- October 18, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Location: Mogadishu with frequent travel to program locations
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Date of Issue: 18th October, 2023
Application Deadline: 1ST November, 2023
Job Title: Head of Programmes
Position reports to: Country Director
About STS International Solidarity
STS International Solidarity is a non-governmental organization committed to providing lifesaving relief in emergencies and development assistance to the most vulnerable people affected by conflict, disaster, and the impacts of climate change. We prioritize sustainable livelihoods and food security for individuals and communities, striving to enhance these crucial aspects of sustainable development.
STS collaborates with diverse communities, including women, children, internally displaced persons (IDPs), refugees, and returnees. We work towards building resilience that protects their rights and well-being through various programs and initiatives. With over 15 years of experience, STS has a strong presence in hard-to-reach areas and is currently operational in south-central Somalia, including Jubland, Southwest, Hirshabelle, and Galmudug states.
STS International Solidarity is an active participant in various coordination clusters and sub-clusters throughout Somalia, including the Food Security and Livelihood Cluster, WASH Cluster, Protection Cluster, Child Protection Sub-Cluster, Shelter, and Education Cluster. In our operations, we maintain a commitment to the principles of the ‘do no harm’ approach, as well as the Somalia Code of Conduct.
Our Code of Conduct serves as the foundation for our humanitarian and development work, ensuring that we operate with integrity, transparency, and accountability. We prioritize the needs of vulnerable communities, and strive to provide aid based on need alone, without discrimination or favoritism.
To lead, develop and manage the program team to achieve the aspirations of STS International Solidarity through Programme Development, effective coordination, consolidation, technical support and guidance by ensuring a cohesive team spirit and motivation to perform. He/she manages and ensures resource mobilization, prioritization and allocation, work plan coherence to deliver the STS Somalia Country Strategy. This role is responsible for working with STS International Solidarity Partners and Allies to foster long-term relationship to successfully deliver STS program strategy
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Lead on grant management for humanitarian and development of programme ideas into quality grant proposals through a community based, participatory approach.
- Introduce innovations to STS International Solidarity programmes, particularly with Market systems , Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation approach
- Improve and scale up development programming with innovative approach
- Defines the common approach and standards in STS International Solidarity Programme and monitors their coherent application across Programmes
- Provide leadership and direction and responsible for timely and effective implementation of activities as well as use of budget and other resources enabling synergies in the Programme
- Support the Country Director, in developing and managing relationship within country donors.
- Collaborate with the STS Business Development Units to respond to potential funding opportunities in the country.
- Manage the expenditure and disbursement of resources allocated to program department
- Ensure close monitoring of the program works in the field to ensure alignment and contribution to country strategy, monitor flow of information and systemic documentation of quantitative and qualitative achievements in the field and lessons learned thereof.
- Ensure quality and timely submission of quarterly and annual or required Programme and Project Performance Reports as per desired standards and guidelines.
- Ensure compliance of approved Programme and Project plans.
- Promote evidence-based learning and the agenda of advancing alternatives
- Represent the organization / Unit in various programme-related knowledge sharing and learning forums, document and share feedback with the team
- Track trends in contemporary development programming and programme management practices, document and provide advice/ recommendations on key developments to team.
- Promote the localization approach and partnership, especially with Consortium forming.
- Develop, monitor, review and update the Programme department activity, work plan to ensure that it attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Review and approve programme concepts, partner financial requests as per organizational process and procedures.
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Business Administration and any other related field
- Proven experience in project management in South Central Somalia
- Proven experience in team management
- 5-8 years of experience for managing projects in South Central Somalia
- Strong communication skills in culturally diverse environment
- Extensive and proven ability to understand and manage budgets.
- Fluency in verbal and written English; Good communication and facilitation skills
- Excellent budgeting and management reporting skills and experience
- Excellent and proven fundraising, development and resource management including donor management and representation.
- Experience in developing innovative programming with components of climate change adaptation and mitigation approach. Other cross-cutting, quality components are an asset
- Experience with developing and managing development programmes
- Experience in leading and managing Resilience , WASH, Nutrition, Livelihoods and other humanitarian and recovery programmes in South Central Somalia
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
Work Environment and Time Commitment
- The standard work schedule is 40 hours per week.
- Work conditions may include everyday security risks, discomforts, and exposure to adverse weather conditions.
Essential Skills Required
- Leadership and management
- Strategic thinking
- Excellent presentation, communications, and negotiation
- Networking, influencing and interpersonal
- Crisis management and conflict resolution
- Planning, organization, time management, and coordination
Equal Employment Opportunity
STS International Solidarity is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and does not tolerate discrimination. We actively seek individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to strengthen our global impact.
We provide a respectful and psychologically safe environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all, regardless of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status, or any other protected group.
How to apply
If you possess the required skills, experience, and a passion for positively impacting vulnerable communities affected by conflict, disaster, and climate change, we encourage you to apply. Please submit the following:
- Updated CV
- Cover letter outlining your relevant experience, the position you are applying for, and how you can contribute to our mission
- Relevant certificates
Kindly email your application to email@example.com with the subject line “Head Of Programmes.”
Application Deadline: 1st November, 2023
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection processes.