- November 21, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
The Syria Influencing Team covers advocacy, campaigns, media and communications work within the Oxfam Country Programme. It works in close collaboration with programme and policy teams to deliver high quality and high impact programming; and leverages impact through influencing/advocacy in collaboration with our local partners and allies at national, regional and international level.
In collaboration with Syria country programme staff, partners and allies as well as Oxfam international colleagues, lead in close collaboration of the Policy Coordinator the development and management of Oxfam’s influencing strategy in Syria, covering advocacy, campaigns, , communications and media work, closely linking with the regional humanitarian campaign lead. Ensure that the country programme delivers a coherent policy and influencing strategy, built on programming, cognisant of risk and relevant to the country context. The position holder is part of the Syria Country Program Senior Management Team (SMT).
lead in close collaboration with the Policy Coordinator the development of update and implementation of the influencing strategy and action plans for Syria (including working with staff in Oxfam’s hub offices across Syria), addressing the humanitarian consequences of conflict for civilians, analysing power relations, and identifying advocacy opportunities, in coordination with other Oxfam advocacy and campaign colleagues at regional, affiliate and international level. Integrate all elements of influencing, both global and national-level – campaigns, policy, media/communications – into one vision of work. Manage risks associated with the implementation of Oxfam’s advocacy strategy and action plan.Proactively participate in Syria campaign management decision-making fora (within the region and across Oxfam, linking to the Rights in Crisis campaign), working closely with advocacy and media colleagues across the confederation and in global capitals to ensure consistent and informed messages and strategies at local, regional and global levels.
Media and Communication:
- Ensure the development of a media and comms communications strategy and communications plans for Oxfam’s programme work in Syria, working closely with media and communications colleagues.
- Oversee the production of quality media and communication products, both external as well as internal to Oxfam and its back-donors. (Press releases, blogs, social media posts and other content from inside Syria, including story gathering.
Relationships & networking:
- Build and maintain relationships with key actors inside Syria, including staff working for UN agencies, INGOs, and Syrian Civil Society Organisations based out of Damascus. Maintain proactive relationships with the donor community, in coordination with the Funding Coordinator.
- Provide and share regular analysis on political and programme developments, from an inside of Syria perspective.
- Advise and brief Oxfam spokespeople ahead of external meetings.
Strategic steer & coordination:
- Provide influencing advice and direction to Oxfam in Syria ensuring a good and productive collaboration within the Influencing team and with Oxfam programs ; coordinate with the wider Oxfam coordination structure on Rights in Crisis and other global campaigns as relevant, feeding in Syria information to global advocacy as needed; Support the Country Director and others in building consensus among Oxfam affiliates on policies, and coordinating the internal sign-off process on all Syria policy issues;
- Lead with the support of the Policy Coordinator in the representation and participation in advocacy spaces in coordination with the DCD-P and the CD (i.e., Right in Crisis (RiC), DINGO, SIRF, etc.)
- Support the Policy Coordinator in the representation and participation in policy spaces in coordination with the DCD-P and CD (i.e., sector working groups, workstream, etc).
- work closely with key programme staff (DCD Programme, DCD Support, Humanitarian Programme Coordinator, technical advisers, Policy Coordinator, Area Managers) to ensure strategic influencing at both global and national levels, including supporting the Media and Communications staff to work with programme colleagues to deliver their products to the highest standards and support influencing staff with technical advice in relation to policy components in projects.
Contingency planning & emergency response:
- Working with the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator, Media and Communications Adviser and other relevant staff, contribute to Oxfam’s contingency planning from /advocacy/media perspective. In emergency peaks, coordinate the Oxfam advocacy response.
Cooperation with Oxfam partners:
- To degree possible, advise, liaise with and/or facilitate advice to a diverse network of Oxfam partners and allies in their advocacy efforts and contribute to strengthening the link between Oxfam advocacy and the programs of partners.
- Ensure Syria advocacy documents are made accessible on Oxfam intranet and shared appropriately within and outside Oxfam.
Brand and programme security:
- Liaise with programme staff and affiliates to ensure proper risk management and ensure project/programme proposals and activities are in line with southern campaigning principles.
Annual planning process:
- Contribute to Oxfam’s internal annual and/or quarterly planning and reporting as part of the Country Management Team.
- Manage the influencing team, including direct and indirect management of two team members on a day-to-day basis, performing HR tasks such as work meetings, performance interviews, accepting reports of absence and recovery and passing them on to HR, meetings on frequent absence, co-ordinating and advising on the recruitment and selection procedure.
Active engagement in the Country Management Team:
- Participate in and contribute to the Syria Country Program Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
We’re looking for a candidate who cares about Oxfam’s mission to end poverty and is personally aligned to our feminist principles and values of empowerment, accountability and inclusion in all you do.
An ideal candidate for the role will also be / have:
- Significant and proven work experience, including campaign, advocacy, policy, networking and alliance building in humanitarian crisis context.
- Education in social sciences to degree level, or equivalent. Post-graduate and other training qualifications an advantage.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills and ability to think/operate innovatively and strategically.
- Ability to influence and liaise effectively with key stakeholders and representation in high profile environments.
- Proven ability in developing, implementing, and monitoring of program-based campaign and advocacy strategies (including producing and managing advocacy products)
- Excellent representational and lobbying skills, and experience of advocacy with senior decision-makers.
- Proven evidence of leadership skills including the ability to challenge, motivate and develop direct reports and teams.
- Excellent English oral and written communications skills. Ability to write substantial pieces of analysis.
- Ability to work with significant levels of autonomy and make prompt and sound decisions.
- Flexibility, stamina and ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, to work unsociable hours as necessary.
- Knowledge and experience of promoting gender equity, and an active commitment to promoting the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of program work.
- Experience of managing staff: challenging, motivating, developing, and inspiring team members
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work collaboratively in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Very high-level of self-awareness, interpersonal and communications skills
- Campaign, policy and advocacy experience in Syria or within a Middle East context.
- Experience in media and communications
- Effective oral and written communication in Arabic.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile to this link https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/20318/description