- February 15, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Save the Children is currently accepting applications for a Technical Director/Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an anticipated USAID-funded Integrated Health Activity in Sierra Leone. The program will be focusing on the improvement of maternal, newborn, and child health as well as family planning in the Western Urban, Western Rural, Kaliahun, and Pujehun regions.
The DCOP reports directly to the Chief of Party and ensures technical implementation of high impact, proven interventions that meet stated goals and reporting requirements. This individual will assume the responsibilities of the COP in their absence. The DCOP coordinates with USAID, key stakeholders, implementing partners and government representatives. In addition, the DCOP will manage the implementation of key program activities throughout the targeted districts, oversee the work of program managers, and ensure efficient operational support for the project team.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- In collaboration with the COP, ensure that the program is delivered according to the contractual requirement with the donor and government i.e. that all activities and deliverables are completed within the agreed timescale and budget, reports are submitted as per agreed schedules and any other requirements or criteria are fulfilled;
- Design and regularly update detailed annual work plans and ensure these are used by the team appropriately to monitor progress towards completion and achievement of program objectives;
- Ensure that programmatic and financial reports for donors, government and Save the Children are prepared as required, ensuring these are of the highest quality and submitted in a timely manner to the donor. Be fully aware of the grant compliance regulations of Save the Children as well as USAID;
- Assist with the preparation and revision of a realistic budget, authorizing and monitoring expenditure in line with the budget, donor guidelines and Save the Children’s grant management and financial regulations;
- Manage and motivate direct reports to achieve their work plan objectives, and to contribute to the achievement of the overall program goals;
- Maintain good working relationships with officials, government ministries, implementing partners and the international and local NGO community;
- Work with program staff and Save the Children Technical Advisors based in the country office to identify the technical support needs of the program and ensure this support is provided;
- Monitor country-level activities, identify challenges and develop appropriate reporting and results of project activities to the COP including progress and annual reports;
- Coordinate closely with the SC offices in administrative and HR matters, especially regarding operations and financial matters as they relate to the program;
- Attend and actively participate in periodic program meetings and ensure a summary of progress and challenges are prepared and presented with follow-up actions as required.
- Provides input to the strategic and operational plan for their functional area. Develops short term plans and establishes priorities affecting own area. Accountable for achieving results in short term plan. Responsible for setting clear objectives and measures for self and others.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion on significant matters related to functional area. Objectives and milestones are determined jointly by employee and supervisor and implemented with management support. Functional based policy and practices exist. Incumbent is provided with the “what”, but is most likely to determine the “how.”
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience, plus at least five (5) years of relevant work experience designing and implementing donor-funded family planning and sexual or reproductive health programs;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate successfully with individuals and teams at all levels
- Professional proficiency in MS Office suite
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and maintaining and environment of diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adolescent and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health issues.
- Master’s Degree in global health, public health, international development, or relevant degree; or Medical Degree
- Prior experience as Deputy COP ideally in sub-Saharan Africa
- Knowledge of local language preferred.
Why you should join the Save the Children Team…
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About Save the Children
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
*Our work for children and their families requires that we commit—at every opportunity—to work together to identify and dismantle persistent systemic and structural racism, inequality, and any other forms of discrimination in this country and beyond. As an anti-racist organization, Save the Children will not tolerate discrimination in any form—in our employment practices, amongst our staff, in our leadership or toward the people we serve. We stand in solidarity with all people to fight for equal rights, justice, inclusion, and belonging.*
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom we are in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children is committed to minimizing safety and security risks for our valued employees, ensuring all are given training, support and information to reduce their risk exposure while maximizing the impact of our programs for children and families. Our shared duty, both agency and individual, is to seek and maintain safe working conditions for all.
How to apply
Qualified applicants should kindly use this link to apply: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/SAV1002STCF/JobBoard/7d92e82b-af74-464d-859b-c5b8cba6e92e/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=9ee2e642-a385-452b-b010-a1a5fcebccb0