- August 15, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
JRS-IO Vacancy Announcement
IT Web Application Developer
Department: IT Unit
Location: Rome, Italy
Reports: International Head of IT Unit
Duration: 1 year (renewable)
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is a ministry of the Society of Jesus, incorporated as an international non-governmental organisation with a mission to accompany, serve, and advocate for the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. The organisation was founded in November 1980 and now has a presence in over 56 countries. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support and guidance of an international office (IO) in Rome. The style of JRS’s service is human and spiritual, working in situations of greatest need, seeking the long-term well-being of refugees and displaced people while not neglecting their immediate or urgent needs.
The main services provided are in the field of education, reconciliation, livelihood activities and psychosocial support. Currently, almost 1 million individuals are direct beneficiaries of JRS projects.
The IT Web Application Developer will be responsible for designing and monitoring JRS’s Information Management System (IMS). The IMS consists of the Human Resource Management (HRM) module, the Grants Management (GM) module, and the Programmes, Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) module. The HRM manages data related to positions, staff, agreements, timesheets and other HR related information. The GM manages data related grants, donors, and other funding opportunities. The PME manages data related to services provided to beneficiaries.
IMS system configuration manages data related to regions, offices, departments, chart of account, user roles, user permissions, etc.
Main responsibilities of the position
Under the direct supervision of the Head of IT Unit, the Web Application Developer will perform the following duties:
- Collaborate with relevant staff to understand application requirements and design specification.
- Design and develop user friendly front-end interface consistent with project scope.
- Manage work items and code changes with DevOps (GitHub), and deploy to Azure Virtual Machines.
- Ensure application performance, uptime, and scale, and maintain high standards for code quality and application design.
- Work with agile development methodologies, adhering to best practices Provide technical support and resolve technical issues to ensure smooth operations
- Implement security measures to protect IMS data from vulnerabilities
Qualification and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, software engineering, or a related field or secondary school education supplemented by specialised training in information technology
- Experience in building web applications
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills
- Experience in unit/integration testing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365
- Strong interpersonal skills, tact and ability to establish effective working relationships while working in a multi-cultural, international, professional environment
- Strong organizational skills in time management, priority setting, problem solving and accuracy
- Strong client orientation and service approach
- Knowledge of and/or experience with Laravel (PHP)
- Working knowledge of Italian, French, Spanish, Arabic and/or other languages.
- Understanding of and commitment to humanitarian relief work and international humanitarian standards.
- Field experience and previous working experience with faith-based organisations is an asset.
Core values and ethics
- Commitment to JRS’s mission, vision and values; ability to convey with enthusiasm JRS’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and to advocate for their right to protection and a life in dignity.
- High integrity, honesty, and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with people, situations and information.
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
Terms and Conditions
Please note that this position is only open to candidates who possess EU citizenship or other legal authorization to work in the European Union.
Successful candidates will be offered a contract under Italian law.
How to apply
How to apply
- A cover letter describing the candidate’s desire and motivation to work for JRS and how her/his qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English, including three (3) professional references with contact information, phone and email address.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in joining JRS!