- April 4, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day-to-day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence– We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom– We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency– We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Resident Program Director (RPD) will be based in Banjul and is responsible for all programmatic, personnel, outreach and accounting matters in The Gambia. In consultation with IRI/Washington, the RPD designs and implements a long-range strategy for IRI programs in The Gambia, manages budgets and is responsible for compliance with local laws and regulations governing current funding.
· Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
· Minimum of 8 years of professional experience in democracy and governance, working directly with political parties, civil society organizations/NGOs, and marginalized groups, particularly youth and women.
· Experience managing and implementing complex development programs in politically closed and/or closing spaces.
· Experience implementing activities that encourage competitive, representative, inclusive, and transparent political and electoral processes.
· Demonstrated experience working with civil society, assessing and enhancing organizational and advocacy capacity, mentoring, and coaching.
· Working knowledge of the politics, economics, history, and culture of The Gambia specifically and West Africa more generally.
· Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills in English.
· Demonstrated management experience including ability to motivate and manage staff.
· Experience working with USG funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes, especially USAID and U.S. Department of State (required).
· Financial management experience in developing and administering program budgets.
· Ability to prepare, present and negotiate complex and sensitive agreements and/or project proposals with bilateral/multi-lateral agencies and other donor communities.
· Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor, or technical consultant; sensitivity to working in advisory role with local organizations.
· Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
· Willingness to travel within The Gambia throughout the year.
· Willingness to live and work in a challenging environment.
· Must be fluent in English.**
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Monitors, analyzes, and reports on political and related developments in The Gambia to provide regional and country analysis.
- Serves as the official senior IRI representative in The Gambia, developing credibility with and maintaining good relationships with all relevant stakeholders, including U.S. and foreign diplomats and donor agencies, host-country government representatives, and program partners.
· Participates in the substantive design of new programs and contributes to the development of new program ideas.**
· Oversees the implementation of all program activities oversees ensuring consistency with grant work plans and objectives.**
· Establishes, maintains, and develops productive working relationship with relevant stakeholders, consultants, field and DC staff.
- Oversees all operations related to the IRI field presence and ensures IRI is in compliance with local laws regarding IRI’s legal status in the country and employment of field staff.
- Supervises field staff, including participating in the hiring, professional development and evaluation process for these staff. Sets specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
· Mentors field staff in program development, finance, work plan development and presentation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, business development and knowledge management in The Gambia**.**
· Maintains an understanding of donor and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
· Understands a grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements.
· Oversees the implementation of all program activities in The Gambia ensuring consistency with grant work plans and objectives, reporting weekly to DC.**
· Monitors and approves field office budgets and expenses, in collaboration with DC program staff and the Regional Project Accountant, to ensure that expenditures remain within budget allocations.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports to DC staff on political and economic developments, and media responses.
- Ensures adherence to monitoring and evaluation plans, including the monitoring of programs and evaluation/analysis of program results.
· Provides information and contributes to sections of quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders.
· Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
· Leads business development efforts, including identifying and seeking out potential new or additional sources of funding with real-time costs estimates for proposal budgets, and/or the development of new program ideas, coordinating with DC staff.
· Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans on projects assigned, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, etc.
· Performs other duties as assigned.**
How to apply
Please submit both resume and cover letter to the company website: Resident Program Director – The Gambia | Job Opportunities (ultipro.com)