- May 23, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the role
The Head of Support Services is responsible for the effective and efficient functioning of the support services overing Finance, Human Resources & Administration, IT and Supply Chain.
The Head of Support Services is expected to have senior level management experience and a demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and leading organizational transformations at country level, be able to conceptualize and articulate DRC’s vision, and have the strong oral and written communication skill required to translate vision into action. You will play a leading role in developing and implementing country-specific strategies as well as improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of DRC’s mission in light of the organizational upscale.
You will be a member of the Senior Management Team, with overall responsibility of program support. You will also play a significant part in qualifying and implementing initiatives coming from the global and regional DRC organizational development and financial accountability initiatives. Furthermore, you will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Area Managers, Head of programme, Head of Operations, Sector Managers and Project Managers concerning all issues related to finance, administration, human resources and supply chain and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the support managers (recruiting, performance, well-being and development)
- Manage, deliver and report on current operations programme support in geographic scope
- Establish high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Programme operates in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the operational support units for the country by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under his/her supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support areas
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport systems
- Actively contribute to the risk management plan and mitigations for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure ERP functionality is properly rolled out and used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
- Supports the managers to coordinate the daily activities of each team to ensure workload is supported and prioritized appropriately
- Does not have direct line management responsibility for teams, but will contribute to recruitment and/or performance appraisal of members of the team
- Develops a capacity building and mentoring style of operations within the teams offering trainings and opportunities within the organization for staff development
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in a similar role.
- 4 years experience in an international NGO in at least two conflict affected contexts.
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Experience working in an ERP system, including supply chain, finance and HR systems
- Ukrainian language skills are an added value.
- English (Fluent)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- A Master’s Degree or advanced professional qualification in Business Administration, or similar relevant degree.
Contract length: (24) Months
Position Band: This position will be placed at Management (E1) band
Start date: July, 2023
Duty station: Kyiv, Ukraine
Designation of Duty Station: Non-family duty station
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Julian Zakrzewski, email@example.com.
How to apply
Interested to apply? All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, DRC reserves the right of conducting tests and
interviews before the closing date, and can close the advertisement earlier in case of finding a
Closing date for applications: June 5th, 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.