- May 24, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
IRC Background: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40 countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
Job Overview: Under the supervision of the Financial Capabilities Coordinator, the Auto Education Specialist will assist IRC clients in obtaining car loans, educate them on car buying best practices, and providing support throughout the entire car purchasing process. The Auto Education Specialist’s expertise will empower refugees to navigate the complexities of the automotive industry, enhance their negotiation skills, and make informed decisions when buying a car.
- Assist refugees in obtaining car loans by connecting them with financial institutions, including the IRC’s Center for Economic Opportunity, and providing guidance on the loan application process.
- Conduct comprehensive workshops and training sessions to educate refugees on best practices for buying and owning a car in the Central Valley of California.
- Teach negotiation techniques and strategies to clients to help them secure the best possible deals when purchasing a car.
- Accompany clients to view, test drive, and purchase cars, providing guidance and advice throughout the process.
- Conduct online research to identify available cars for sale, utilizing platforms such as dealership websites, online marketplaces, and classified ads.
- Utilize resources like Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds websites to determine the market value of cars, ensuring clients make informed purchasing decisions.
- Build and maintain relationships with local car dealerships, financial institutions, and other relevant stakeholders to enhance the support network available to refugees.
- Stay updated on current trends, policies, and regulations related to car loans, car buying, and ownership to provide accurate and up-to-date information to clients.
- Use ETO and any other funder-required databases to track client services, outcomes, and metrics.
- Monitor and adhere to the program budget throughout the project duration.
- Participate in all staff/ program meetings.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Position Reports to: Financial Capabilities Coordinator
Position directly supervises: Interns and volunteers
Indirect Reporting: Economic Empowerment Manager, Site Director
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC program staff, interns and volunteers
External: Community partners and economic empowerment programs.
- Undergraduate degree in Teaching, Finance, Business, or an equivalent field of study.
- Intermediate level of digital literacy required.
- Highly motivated with an ability to work independently, develop new classes and programming, and be a self-starter, maintaining responsibility for multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated relevant work experience in teaching multicultural populations on relevant topics.
- Prior experience providing direct service to underserved or refugee populations preferred.
- Previous multicultural experience and demonstrated ability to communicate well with people of varied backgrounds strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration across all IRC programs.
- Attention to detail and ability to organize, track, and communicate information efficiently and accurately.
- Excellent knowledge of the Central Valley of California’s automotive market, including dealerships, car models, pricing, and financing options.
- Strong understanding of the car loan application process, including credit checks, interest rates, and loan terms.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and effectively communicate complex concepts to individuals with varying levels of automotive knowledge.
- Proficiency in conducting online research to identify available cars, using various platforms and websites.
- Familiarity with tools such as Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds to determine car values and make informed purchasing decisions.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Blended virtual and office work environment coupled with regular travel in and around the service delivery area.
- Regular travel required to local car dealerships and financial institutions.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply