Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Portfolio Senior Manager – Transactional Projects Portfolio, the Procurement Specialist is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic and effective procurement services reflecting international public procurement best practices, compliance with UNOPS procurement policy, rules, regulations and procedures, ensuring appropriate risk management and obtaining the best value for money for the acquisition of goods, services and the contracting of works.
He/she analyzes and interprets the respective rules and regulations and provides advice and solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement. The role requires deep understanding of procurement policy and processes and the Procurement Specialist should be able to apply them to the appropriate situations.
In addition to responsibility for the deliverables of the work team, the incumbent’s work is focused on strategic relationship building and demand management, mainly referred to aggregation and dealing with complex organizational structures, preparation of business cases and understanding of the supply market, as well as sharing knowledge with projects in order to achieve reductions of costs and savings.
Maintaining the highest degree of personal and professional ethics, the Procurement Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Business Unit. The Procurement Specialist works in close collaboration with the programme/project colleagues in Ethiopia Multi Country Office (EMCO) and with UNOPS HQ personnel, particularly with the Procurement Group (PG), as well as the Government officials, to successfully deliver procurement services.
The Procurement Specialist will work in close cooperation with the Business Unit and Project Managers and report to the management on central issues related to procurement activities. S/he supervises and leads procurement personnel to deliver work results, in close cooperation with the leadership team in EMCO.
- Development and Implementation of procurement strategies
- Management of procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Team Management
1. Leads the development and implementation of procurement and contracting strategies for goods, services and works, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Appropriate application of UNOPS procurement governance framework (rules, regulations, policies and tools) in Business Unit and Project operations.
- Provision of supply-market intelligence and analysis.
- Procurement strategies, approaches and plans designed and implemented according to cost reduction and saving strategies, applying:
- Expertise in market intelligence matched to business requirements;
- Optimal Stakeholder management principles;
- Sustainability criteria;
- Appropriate work processes to individual cases.
- Oversight and supervision of the implementation and results of strategic and routine procurement work plans in Business Unit, coveringPre-Purchasing: Strategy and Planning; Requirements Definition; Sourcing;Purchasing: Solicitation; Management of Submissions; Evaluation; Review and Award;Post Purchasing: Contract finalization and issuance; Logistics; and Contract Management.
2.Manage and guide procurement processes for the acquisition of goods, services and the construction of works for the Business Unit,focusing on achievement of the following results, in compliance with the official procurement policies, rules, regulations and procedures:
- Sustainability embedded in the procurement process.
- Appropriate procurement modalities and instruments applied (e-sourcing, procurement and Rosters of Suppliers) based on individual case requirements, utilizing expert knowledge of procurement policies and instruments.
- Creation, implementation and oversight of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes in Business Unit and projects including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS Procurement rules and regulations.
- Review and pre-clearance of solicitation documents, requests for awards and submissions to Contract and Property Committees (CPCs) in role as Procurement Reviewer (in OneUNOPS or Enterprise system).
- Procurement contracts and contractors optimally managed through supplier and contract performance management against agreed benchmarks and through agreed reporting mechanisms.
- Implementation of Internal control system.
- Elaboration of comments regarding project audit reports of the Business Units, when necessary.
3. Ensure introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Creation, development and management of rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Ensures that the e-sourcing tools are used in accordance with PG goals and standards in this area.
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective recruitment, work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
- Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for Business Unit personnel on Procurement-related topics.
- Lead and conduct initiatives on capacity development and knowledge building for procurement personnel, including network development, plans, learning plans and activities, procurement practice information and best practice benchmarking.
- Oversee team’s contributions to Procurement knowledge networks and communities of practice including collaborative synthesis of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement management.
- Guide team’s collection of feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Procurement Specialist directly affects the overall efficiency of the region and specific project initiatives, in regards to procurement management, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective programmes and the business unit’s operations. Timely, market-aware, and accountable delivery of services, ensures business unit performance, efficiency and client satisfaction, which promote the image and credibility of the team and business unit as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the given geographical area.
- Advanced Degree preferably in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- A First University degree in combination with a minimum of seven (7) years’ qualifying experience, may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- For those who do not have a degree in Procurement of Supply Chain Management, Chartered Institute of Supply and Management (CIPS) or similar international Certification, is a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of UN/ /UNOPS Procurement Rules and Regulations is a distinct advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ professional experience in implementation and advising on, implementing policies and procedures to deliver a range of complex procurement programmes and services is required.
- Experience in working with a range of external and internal stakeholders is an advantage
- Personnel supervisory experience in procurement is an advantage
- Experience in UN system organizations, preferably in a developing country, is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages is required.
- Fluency of written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
How to apply
Interested applicants should use the below link for applying
Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply.