Élan 1.2 (www.elanrdc.com) is a complex, two-year, £8 million market systems development programme in the DRC, running from July 2019 to July 2021 (with a possible extension to July 2022). It has a project team of around 30 staff, based in two field offices delivering interventions with various companies, associations and government agencies in multiple provinces across the country.
Élan 1.2 follows a “market systems development” approach (also known as the “Making Markets Work for the Poor” (M4P) approach). This approach seeks to develop and promote sustainable and scalable solutions to systemic constraints in markets that prevent poor producers and consumers from benefiting from their participation in them. The programme is also engaged in several interventions to tackle the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
ASI is seeking an exceptional candidate to replace the departing Deputy team Leader and play a leading role in the delivery of the remainder of the programme.
- To provide support to the Team Leader in the overall strategic and technical leadership of the project.
- To ensure efficient, timely and effective implementation of interventions and continuing development of the intervention portfolio.
- To ensure high-quality deliverables and support the achievement of overall project results targets.
- To take personal responsibility to lead, manage, motivate and develop project staff under her/his line management, encouraging their commitment to project objectives, and meeting their personal development needs.
- To support effective coordination and collaboration between teams and individuals within the project.
- To develop effective working relationships with key stakeholders involved in project governance and delivery.
- Along with the Team Leader and other members of the Senior Management Team, to represent the project, raising awareness and understanding of its work among influential stakeholders and decision makers.
- To support the development and management of knowledge and lessons, suggesting solutions/refinements to the programme approach.
- To encourage and support innovation and excellence across the project.
- To update the Team Leader directly on emerging or outstanding programmatic risks and assist in designing mitigation measures.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• More than 10 years working in a managerial position having led several teams
• Strong track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, complex economic growth programmes for a major donor (experience with DFID/FCDO strongly preferred)
• Strong understanding of portfolio management, communications and engagement and programme management functions
• Proven experience of managing relationships in complex organisations with multiple stakeholders.
• Proven experience in technical management of private sector development programmes.
• Excellent communications and people skills.
• Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
• Fluency in English (written and oral) and working knowledge of French.
• Masters or PhD in a field related to this sector.
• Previous experience of market systems development programmes.
• Prior experience working in Francophone Africa, preferably in the DRC.
• Springfield M4P training.
How to apply
Applications should be sent along with a CV and Covering Letter to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is the 4th December and applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis. We aim to finalise follow-up interviews and recruitment in December to allow for a January start.
TIMING & DURATION
• The position is full-time based in Goma (with travel to Kinshasa and field locations), from January 2021 until July 2021
• The successful candidate is expected to be mobilised no later than January 2021
• There is a potential of a 1-year extension (part-time, until July 2022) pending FCDO’s approval of programme extension