- May 11, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Overview of position
- Under the overall guidance of the Head of the Aden Sub-office, and direct supervision of the Head of the Engineering Unit, our client in Yemen intends to hire a qualified and motivated Civil Engineering Associate based in the Aden Sub-office to provide support for the overall management of engineering/ processes associated with civil works in the country office (CO), sub-offices and the construction/rehabilitation our client’s projects in Yemen.
- The Civil Engineering Associate will collaborate closely with operations, programme and projects teams in the CO.O.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Supporting the implementation of engineering strategies.
- Supporting the efficient management of construction projects and Engineering processes.
- Supporting the supervision and monitoring of civil/construction projects.
- Collaboration with relevant institutions and Facilitation of Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing.
Specific tasks and responsibilities:
Supporting the implementation of engineering strategies:
- Full compliance with UN/ our client’s rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of client-oriented engineering services workflows.
- Support the engineering services process in the country office.
- Supporting in the constant monitoring and analyses of the environmental, timely readjustment of the operation, advice on legal consideration and risk assessment that impacts the engineering services.
- Providing technical advice and support for construction Projects Implementation.
- Supporting the development of guidelines for civil works initiatives.
- Support reviewing requests for new constructions and rehabilitation works and preparing the follow-up action plan.
- Providing the required support to our client Projects at the assessment and implementation stages.
Supporting the efficient management of construction projects and Engineering processes:
- Assist in ensuring effective and efficient management of civil works and construction projects.
- Providing technical support for planning, designing and reviewing the construction and rehabilitation projects.Participate in the assessment processes of required locations and prepare Bills of Quantities/Technical Specifications, cost estimates and Scope of Work pertaining to civil works.
- Assisting in reviewing technical documentation (design, drawings, BOQs and technical description).Assists in the preparation of tender documents pertaining to the civil works of new projects (designs, bill of quantities, cost estimate and technical specifications) in accordance with International codes and relevant work practices.
- Assist in the analysis and review of the offered unit rates against the cost estimate in correlation with BOQs, provided by contractors and to assess whether they are realistic.
- Participate in the evaluation of bids and selection of the best bidder to the tender for construction works and assessment of the bidder’s competencies and experience against minimum qualification requirements as per the tender requirements.
- Upon request, liaise and coordinate with counterparts and others, to identify project components and their needs to achieve proper planning and timely implementation of the projects.
Supporting the supervision and monitoring of the implementation of civil works/construction projects:
- Assist in supervising the works in accordance with the contract documents and the procedures established by our client to ensure that the civil works are implemented in accordance with the designs, technical specifications, and other Contracts documents.
- Monitor the progress of works and prepare the status report according to contract schedules, specifications and project plan.
- Supervising contractors’ performance in all matters related to the civil works and ensuring that the minimum safety requirement is adhered to, in all the ongoing projects sites.
- Check and review material submittals and equipment incorporated in the works to ensure compliance with designs, specifications, instructions, and safety regulations as per contractual agreements.
- Ensure that the health & safety measures are adopted and followed to the full extent and with no deviation and if needed, instruct additional safety measures.
- Assist in ensuring the correct implementation of the works according to technical specifications, drawings, workmanship and quality of materials.
- Review the Contractor’s work schedules and updates thereof; closely monitor the work progress.
- Preparation of inspection/progress reports.
- Verify the works submitted by contractors/and or consultants, check and record the measurements of the executed works and provide a report to Head of the Engineering Unit for preparation of payment certificate.
- Attend weekly and monthly site/office meetings and take minutes of meetings to be given to the Head of unit.
- Inform the Head of Engineering of any problem which may raise with the contractor.
- Provide reports for contractor claim and/or variations of orders for approval of Head of the Engineering Unit.
- Assist in the preparation of inspection of written snag lists for substantial and final project handover.
- Maintain a filing system for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and materials on site, reports and other documents and correspondence pertaining to the construction activities.
- Carry out any other tasks related to the works and project given by attending weekly and monthly site/office meetings and taking minutes of meetings to be given to the Civil Engineering Associate.
Collaboration with relevant institutions and Facilitation of Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing:
- Assist in the pre-bidding process to establish roster of competent contractors in the country.
- Assist in training sessions for the contractors on how to work on the bidding documents to enhance the capacity and quality of the submission.
- Make regular contributions to the engineering processes knowledge network and other communities of practice.
- Share relevant operational experiences in civil work/construction projects with colleagues and counterparts.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others.
- This role reports to the Project Manager.
- Experience in preparing drawings, BOQs, design and cost estimates of required civil works.
- Experience in supervision/monitoring of implementation of civil works projects.
- Experience in assessing quality of materials, equipment, & recommendations in accepting/rejecting them.
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors and local partners.
- Knowledge of the general situation and similar working experience in the region.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web-based management systems.
- A proven track of excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Experience with UN or international organization would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams and liaison with local authorities.
- Fluent English and Arabic, both spoken and written.
- Demonstrates commitment to our client’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal processes of our client is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Exhibit teamwork spirit and ability to operate under pressure.
- Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making
- Functional Competencies
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Demonstrated ability of analytical and drafting work.
- Knowledge of international standards, specifically for civil works.
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled.
- Proven and demonstrated technical abilities in the required field of expertise in addition to good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
- Good computer knowledge in Microsoft Office applications (WORD, EXCEL, Power Point)
- Good writing and drafting abilities for the purpose of writing clear and concise reports.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control even under pressure.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on the CTG website as a candidate and apply for this role using this link: