- August 22, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Position: Project Officer – (WASH)
Department: Project Implementation Unit
Location: Baidoa, Somalia
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: Project Manager – WASH
Starting date: September 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the Project Officer (WASH) position in BAIDOA, Somalia.
The Project Officer ensures the implementation of WASH project activities and prepares written materials and progress reports on WASH field activities. He/she will also be in charge as assigned to him/her by the Wash Project Manager for all WASH activities in target communities. Additionally, this position will support WASH Component i.e LA Engagement, Geographical targeting, Wash development of staff/hygiene promotion volunteers and ensure implementation is done in close collaboration with program staff, the local community, the Local authority, and other relevant agencies, He/she contributes to effective and timely completion of WASH activities, delivery of quality outputs and achievement of outcomes with maximum impact for beneficiaries. He/she reports directly to the Project Manager and works closely with the field team.
Duties and Responsibilities
1- Project implementation follow up
- Follow up the implementation project activities in Somalia to ensure the project is completed in a timely and accountable manner.
- Ensure that ACTED actions are ethnically fair and proportionate.
- Coordinate with the field team in Somalia and other departments to prepare and implement project monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Set up, plan, supervise and monitor the project at the field level to ensure the successful implementation of all projects activities, the generation of planned outputs and attainment of key project objectives.
- Help in development and updating of monthly Project Management Framework (PMF) sheets to ensure smooth tracking of the assigned projects
- Periodically monitor and update Beneficiary database of the projects and update in the events of re-targeting before finally sharing with Programme Manager and compliance as well as other interested departments
- Ensure all activities undertaken are appropriately documented (agreement/MOUs with relevant authorities in Somalia, attendance sheets and training circular, beneficiary Registration lists, work plans and accounts when relevant etc)
- Coordinate with AME departments in alerting them on all planned monitoring activities of the projects and create smooth work relationship.
- Liaise with field project mobilizers in providing necessary technical support in reporting and implementation of project activities.
- Liaise with other departments to coordinate procurement and other needs for project.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Develop and implement a monitoring plan for all WASH activities in jurisdiction. Identify forums for community involvement in monitoring of WASH activities.
- Integrate WASH into primary activities.
3. Supervision and Training
- Directly supervise the WASH Mobilizers(s) and Community Volunteers.
- Develop and implement capacity building plans for WASH assistant(s) and community volunteers.
- Develop and implement context specific training guides on hygiene promotion for community volunteers.
- Develop Clear plan for Community Water tracking.
- Provide timely reports on the field trips, monitoring visits and assessments to the Wash Project Manager.
- Compile weekly, monthly and other ACTED substantial reports as may be required, including donor reports.
Qualifications/Skills and Experience Required
- Degree/Diploma with 4 years working experience in the field of WASH and Public Health or water engineering or other related disciplines; plus, relevant work experience in Food Security and community water, Sanitation, and hygiene programs for displaced populations.
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of water and sanitation projects. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Fluency in English, oral and written with strong report writing skills.
Essential knowledge and skills:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection, and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
How to apply
Qualified Nationals persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e., with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 4th September 2023 with the subject line WASH PROJECT OFFICER – BAIDOA
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconduct. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.