- November 12, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Starting date: January 2022 or upon agreement
Contract duration: 12 months
Country Program: Syria and Iraq Response
Base: Erbil, Iraq, the main regional hub
Line Manager: Country Director for Syria and Iraq Response
Other: Family post
About the Syria and Iraq responses:
PIN has been providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities in Iraq since 2003 and in Syria since the beginning of the humanitarian crisis in 2012 Programmes for conflict-affected communities in both countries focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, Protection, Shelter, Education, Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. In Iraq, PIN is also developing innovative initiatives, such as climate change and renewable energies, aimed at contributing to a more sustainable development of the community
In Syria PIN’s contribution to the humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $50 million, engaging more than 400 full-time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighboring countries. PIN Iraq provides operational support for some of its interventions in Syria, so the HoSO role will also hold this dual focus.
General position summary:
The Head of Systems and Operation (HoSO) is a member of the country programme senior management (together with the Country Director (CD), Programs Director (PD) and Security Advisor (SA)) and shares responsibility for the effective and efficient delivery of People in Need’s (PIN) country programme. Specifically, the role of the HoSO is to manage and improve the support systems and operations required to achieve this objective comprising of the Finance, Human Resources (HR) and Logistics and Procurement departments. The HoSO plays a key role engaging with the local and national authorities and ensuring that we meet legal and administrative requirements, as well as overseeing the movement of international staff in/out of Iraq. They also work with the Operations team to ensure PIN meet with the accountability requirements of PIN and its donors.
Main Duties and Responsibilities are:
- Line manage, direct and support Erbil Finance, HR and logistics and procurement Managers, facilitating good communication between the teams.
- Ensure Systems support programs ensuring effective, efficient and timely responses to needs in Iraq.
- Ensure that recommendations for improvements (e.g. from audits) are implemented in a timely manner;
- Ensure that key support policies are continuously updated as required and appropriate to the context;
- Ensure Iraq compliance check-list is regularly updated and monitor the progress on the action points;
- Ensure procedures and regulations are transparent and in accordance with donors’ and PIN’s rules;
- Oversee the budgets of support departments, improve needs planning and coordination, and contribute to planning needs for new projects with regard to support departments;
- Oversee the Iraq programme economy with the Finance Manager including identification of gaps, financial and procedural risks, and provision of appropriate solutions;
- Oversee HR ensuring the implementation of relevant national and international staff policies including training for new staff, managing leaves, allowances and evaluations;
- Ensure adequate staffing of all supervised departments to achieve efficient delivery of the program;
- Provide technical support and guidance to Logisticians to ensure effective operations and coordination between the office management, fleet management, procurement, stock and assets management;
- Provide technical support and guidance to the finance team to ensure effective operations of and coordination between budgeting, drawing, and accounting;
- Ensure effective communication between support (finance, HR, log) and program departments;
- Ensure compliance with local legislation, rules and regulations in terms of visas, tax, and labour law.
Suitable candidate for this position should:
- Significant previous experience with managing systems, logistics, administration and HR
- Experience with finance management of international donors
- Experience with team management and supervision and interest in building capacity of local staff
- Experience of working within a humanitarian and/or development organization, including in developing and delivering systems which are compliant to EuropeAID, DFID, USAID and/or UN procedures.
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English
- Strong coordination, organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
- Working experience with an accounting and economic software
- Previous working experience from Middle East, particularly the Syrian crisis is advantage;
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- This position is based in Erbil. The accommodation is in a PIN Guesthouse with individual guestrooms and shared bathroom, living room and kitchen. All sites have internet; alternatively private accommodation is available for which there is a reasonable allowance.
- Security situation in Erbil is generally good with a potential for a good social life with restaurants, bars and gyms and a large expat community;
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary as per PIN salary scale (per diems of 1 200 EUR already included): 3.300 – 3.500 EUR, depending on the seniority grade
- The post can be accompanied by family as PIN provides Family Support in form of contributions to housing, schooling, visas and full travel medical insurance for the family members and flights to and from Iraq. Details can be provided on request;
- Opportunities for learning, training and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus regional flights according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
- Travel health insurance and 24/7 medical assistance
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN or Housing Allowance for private accommodation;
- Fleet of drivers available during the whole day for movement around Erbil and its surroundings
How to apply
Are you interested in this position? Great. Send us your CV and short cover letter via this application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).