- August 3, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
**Please submit resumes in English
CARE is seeking a highly motivated individual to assume the role of Regional Humanitarian Director (RHD) to support Latin America and the Caribbean. The RHD will play a key role in CARE’s preparedness and response to humanitarian crises in the region. This person reports to the Regional Director (RD) with a dotted line to the Humanitarian Affairs Sr Director for Emergency Response and Coordination. The person in this role represents CARE in regional humanitarian fora and plays a critical role on donor’s dialogue and influence.
The RHD provides coordination and support to Country Presences (CPs) responding to humanitarian crises, linking internal and external stakeholders to best support the response and will be expected to be the first rapid response staff to deploy to support CP initial response start-up and develop fundraising strategy and proposals.
The RHD will work to strengthen the capacity of CP’s and CARE’s partners to prepare for humanitarian responses and ensuring that the program quality aspects of CARE’s locally led, globally connected and gender equal approach are integrated into our humanitarian programming.
Both Spanish and English is required for this role, with French being highly desired.
Humanitarian Response – Support to Country Presences (CPs)
- Represent CP issues and challenges at the regional level to Donors, UN agencies, peers and other external stakeholders.
- Deploy as Team Leader or any other role to support the CP response to a humanitarian crisis or deploy for the initial assessment in a new Presence Response
- Support CP to develop fundraising strategies along with innovative and robust donor proposals.
Drive Humanitarian Program Quality
- Provide clear vision and strategic direction to all of CARE’s humanitarian work across all CPs working in the region, feeding into Regional and Country program strategies.
- Work closely with CARE Member Partners and CPs to drive policy into practice, notably commitments on gender, localization and the commitment to reach 10% of the affected population.
- Facilitate technical support to CP for impact at scale with innovate models.
- Facilitate new tools and methodologies for nexus approaches on humanitarian context.
Enable Country Presence Preparedness and Capacity
- Support and advise County Presences and Partners on emergency preparedness planning (EPP) and minimum preparedness action.
- Together with Regional Directors, seek the development of regional and country humanitarian capacity and appropriate strategies. This includes regional rosters for humanitarian staff and facilitating training and/or mentoring opportunities for key CP staff.
- Facilitate support to region/CP to develop quality and diversified humanitarian partnership models.
Ensure Humanitarian Representation and Information Management
- Represent and build CARE’s humanitarian profile in regional forums and meetings with external stakeholders (donors, peers, etc.) represent, and position regional perspective in internal spaces.
- Identify, organize, systematize and share on a regular basis on humanitarian issues and ensure alignment with regional/country humanitarian advocacy agenda.
- Support the development and implementation of an evidence base advocacy and communication strategy at regional/national level.
- Master’s degree, or relevant combination of qualifications and experience, in a relevant field.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in humanitarian preparedness, risk reduction and response
- Strong understanding of the various challenges & strengths in various humanitarian contexts in LAC Region
- Proven experience and competencies in external representation to key external stakeholders such as Donors, UN Agencies, and I/INGOs
- Strong negotiation and advocacy skills to represent the interest of CPs and CARE to donors, UN agencies and other partners.
- Experience in developing and implementing fundraising strategies and writing successful donors’ proposals.
- Experience in programme design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, including the CORE Humanitarian Standards, SPHERE standards, Grand Bargain, gender, donor relations, security and protection considerations.
- Experience in scale-up emergency response, Gender in Emergencies; women’s empowerment programming and humanitarian accountability.
- Experience and full comitment to work on equal parternship approaches (localization agenda)
- Excellent training, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills
- High level of writing and communication skills in English and Spanish required. French also highly desired
- Gender studies and familiarity with feminist principles in practice highly desired
- Willingness to spend high proportion of time traveling away from home (approx 60%) and be deployed with limited notice period.
How to apply
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran.* If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.***
Starting salaries are based on internal equity, candidate experience, and the cost of labor where the job is based. Salaries listed only apply to jobs based in the US.