- May 16, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Field-based position with visits to the headquarters in Geneva
Context & Mission
For 50 years, MSF has been providing medical assistance to populations facing life-threatening crises: mainly armed conflicts, but also epidemics, pandemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. All these situations require appropriate medical and logistical resources.
The Learning and Developing Unit – L&D, plays a key role in contributing to the consolidation of MSF OCG’s (Operational Center Geneva) learning culture and the development of staff, by providing learning solutions, advise and support to all departments. The L&D solutions are developed, implemented and organized in four poles or thematic streams; 1) Medical, 2) Operations, 3) Human Resources & Finance, and 4) Transversal.
The Transversal Learning Stream is responsible for the development, implementation, updating and follow up of learning solutions intended to contribute to the integration and professional/personal development of staff, by addressing themes and reinforcing skills and competencies that are common to the workforce, regardless of the department they belong to. Additionally, it contributes to the consolidation, appropriation and understanding of key strategic topics to MSF as organization.
Different transversal learning solution and support is currently provided on topics like Onboarding, DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion), Training of Facilitators, Duty of Care, Planetary Health, Group Management and Knowledge Management. The “Welcome to MSF” responds to the ambition of providing a initial induction to the maximum of new MSF collaborators, regardless of their position or place of recruitment, and “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs, contribute to raising awareness on DEI issues and consolidating an inclusive culture.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The main focus of the Transersal Flying Trainer will be on suporting the implementation and consolidation of the “Welcome to MSF Induction Program”, the “Welcome to MSF Training of Facilitator” and “DEI Programs” in the field. This implies that around 80% of the time of the contract should be allocated to implementation in the different missions of MSF OCG. The implementation of these trainings can include face-to-face, blended and virtual classes, and must be adapted to the reality of the different contexts of intervention of MSF and the diversity of learners.
- Preparation, implementation, and follow-up of transversal learning programs and solutions, specially the three mentioned above.
- Facilitation of tranversal trainings in any of the needed modalities (face-to-face, virtual class and blended).
- Train other facilitators in Facilitation skills, linked to the above-mentioned programs.
- Field implementation: including training of Facilitators, program deployment, follow up, after-program support, writing reports including participants lists.
- Updating pedagogical materials: Session plans, pedagogical kits, documents.
Under the supervision of the Transversal Learning Partner, the Transversal Trainer is in charge of:
Planning, preparation and implementation of transversal training programs
- Prepare and organize implementations linking with focal points and missions: send materials, coordinate with focal points, ensure list of participants, materials, logistics, follow up, registration of participants, deployment report.
- Facilitate the traininigs in the field
- Ensure missions have the needed materials for autonomous implementation.
- Deliver Training of facilitators and accompany participants in the implementations
- Prepare reports and recommendations after implementations
Pedagogical support and design
- Review and update session plans and materials regularly, based on deployment feedback.
- Advise on pedagogical approaches and activitites as result of feedback of implementations.
- Contribute to the development of pedagogical methods and training content upon demand.
- Participate in the review and capitalisation of transversal training programs.
- Contribute to the improvement of the different programs based on experience and feedback from participants.
- Support the evaluation and follow up of programs and suggest recommendations.
Autonomization and Consolidation of Communities of Practice
- Help consolidate a centralized list of trained facilitators information.
- Accompany facilitators in the preparation and facilitation of training implementations.
- Contribute to the promotion of locally trained facilitators for transversal training programs.
- Follow up with Focal Points in the missions to ensure that replications are carried out after the ToF and initial replications have been completed in a given mission and support facilitators post-deployment.
- Facilitation, Adult Education and/or Experiential Education: University degree, Professional Certification or Professional Experience
- Minimum 3 years of proven work experience as a trainer and/or facilitator, with concrete examples of succesful experiences in designing and facilitation.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in MSF and knowledge and understanding of field reality.
- Knowledge facilitating varied transversal themes such as induction programs, responsible behaviours, DEI, management/leadership or other.
- Having facilitated MSF training programs is an asset.
- Proven Facilitation Skills and Experience is fundamental for this position.
- French and English: fluent (spoken and written)
- Arabic, Spanish, Russian a strong asset
- Detail-oriented and meticulous
- Proactive and autonomous
- Flexible (easily adapt to changes)
- Sense of initiative
- Cultural awareness and adaptability
- Attentive listener (and able to react accordingly)
- Pedagogical skills: learners understanding, teaching methods, learning activities, assessment, intervention, etc.
- Strong planning and organizational skills (from the preparation of a training to the follow-up in all the missions where the trainings are deployed).
- Expert face-to-face Facilitation Skills (intervene and guide individual and collective learning processes to achieve given results in interactive and engaging ways)
- Facilitation of on-line trainings and use of different basic tools (Zoom, Teams, Mural, Mentimeter, etc.)
- Group dynamic management (understand the interaction dynamics among groups to be able to create safe and inclusive learning spaces).
- Capacity to take a session plan and turn it into an engaging training, adapting it to different contexts of intervention.
- Good knowledge of MSF operational contexts and its key elements of diversity and multiculturality.
- Able to adapt easily and manage change as a constant in MSF operations.
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-term contract, 6 months, from July 3rd to December 31st, 2023
- Full-time, 100% (40h/week)
- Working place: Field-based position with visits to the headquarters in Geneva
- Practical working conditions in the field are in accordance with the MSF OCG volunteer manual.
- Ideal start date: July 3rd, 2023
- Gross monthly salary: CHF 5’500.- based on 100%
- Benefits: Health insurance and living expenses in the countries of intervention and at headquarters, paid according to internal regulations.
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Deadline for application is June 4th, 2023. Nevertheless, we reserve the right to close the position early if we consider the number and quality of applications received to be sufficient.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.