- October 23, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
HIAS seeks an experienced Response Director to manage our emergency response in Israel in response to the current humanitarian crisis in Israel. As a senior position of the team, the Response Director is responsible for managing the Emergency Response team on the ground in Israel and will coordinate with our HIAS Israel country office, local partners, and lead programming efforts in country.
The Response Director will work directly with HIAS Israel, to oversee the implementation of the emergency response plan, follow up on funding opportunities, and work as the interlocutor between the local country office team, HQ, and regional teams. This position will have overall responsibility for response-related operations, including the security and wellbeing of emergency response staff working on the response team.
- Develop and monitor implementation of Response Strategy that addresses strategic goals and humanitarian standards to meet humanitarian needs.
- Ensure response team is staffed to meet the needs of the emergency response and conduct high-level workforce planning with HR and mobilize surge functions as required.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with humanitarian actors, government representatives, and other stakeholders.
- Create and maintain collaborative relations and where appropriate, partnerships with government, other NGOs, UN agencies, civil society, churches, bi-lateral missions, and donors.
- Participate in consortium meetings and Response related national coordination meetings.
- Develop and plan response strategy goal and objectives by providing oversight to funding allocation to ensure alignment with strategy and humanitarian needs.
- Implement response program in accordance with response commitments to meet international and HIAS standards.
- Initiate resourcing mechanisms and ensure financial resources are managed according to HIAS standards, donor and HQ agreements.
- Oversee security function, planning, and implementation to ensure high level of duty of care for all response staff and organizational safety and security.
- Ensure all internal and external reporting standards and requirements are met.
- Ensure response meets HIAS’ minimum quality standards and supports program improvement, reflection, learning and innovation.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in emergency/humanitarian response, at least three of which much be in the field.
- Dynamic individual with a proven ability to achieve results in a demanding, fast-paced and often insecure environment.
- Demonstrated experience in a management role in field-level emergency programming and operations, including direct line management of multi-national teams.
- Experience in managing multi-sector programs in an emergency context.
- Demonstrated understanding of and expertise in operational best practices (e.g., Finance, HR, Security, Logistics) when working in complex and challenging environments.
- Fluency in English both verbal and written required; fluency in Hebrew and/or Arabic strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required; Master’s Degree Preferred.
- Willingness to relocate for at minimum three months with short notice.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills required or permanent location. Location is subject to change based on programmatic needs. Flexibility is essential as we grow and develop. The successful candidate must be comfortable in a fast-paced, changing work environment with many crucial deadlines. All team members may be required to perform duties outside of their normal work hours of responsibilities as needed.
SAMPLE HIRING PROCESS:
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a Human Resources staff person.
Step 3: Interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Reference check.
Step 6: Offer and background check.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
HIAS is committed to the protection of children, vulnerable adults and any other person from any harm caused directly or indirectly due to their coming into contact with HIAS. We will not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or any form of child abuse or neglect by our staff or associated personnel. Any candidate offered a job with HIAS will be expected to sign and adhere to HIAS’ Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records. HIAS also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. Likewise, HIAS will share this information when other organizations inquire about current and former HIAS staff as part of their recruitment process. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
To apply, please visit: Response Director – Careers At HIAS (hrmdirect.com)