Position Title: Operations Officer
Duty Station: Djibouti, Djibouti
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 28 May 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for carrying out duties related to movements of the resettlement programmes, Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF) and other Operations and relevant activities in IOM Djibouti.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
resettlement, including humanitarian evacuation, repatriation, other movements, e.g. charter operations, visa support, counselling and orientation, and return emergency response.
- Supervise the logistical arrangements for migrants and refugee travel including obtaining relevant clearances from the Government authorities; and ensure timely logistical arrangements with ground transportation companies.
- Responsible for the review, adjustment and endorsement of bills and invoices from transport contractors prior to payment by IOM. Assist in negotiating with ground transport providers to ensure low cost, effective, convenient and safe transport of refugees, migrants, IOM staff and other eligible travellers.
- Communicate and coordinate with relevant IOM units and other IOM country offices, international organizations, voluntary and governmental agencies, embassies and other entities to support the processing and implementation of all aspects of the operational activities, and facilitate the completion of relevant statistical and narrative reports.
- Supervise the airport staff during reception and departure of migrants and refugees who are traveling under IOM auspices.
- Supervise and monitor emergency activities related to the management of temporary transit/quarantine sites.
- Contribute to maintaining a positive working relationship with IOM partners, including government officials, Officials of Resettlement countries, United High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and other key partners.
- Draft financial and other types of reports and recommendations regarding the progress of travel projections, security measures, and accurate movement statistics.
- Assist in overseeing the operational staff. Provide training, support, and guidance in the usage of the in-house system application tools, including Migrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA), I-Gator, and the AMADEUS booking reservation system.
- Assist in country-wide coordination of the programme. Implement measures to maintain a high level of integrity consistent with the principles stipulated in the IOM Movement Management Manual (MMM). Follow up on programme implementation and monitoring.
- Monitor and evaluate the entire operations business process, identify areas of improvement and recommend action to as simplify and enhance efficiency.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• At least one year of experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
• Experience in Internally Displaced Persons (IDP)/refugee protection or relevant human rights and legal experience;
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
• Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
• Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 May 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 15.05.2020 to 28.05.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 106 Operations Officer (P2) Djibouti City, Djibouti (56436111) Released