- February 9, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
OVERVIEW OF THE STRATEGIC PURCHASING AFRICA RESOURCE CENTRE (SPARC)
The Strategic Purchasing Africa Resource Center (SPARC) is a resource hub aimed at strengthening strategic purchasing capacity in Sub-Saharan Africa by connecting existing regional expertise and matching it with country demand to make better use of resources for health. Our vision is to empower countries with knowledge and practical tools to make access to affordable and quality health care a reality for all. SPARC is creating a network of regional experts who can support the development of practical, home-grown solutions that meet countries’ strategic purchasing needs. SPARC is hosted by Amref Health Africa, a foremost Africa based NGO, as part of its strategic move to support health financing reforms in Africa. SPARC’s core partner – Results for Development (R4D) – provides technical support to SPARC.
Under the leadership of the Technical Lead, the Senior Coaching and Mentoring Officer will lead SPARC’s coaching and mentoring pillar, which aims to build and support a cadre of regional experts from sub-Saharan Africa, who can work alongside and provide contextualized support to country-led strategic purchasing reform processes. SPARC co-created the “coaching approach,” with the African Collaborative Health Financing Solutions (ACS) and the Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator to rethink how to provide technical assistance, as well as who should provide the support, to better facilitate country-led health systems change.
The Senior Coaching and Mentoring Officer will be responsible for identifying and developing a pool of regional experts with strategic purchasing expertise who are prepared to provide coaching support to countries. As SPARC country engagements emerge, the Senior Coaching and Mentoring Officer will generate a shortlist of coaches for countries to choose from, and will prepare, support, and monitor coaches throughout their country engagements in conjunction with the country engagement team. The Senior Coaching and Mentoring Officer will also work with the Evidence Generation and Learning (EGAL) team to ensure that coaching engagements are documented, and knowledge products are developed and disseminated. The Senior Coaching and Mentoring Officer will also be expected to collaborate with the R4D coaching focal persons to provide thought leadership around improvement and codifying the “coaching approach” and the management of the Global Expert database. This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel across Africa and occasionally beyond.
SPARC is a small team with an ambitious work plan and team members must be able to work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment. The ideal candidate is highly-motivated, a fast learner, resourceful, flexible, independent, energetic, with excellent communications skills, cultural sensitivity and experience working with senior leaders.
- Execute the expert coaches’ strategy that defines SPARC’s strategy for identification, recruitment, training and retention of a cadre of “Coaches” for country engagement
- Develop annual workplans and budgets for SPARC’s coaching and mentoring activities
- Provide guidance, management support, mentorship and effective leadership to direct reports
- Facilitate the identification and contracting of “Coaches” for SPARC country engagements
- Prepare coaches for their engagements, including orienting them to the “coaching approach”, and identifying any gaps for capacity development
- Serve as the SPARC key focal person for coaches throughout their engagements
- Work collaboratively with the country engagement team to provide quality assurance and support to the expert “Coaches”
- Ensure the expert coaches’ profiles are continuously updated on the Global Expert database
- Collaborate with the R4D coaching focal persons to provide thought leadership around improvement and codifying of the “coaching approach” and Global Expert database
- Work with the EGAL and Communications team to ensure learnings from coaching engagements are documented and disseminated
- Adapt and implement existing tools to support use of the “coaching approach” in SPARC country engagements, as needed
- Lead the development and deployment of SPARC’s “Coaching approach” and “Strategic Health Purchasing” capacity building modules for experts and policy makers
- Provide inputs into the development of tools and resources to support the “coaching approach”
- Support program reporting as required.
- Contribute to new and existing projects such as the USAID supported Frontier Health Markets and the WHO CPEA work
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Economics, Public or Social Policy, International Development or any other relevant field.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant professional experience of working alongside and supporting government health agencies and/or other key health stakeholders on issues related to health financing or health systems strengthening.
- Experience providing coaching and process facilitation support on issues related to health systems strengthening is a highly desired – i.e., supporting a country-led process that has broad stakeholder buy-in, develops the capacity of country partners, and leads to contextually appropriate and technically valid solutions.
- Demonstrated track record in building and maintaining strong stakeholder relationships.
- Highly collaborative working style.
- Ability and enthusiasm to work with multicultural partners.
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Fluent in speaking, reading and writing in English. Proficiency in French is highly desired.
How to apply
Please visit our website https://amref.org/job/senior-coaching-and-mentoring-officer/ to make your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. Kindly note that this position will remain open until filled and selection process will be on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and have not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.