- March 21, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The DREF Officer for MENA region will contribute to the overall understanding of the DREF mechanism and the DREF application and implementation process by:
- Providing dedicated technical support to National Societies and IFRC delegations involved in DREF operations within these Country and Cluster delegations,
- Supporting effective and rapid DREF requests, ensuring adherence to established criteria, and to monitor the operations achieve their goal, objectives and expected results as per the DREF Procedures.
- Fostering compliance to DREF Procedures and Guidelines amongst NSs, making sure that eligibility and scope of DREF mechanism is clearly communicated to the national societies.
The DREF Officer for MENA will ensure that information on DREF operations National Societies is collected and analysed in a systematic way to assist in assessing and recording key achievements and challenges from DREF operation to contribute to improving future disaster responses and learning from emergencies. The DREF Officer for MENA will equally support the operations team as part of the DCC Unit for MENA in overall management of DREF requests, timeframe extensions and final reports as well as the learning of and review of DREF operations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance to National Societies, Cluster and Country Delegations in preparing DREF allocation requests, including the support to develop and use relevant resources to strengthen the understanding and use of the DREF mechanism.
- Promoting timeliness and advising on the eligibility of the proposed activities and compliance with DREF Procedures, ensuring initial timely operation strategy calls with regional and country delegations, or participating on joint task force calls and providing advice on the eligibility or not of the proposed requests, and advising on DREF grant or loan procedures according to the Emergency Response Framework
- Support the DREF approval process by ensuring appropriate and timely technical inputs from regional technical and support services teams and validation by finance; including liaising with DREF team in Geneva for quality control and sign off.
- Work with the DREF operation budget holders to maintain an overview of DREF expenditure, revision of operation plans where necessary and timely and transparent financial and narrative reporting on the use of DREF funds. This will be done in collaboration with Cluster and Country Delegations’ Operations, Finance and PMER teams to ensure proper monitoring of operations.
- Facilitate and encourage quality and timely reporting on DREF-funded operations through close cooperation with Country and Cluster PMER and Finance Units.
- Disseminate and promote understanding of the Procedures and Guidelines for the use of DREF.
- Monitor respect of DREF Procedures in the MENA Region, reporting issues of non-compliance to the HoDCC.
- Provide on-site and hands-on support to MENA National societies on DREF capacity development and learning.
- ensure close collaboration with other technical teams to maximise the opportunities of using the DREF tool (linkages with PER mechanism, anticipation, contingency planning ….etc.)
B. Representation & Relationships
- The DREF Officer for MENA works under the management of the HoDCC MENA within the Disaster and Crisis Prevention, Response and Recovery (DCPRR) Unit to ensure that DREF Procedures and Guidelines are respected for DREF operations and provides regular updates and information for informed decision making related to the DREFs. The DREF officer shall work in close coordination with and seek technical guidance from the HoDCC as necessary.
- Work in close collaboration with the relevant CCSD/CD’s, as well as Operations, Health, Logistics, WASH, Shelter, NSD and other colleagues on thematic files to promote an integrated approach in disaster response operations.
- Work in close collaboration with PMER and Finance colleagues to ensure timely and quality DREF bulletins and reports.
The DREF Officer has a technical reporting line to the DREF Senior officer in Geneva, who will advise the DREF Officer on DREF technical issues and parameters on overall operations.
Degree level (or equivalent qualification) in Disaster Management, International Development, or other relevant subject.
- At least five years’ relevant experience of disaster management and particularly disaster response operations in multiple country contexts
- Previous experience of monitoring and evaluation
- Previous experience of using International Federation planning, reporting and finance tools
- Experience of programme design, project management and reporting, preferably in relation to disaster response
- Practical experience in sectors that link with disaster response (i.e. relief, food security, health, WASH, logistics)
- Disaster response experience in MENA context
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (including presentations, database and use of statistics
- Facilitation and training skills
- Networking skills
Fluently spoken and written French, English, and Arabic
Competencies and Values
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Creativity and Innovation
- Judgement and Decision Making
- National Society and Customer Relations
- Building Trust
- Empowering Others
This is a national staff position open to nationals and others who are legally eligible to work in Jordan or Lebanon where IFRC has legal presence. Candidates must be able to provide proof of their eligibility to work in one of those countries during application phase.
How to apply
For those who are interested in this position, the application is ONLY accepted through the following link: