- February 17, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Senior Advisor, Technical
Based in any country PSI is registered and USA approved states
10-25% international travel
Work From Almost Anywhere Status = Eligible for US Locations
Reports to Health Systems Director
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape stronger and more resilient mixed health systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer-powered healthcare.
PSI seeks a Senior Advisor, Technical that will support the technical functions of PSI’s Health Systems Accelerator (HSA), including leading or managing the implementation of activities around health systems strengthening, health financing, and governance in line with PSI’s global strategy and global best practices. Involved in and may lead the design of technical activities and the development of technical strategies for new business opportunities. Contributes to internal capacity building efforts in health systems strengthening across the PSI network. An internal and external thought leader in shaping stronger, more resilient, and more consumer-powered mixed health systems.
Technical: Lead or manage the development of HSA technical activities. Build PSI’s capabilities and reputation in health systems strengthening (HSS):
- Provide remote and in-country technical assistance to build capacity of network members to effectively deliver results in line with global best practices, PSI’s global strategy, and the HSA’s technical strategy.
- Support PSI country teams to integrate health systems research, and to analyze evidence to determine best practices.
- Provide subject matter expertise to support country teams in their efforts to help governments accelerate progress toward UHC, with an initial strong focus on Somalia and Somaliland
- Contribute to country efforts to develop primary healthcare ecosystems in line with PSI’s consumer-powered healthcare framework.
- Lead the development and implementation of specific HSA workstreams, in collaboration with both the HSA team and program management team. Contribute to the building of the HSA team by managing, overseeing, and generating demand for consultants that can help to broaden PSI’s capabilities in HSS.
[35% of the Time]
Representation: Engage with donors and represent PSI in external forums. Convey PSI’s work in written and verbal form. Participate in technical conversations and meetings convened by donors.
[20% of the Time]
Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management: Engage with other departments within PSI and contribute to internal decision-making as a subject matter expert in shaping stronger, more resilient and more consumer-powered mixed health systems. Engage externally to represent PSI and demonstrate technical expertise, capacity, and experience in the area of consumer powered HSS. Develop new tools/frameworks or content for publications (e.g., blogs, manuscripts, etc.) that demonstrate PSI’s technical expertise and experience in shaping mixed health systems.
[15% of the Time]
Fundraising: Contribute to new business development for HSS work by writing or reviewing proposals, as well as identifying new funding opportunities. May lead large and / or complex bids.
[10% of the Time]
Program Management: Manage technical HSS-related workstreams. Provide subject matter expertise while ensuring that all milestones and deliverables are met.
[10% of the Time]
People Management: May manage people; provide coaching and mentoring to staff.
[10% of the Time]
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change.**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in public health, health systems, or related field or related field (e.g., MPH, MSc, MPP, MPA, MBA).
- At least 10 years of related experience. Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
- Prior experience working in Africa and/or Asia in Health Systems Strengthening preferred.
- Experience working with Ministries of Health, and public and private sector actors to strengthen mixed health systems.
- Experience in the deployment and institutionalization of digital solutions to strengthen the governance of mixed health systems.
- Demonstrate advanced technical knowledge in health systems strengthening.
- Ability to contribute to thought leadership in relevant technical area.
- Ability to contribute to the internal and external body of evidence in relevant technical area.
- Ability to provide technical assistance to PSI network.
- Ability to share knowledge internally and externally with global communities of practice; represents PSI externally.
- Ability to solve problems with creativity and analyze complex issues using in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Ability to operate with minimal supervision and considerable latitude for independent judgement to achieve desired outcomes.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external colleagues. Able to work as a member of a team and independently.
- Ability to lead development of technical approach for proposals and identify potential new business opportunities.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365. Familiarity with a quantitative or qualitative data analysis program preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. Proficiency in a relevant language other than English preferred.
- Cultural humility and respect.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement:You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty:You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration:You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust:You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment:You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: Must be authorized to work in the United States or the PSI country location. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.