- February 9, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
OVERVIEW OF THE STRATEGIC PURCHASING AFRICA RESOURCE CENTRE (SPARC)
The Strategic Purchasing Africa Resource Center (SPARC) is a resource hub aimed at strengthening strategic purchasing capacity in Sub-Saharan Africa by connecting existing regional expertise and matching it with country demand to make better use of resources for health. Our vision is to empower countries with knowledge and practical tools to make access to affordable and quality health care a reality for all. SPARC is creating a network of regional experts who can support the development of practical, home-grown solutions that meet countries’ strategic purchasing needs. SPARC is hosted by Amref Health Africa, a foremost Africa based NGO, as part of its strategic move to support health financing reforms in Africa. SPARC’s core partner – Results for Development – provides technical support to SPARC.
Under the leadership of the Technical Lead, the Senior Country Engagement Officer, Anglophone Africa will co-lead SPARC’s country engagement pillar with the Senior Country Engagement Officer for Francophone Africa. S/he will be responsible for managing the lifecycle of a country engagement, including the smooth onboarding of selected partners, scoping and design of the engagement, and technical guidance throughout the engagement process in Anglophone African countries. This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel across Africa and occasionally beyond.
SPARC is a small team with an ambitious work plan and team members must be able to work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment. The ideal candidate is highly-motivated, entrepreneurial, resourceful, flexible, independent, energetic, with excellent communications skills, cultural sensitivity and has demonstrated experience supporting technical assistance projects.
- Co-lead development of SPARC’s country engagement strategy
- Co-lead the development of annual workplans and budget for the country engagement pillar
- Provide guidance, management support, mentorship and effective leadership to direct reports
- Lead country scoping and other stakeholder engagements upon country requests and propose best-fit approaches to provide support to the country
- Develop concept notes, terms of references, presentations and other relevant documents during the country engagement process
- Work collaboratively with the coaching and mentoring officer to identify suitable experts/ “Coaches” that can provide support to the country engagement
- Support the “Coach” in providing technical assistance to policy makers and stakeholders to ensure streamlined and effective country engagement activities
- Provide day-to-day management of specific country engagements, ensuring work is completed against the scope, timelines, and budget
- Document the country engagement process to facilitate regional learning across engagements, teams and pillars working with the Evidence Generation and Learning (EGAL) team
- Support the design of new projects and contribute to business development proposals
- Contribute to new and existing projects such as the USAID supported Frontier Health Markets and the CPEA work
- Support program reporting as required
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Degree in Public health, Health Economics, Social Sciences or other relevant fields.
- At least seven (7) years’ experience providing program support to health financing related technical assistance projects in preferably anglophone Africa.
- Excellent knowledge of UHC, health financing and/or health economics landscape in Africa
- Good experiential understanding of the complexities and nuances of designing, deploying and managing technical assistance/country engagement programs in anglophone Africa
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills working with cross cultural and multi diverse teams
- Demonstrated team leadership and program management skills
- Excellent analytical skills, as well as the ability to express facts and ideas in a clear, convincing and organized manner
- Highly organized and able to set priorities and handle multiple competing time and resource demands
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products at intermediate level
- Willing to travel across Africa
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing in English. Proficiency in speaking, reading and writing in French is appreciated.
How to apply
Please visit our website https://amref.org/job/senior-country-engagement-officer-anglophone-africa/ to make your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. Kindly note that this position will remain open until filled and selection process will be on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and have not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.