- February 7, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust (MESPT) was established in 2002 by the Government of Kenya and European Union. EU later relinquished their position to the Royal Danish Embassy in Kenya, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (DANIDA) through a Trust Deed of 2013.
The Trust is a development organization with a purpose to grow small holder farmers and Agri SMEs to increase productivity, incomes and enhance competitiveness for job creation especially for youth and women. This is achieved through capacity building which includes skills development, technical support, business advisory, financial and market linkages.
Our focus is to facilitate support and provision of integrated financial and business development services for small holder farmers and Agri SMEs in Kenya. This is aimed at enabling beneficiaries to access finance, increase agricultural productivity, agro-processing, and access markets/ trade opportunities. For over a decade, MESPT has partnered with development agencies, donors, and investors to build the capacity of the business services sector and the agricultural sector in Kenya through a unique tripartite business model that links Farmers, Agri- SMEs, and Financial Institutions – creating linkages along value chains.
We pride ourselves for successfully implementing 12 agriculture-based Programmes that have seen us facilitate creation of 70,000 decent jobs at various levels of the agriculture market systems. We have also cumulatively disbursed KES 6.4 billion to financial institutions and over 250,000 end users have accessed finance. **
ABOUT DANIDA MARKET DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP PROGRAMME
The Danida Market Development Partnership (DMDP) Programme is designed to give an opportunity to enterprises that are keen on delivering towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The programme brings commercial and non-commercial actors together in partnerships to promote sustainable business, development and employment opportunities contributing to SDGs 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth) and 17 (Partnerships for Sustainable Development) among others.
The overall objective of the DMDP programme is to contribute to sustainable economic growth in developing countries within the framework of the SDGs. Through broad partnerships, the facility contributes to the motivation and mobilization of private sector investments. **
The Market Development Partnership Project will contribute to increased and sustainable incomes and decent jobs within the banana subsector in Taita Taveta County with emphasis on women and youth. This will by extension contribute to poverty alleviation.
The project will roll out interventions geared to enhancing the competitiveness of the banana value chain and hence improved market access for the targeted farmers. Production capacities of small holder farmers and service providers will be developed, and vertical and horizontal linkages facilitated thereby sustainably creating value and business efficiencies. There will be emphasis on greening with climate smart and regenerative agricultural practices and Agri circularity solutions promoted amongst smallholder farmers and other key actors and stakeholders.
For further information kindly visit our website www.mespt.org**
As part of its development programme, MESPT is seeking to engage a highly committed, results-oriented, self-driven professional with excellent project management skills to ensure the successful delivery of the programme towards achieving its objectives and targets.
Project Officer (Sustainable Agriculture and Organic Compliance)**Department**
Position Reports to:
DMDP Programme Manager Salary
25 days annual leave, Medical Insurance, 20% Gratuity and 7.5% leave allowance
3 Month probation period, 3 years fixed contract and 1-month notice period
The Project Officer will be responsible in ensuring the adherence/compliance to the organic farming protocols by the farmers and implementation of other relevant certification standards that are integral to achieving the objectives of the DMDP Programme in the Banana Value Chain. This position requires a highly committed and results-orientated person with good coordination and communication skills.
Facilitate Training & Capacity Building
- Facilitate development of the capacity of smallholder farmers to produce banana organically as well as other relevant standards as will be determined by the programme.
- Support the strengthening of farm estates through training and mentorship on group management, leadership, planning, gender and inclusion.
- Facilitate the establishment of organic banana demonstration farm(s) as learning center(s) for farmers.
- Deliver and coordinate trainings to farmers on organic farming and other related sustainable agriculture farming standards.
- Coordinate and/or support trainings of lead farmers, farm estate advisors and key partners on Organic farming, Good Agricultural Practices, Climate Smart Agriculture, among others
- Point of contact in terms of technical support to farm estate advisors (FEAs) on sustainable agriculture and organic farming.
- Provide technical input in the specific content of the curricula modules, content of training, training methods and teaching aids during Value Chain Actors training.
