- March 1, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Reporting to: MMC Asia Manager
Supervised by: Mixed Migration Coordinator
Unit/department: Regional team Asia
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
The Mixed Migration Centre (MMC) is a global network consisting of seven regional hubs (Asia, East Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle East, North Africa, West Africa) and a central unit in Geneva. The MMC is a leading source for independent and high-quality data, research, analysis and expertise on mixed migration. The MMC aims to increase understanding of mixed migration, to positively impact global and regional migration policies, to inform evidence-based protection responses for people on the move and to stimulate forward thinking in public and policy debates on mixed migration. The MMC’s overarching focus is on human rights and protection for all people on the move. The three overall objectives of the MMC are:
- To contribute to a better, more nuanced and balanced understanding of mixed migration (knowledge)
- To contribute to evidence-based and better informed migration policies and debates (policy)
- To contribute to effective evidence-based protection responses for people on the move (practice)
The MMC is part of, and governed by DRC. MMC regional hubs are hosted within DRC regional offices, but part of the global MMC network. While its institutional link to DRC ensures MMC’s work is grounded in operational reality, it acts as an independent source of data, research, analysis and policy development on mixed migration for policy makers, practitioners, journalists, and the broader humanitarian sector. The position of the MMC does not necessarily reflect the position of DRC. For more information on MMC visit our website (http://www.mixedmigration.org/).
One of MMC’s flagship projects is the Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4Mi). 4Mi collects data through in-depth structured interviews, identifying protection risks, conditions, experiences and trends faced by people on the move. 4Mi builds a knowledge base around protection and vulnerabilities with a view to informing policy and humanitarian programmatic response as well as enhancing sector understanding and knowledge on migration dynamics.
The MMC Asia has enumerators in Afghanistan, Turkey, Malaysia, and Indonesia.
Overall purpose of the role:
The 4Mi Officer provides day-to-day administrative support to the Mixed Migration team to ensure smooth implementation of 4Mi implementation across Asia, under supervision of the 4Mi Project Coordinator.
4Mi implementation support:
- Support the administrative needs of 4Mi across Asia;
- Support the recruitment of enumerators; liaise with the 4Mi Coordinator and DRC Finance Department to ensure the timely payment of enumerators; and support enumerators to ensure compliance with monthly reporting requirements.
- Develop and maintain logbook with essential correspondence between DRC and 4Mi enumerators; Manage proper storage and archiving of relevant documents and maintain filing system for all 4Mi enumerators.
- Transmit inputs and feedback from enumerators to project staff, including but not limited to, suggestions on revisions to data collection methods; and ensure feedback from project staff reaches enumerators;
- Identify and assess training needs; organize and support the delivery of training for enumerators;
- Assist the 4Mi Coordinator with organizing 4Mi trainings (e.g. booking of flights, basic updating of training material, preparing 4Mi phones).
Data management, research production and knowledge dissemination:
- In collaboration with the Information Management Officer, manage, process, and analyse large quantities of data; ensure availability of clean datasets;
- On a monthly basis: manage the initial quality check of collected 4Mi data based on guidelines and support from the 4Mi Coordinator and Information Management Officer; manage the initial data cleaning process based on guidelines and support from the 4Mi team.
- Support the 4Mi Coordinator and Information Management Officer when needed in improvement of database and website.
- Contribute to drafting and creation of visuals for regularly published information products;
- Work closely with MMC colleagues in researching and analysing migration trends in the region;
Strategy and standards
- Contribute to the development of MMC Asia’s research agenda and strategy.
- Ensure the compliance of MMC standards and guidelines related to 4Mi implementation.
- Work with the regional 4Mi Coordinator and Information Management Officer to develop standardized information management tools, and to improve information management and data processing standards for 4Mi.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated command of working with large quantities of data in Microsoft Excel; ability to process and aggregate data, as well as conduct analysis;
- Understanding of IT systems, including Microsoft Office, and online data collection platforms;
- Knowledge of specialized analysis software (SPSS or R) is desirable;
- Knowledge of spatial mapping software (ArcGIS, QGIS) is advantageous;
- Knowledge of administrative and financial systems;
- Demonstrated ability to produce cogent analyses for a wide variety of audiences;
- Highly organized and methodical;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in a team and/or managing staff remotely;
- Previous experience in data collection activities in humanitarian settings is an asset, as is previous experience in working in mixed migration context/projects in the region is desirable.
- Knowledge of the Asia mixed migration context
- At least Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, including but not limited to data science, international relations, public administration, business administration, political science, sociology, social science, or international development.
- Fluent English
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
How to apply