail and very organized; effective problem-solver and self-learner
- A friendly, motivated, and positive personality is required
- Japanese native speaker with conversational English ability is desired
Duration of contract
The successful candidate will be retained under a Consultant Contract (CTC) for the above-mentioned project for 24 months. Consultants engaged by UNU may not provide services for more than twenty-four (24) months in a thirty-six (36) month period.
Proposed payment schedule
Monthly lump sum payment in the range of JPY 250,000 – 280,000 will be made on a monthly basis, inclusive of all fees, upon submission of monhtly (time sheet) and monthly progress report against the quarterly work plan. There are no other benefits.
Should “mission travel” be required, UNU will pay for travel. However, this will be subject to the following prerequisites: Medical Clearance, Security Clearance through the Travel Request Information Process (TRIP) system, completion of the BSAFE online course, travel Visa, and liability waiver. Trip prerequisites will be met at the expense of the consultant.
Travel cost will be calculated based on economy class travel, regardless of the length of travel. Costs for accommodation, meals and incidentals must not exceed applicable daily subsistence allowance (DSA) rates, as promulgated by the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC at http://icsc.un.org).
Expected start date: 1 February 2022
How to apply
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Apply at https://careers.unu.edu/o/visual-communications-assistant-consultant;
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.