Facilitate Farmer Compliance
- Support organic farming cluster(s) to ensure adherence/compliance to the organic farming protocols by the farmers, successful certification, and renewals.
- Facilitate the implementation of other relevant certification standards as may deemed relevant for farmers by the programme.
- Contribute to the formulation of strategies to improve agricultural productivity of targeted farmers.
- Act as a subject matter expert in Agri-based Standards & Certifications.
- Facilitate integration of youth and women in the programme interventions.
- Implement day to day activities in close consultation with consortium partners and other key stakeholders for successful achievement of project targets and objectives.
- Work closely with the community in the region to identify and manage opportunities and risks, and approaches for development of the value chain.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Conduct frequent follow ups and visits to farmers.
- Participate in programme planning & review.
- Participate in setting and tracking project performance targets in line with overall strategic goal of the Project
- Coordinate and ensure follow up farm visits and monitoring for key programme stakeholders are carried out to track progress on implementation and adherence certification standards.
- Identify and research on sustainable organic farming clusters for banana and complementary crops within Taita Taveta county.
- Contribute to analytical work, advisory services and knowledge products related to the value chain, including studies and action plans, benchmarks, and indicators to monitor progress, training, and dissemination activities.
- Support development of the small holder farmers training & certification data base. This will require working with other departments to compile reliable and comparable data.
- Participate in preparation of activity, monthly, quarterly, biannual, and annual programmatic and financial reports and share with key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Share information and lessons learnt with partners and other programme staff.
Facilitate access to credit for farmers
- Sensitize and disseminate information to farmers on available credit products from the financial service providers.
- Coordinate trainings of Farm estates on financial literacy, savings, and credit.
Facilitate stakeholder engagement in the banana Value Chain
- Facilitate the establishment and strengthening of county level banana platform.
- Participate in county level stakeholder meetings.
- Contribute to county level discussions on policy formulation that contribute to providing a conducive environment for smallholder farmers and sustainable agriculture.
- Facilitate knowledge and information sharing for stakeholders at county level
- Promote functional collaboration with County Government, Competent Authorities, and project/development stakeholders to strengthen the Banana Value Chain.
Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor from time to time
- Head of Programmes
- MEAL Manager
- Programme Officers
- Programme Accountant
- ICT Officers
- Communication Officer
- Partner organizations & County Government Officials.
- Stakeholders including farmer groups, co-operatives, donors, and private companies.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- A minimum of 5 years relevant working experience, with at least 3 years’ experience gained in the field of Agricultural Value Chains and Green growth development projects with regard to training and certification of small holder farmers, farmer groups and/or cooperatives on organic farming protocols.
- Experience in Monitoring & Evaluation will be an added advantage.
- Previous working experience in donor-funded programmes is desirable.
- An understanding of project cycle management approaches and tools – including participatory capacity assessment and planning, project appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and partners’ capacity building,
- Experience in community-based programming
- Knowledge of organic farming certification standards.
- High level skills and experience in training & capacity building
- Ability to work in partnership with county governments and the private sector: capable of ensuring best practice and dealing with performance issues.
- Ability and resilience to cope with multiple internal and external demands.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Highly organized individual in planning activities and tracking activity implementation.
- Willingness to travel and interact effectively with stakeholders.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Education and Extension, Agribusiness, Horticulture/Agronomy, Food Sciences or Related Field
- Certification in Project Management will be an added advantage.
- Excellent computer skills especially with MS Word and Excel and presentation related packages
- Holds self-accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Develops new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Has integrity
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, external partners, and stakeholders
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and MESPT reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters indicating their current/last remuneration, detailed CV with email address, daytime telephone contacts, names, and email contacts of 3 professional referees, 2 must have supervised you at some point, with one being your most recent supervisor to email@example.com quoting Job Reference and Job Title in the subject line.
The candidate must legally be eligible to work full time in Kenya.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Deadline for applications 18th February 2022 at 4.00 pm EAT.
MESPT is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and committed to Gender Equity and Diversity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.