- January 3, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Job Title: Procurement Manager
Location: Beverly, MA (subject to COVID-19 precautions, the majority of the work can be done from home)
Hours: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Oxygen Engineering, Sr. Structural Engineer
Build Health International (BHI) is a rapidly growing global health organization committed to health equity for all. To support our expanding portfolio of medical oxygen projects, BHI is seeking an ambitious and compassionate Procurement Manager to join our oxygen systems and engineering teams. This position is a unique opportunity for a bright, motivated, hands-on supply chain and procurement professional.
The Procurement Manager will be an essential member of the BHI team and will collaborate closely with programmatic, engineering, and procurement colleagues in the US and abroad to ensure effective support to medical oxygen projects throughout all phases of the project lifecycle. This position will focus on the sourcing, purchasing, tracking, and fulfillment primarily related to supporting healthcare infrastructure design and construction projects, in low resource settings in sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean, and South America.
Candidates with a demonstrated interest in international health and relevant professional experience with health sector procurement, particularly with biomedical equipment procurement, are encouraged to apply
This position may require domestic and international travel, subject to COVID-19 restrictions.
About BHI: BHI promotes global equity by building high-quality health infrastructure in resource-constrained countries. Founded in 2014, BHI is a dynamic organization growing rapidly to address unmet needs for health facility improvements in response to COVID-19 and other pressing public health challenges. BHI’s medical oxygen program is in a phase of rapid growth in response to COVID-19. BHI’s medical oxygen program builds on its unique expertise in the construction and repair of hospitals, clinics, and other health infrastructure in Low-and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs).
BHI Approach: BHI optimizes outcomes in a climate of scarcity, enabling our partners to provide care to those who need it most. We work to make each of our healthcare facilities a part of robust public healthcare systems that will provide long-term quality, accessible, and affordable care to the local community.
- Beyond Infrastructure: Focused on providing dignified healthcare and bringing partners together to increase impact for patients, clinicians, and communities worldwide.
- Local Talent: Recruiting, training, and partnering with local labor and medical staff impacts economic development and facility longevity.
- Energy Efficiency: Stable electricity is one of the most significant barriers to improving health systems and services in low-resource settings. We aim to provide affordable, efficient, and operationally effective sources.
- Sustainability: Our multidisciplinary team and collaborative partners plan, design, and construct innovative solutions impacting health and environmental outcomes.
- Hospital Infrastructure Procurement Support: Responsible for meeting the procurement needs of multiple BHI teams. The role will focus on procuring new PSA plants, medical gas piping, spare parts, tools, and other oxygen-related materials for hospitals and health facilities in LMICs. This role will also support the procurement of general construction materials, and healthcare-specific goods to support BHI’s growing design and construction efforts. Success in this role requires the ability to manage multiple ongoing projects simultaneously and to balance competing priorities.
- Timely, Efficient Procurement: Ensure timely procurement of equipment, materials, and supplies through careful order tracking, identification of opportunities for substitution, and negotiation with vendors.
- Vendor Management: Effective coordination and open, organized communication, information sharing, and tracking between BHI and the selected vendors. Manage the relationship between BHI and key vendors to ensure competitive pricing and fair delivery terms.
- Identify New Vendors and Alternative Options: Perform research necessary to identify local and international vendors of required parts and materials. Maintain an accurate, organized tracking system of required parts and available vendors. Frequent, extensive communication with a wide variety of domestic and international vendors to obtain quotes and specifications in a timely manner. Coordinate closely with the engineering team to identify potential alternative suppliers or materials when options are limited due to market complications.
- Logistics and Order Tracking: Organize and manage the tracking of all purchases related to the oxygen initiatives, including ensuring efficient and cost-effective procurement and shipping of material orders. Work closely with the BHI warehouse and logistics team to coordinate package arrivals and onward shipping to the final destination in LMICs, including customs clearance.
- Compliance: Conduct procurement and supply chain management in compliance with donor regulations and BHI financial and procurement policies.
- Procurement Systems Management: Work with senior program managers and engineers to adapt and refine procurement and supply chain management systems to meet the needs of the growing oxygen program.
- Two (2) to eight (8) years of experience working in a sourcing or procurement role. Experience in health sector procurement is preferred.
- Procurement or supply chain experience focused on sub-Saharan Africa or LMICs is recommended.
- Professional experience in humanitarian relief, international development, or global health is preferred.
- Mission-driven and service-oriented.
- Strong organizational, project management, and problem-solving skills.
- High attention to detail is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and focus on achieving results.
- Commitment to learning and building expertise in an emerging field.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Advanced competence in professional software programs, including Google Suite, Zoom, and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Teams)
- French, Haitian Creole, Spanish, or Portuguese language skills are a plus.
Compensation: Competitive base salary commensurate with experience.
Application: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
BHI is committed to providing equal opportunity in the workplace. BHI will make all employment and other placement decisions without regard to non-job-related factors such as race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. This applies to all areas, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and benefits.
How to apply
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com